Page 2 of 5

Re: The Oxford Comma

Posted: January 24 12, 8:08 am
by New Pagodi
Image

Can we get a grammarian's ruling on that one? I don't think it's right. For example, consider the following sentences:

The Pokémon master Ash Ketchum started his adventure with only a single pikachu.

Ash Ketchum, the Pokémon master, started his adventure with only a single pikachu.

In the first sentence, 'Ash Ketchum' an appositive the modifies its preceding phrase. It is an essential or restrictive modifier - it tells us specifically which master we're talking about. Since it is essential, it is not set off with commas.

In the second sentence, the order of the subject has been switched so that the appositive phrase is 'the Pokémon master'. It is an inessential phrase since the sentence retains most of its meaning without it. In English, inessential modifiers are usually set off with commas.

Returning to the example used in the picture, 'JFK and Stalin' is an essential appositive phrase. It tells us specifically which two strippers are being talked about. So I don't think it should be preceded by a comma.

I should probably get more sleep.

Re: The Oxford Comma

Posted: January 24 12, 8:40 am
by heyzeus
lukethedrifter wrote:
AdmiralKird wrote:Heyzeus needs to add another pony to his avatar.

http://gatewayredbirds.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=43236
That might not be the only other Oxford comma thread out there in the GRB ether.
Holy mother of [expletive], we had a 12 page thread about commas? I'm not even mad. I'm just impressed.

Re: The Oxford Comma

Posted: January 24 12, 8:48 am
by MrCrowesGarden
Anti-comma.

But, the real question is: Oxford or serial comma?

Re: The Oxford Comma

Posted: January 24 12, 9:04 am
by Adrian Wapcaplet
My perspective as a guy who writes for a living:

I call it the serial comma, but what's important is that if you always use it, your meaning will never be misconstrued. It's that simple. Refusing to use the serial comma bespeaks both stubbornness and a complete disregard for the reader.

Re: The Oxford Comma

Posted: January 24 12, 9:12 am
by MrSaigon
Wikipedia has a pretty good entry on it and who is for/against.

Re: The Oxford Comma

Posted: January 24 12, 9:43 am
by jim
What is it?

Re: The Oxford Comma

Posted: January 24 12, 9:59 am
by Adrian Wapcaplet
It's the comma before the "and" in a series of three things. For example: periods, commas, and other punctuation. Pujols, Edmonds, and Rolen.

Some people try to argue that it's unnecessary because you pause before the "and" anyway. But it's simply not true that you pause every time you see an "and." When people see "Green Eggs and Ham" they don't read it as "Green Eggs, and Ham."

This is, oddly enough, something I'm passionate about.

Re: The Oxford Comma

Posted: January 24 12, 10:08 am
by Vidor
I'm kind of surprised that this is even a debate. As the cartoon demonstrates, the Oxford comma is both meaningful and necessary.

Re: The Oxford Comma

Posted: January 24 12, 10:18 am
by Adrian Wapcaplet
Vidor wrote:I'm kind of surprised that this is even a debate. As the cartoon demonstrates, the Oxford comma is both meaningful and necessary.
I keep forgetting this isn't Facebook. I spent five minutes trying to find the Like button.

Re: The Oxford Comma

Posted: January 24 12, 10:32 am
by cards2468
Adrian Wapcaplet wrote:
Vidor wrote:I'm kind of surprised that this is even a debate. As the cartoon demonstrates, the Oxford comma is both meaningful and necessary.
I keep forgetting this isn't Facebook. I spent five minutes trying to find the Like button.
Thank god it's not facebook.