Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
- JoeMcKim
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 9248
- Joined: September 8 09, 10:56 pm
- Location: South County, St. Louis
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
Carlson was one of the names listed as playing in the Arizona Fall League this year. It seems like playing in the AFL will be more beneficial to him then getting called up in September. Right now only the starting OFs are getting any significant playing time while they're in a pennant race and with Jose Martinez and Tyler O'Neill due back soon it means even less possible playing time for Carlson. So playing regularly in the AFL makes a lot more sense. Hopefully he can make the team out of Spring Training or shortly thereafter next year.
-
Fat Strat
- Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie
- Posts: 28010
- Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
- Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
Considering service time, the situation on the 40 man heading into the offseason, and our general OF depth, I also think that he should not be called up this September. I really like giving Sept. exposure to guys you're going to want to play the next year, but this is a special case. I bet he debuts in May of 2020 to buy that extra year of control.JoeMcKim wrote:Carlson was one of the names listed as playing in the Arizona Fall League this year. It seems like playing in the AFL will be more beneficial to him then getting called up in September. Right now only the starting OFs are getting any significant playing time while they're in a pennant race and with Jose Martinez and Tyler O'Neill due back soon it means even less possible playing time for Carlson. So playing regularly in the AFL makes a lot more sense. Hopefully he can make the team out of Spring Training or shortly thereafter next year.
Last edited by Fat Strat on August 29 19, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Online
as goold has pointed out, the FO is going to give him every opportunity to play with the big club next year
-
cardsfantx
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 12190
- Joined: November 6 10, 10:58 am
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
2021? did you mean 2020?Fat Strat wrote:Considering service time, the situation on the 40 man heading into the offseason, and our general OF depth, I also think that he should not be called up this September. I really like giving Sept. exposure to guys you're going to want to play the next year, but this is a special case. I bet he debuts in May of 2021 to buy that extra year of control.JoeMcKim wrote:Carlson was one of the names listed as playing in the Arizona Fall League this year. It seems like playing in the AFL will be more beneficial to him then getting called up in September. Right now only the starting OFs are getting any significant playing time while they're in a pennant race and with Jose Martinez and Tyler O'Neill due back soon it means even less possible playing time for Carlson. So playing regularly in the AFL makes a lot more sense. Hopefully he can make the team out of Spring Training or shortly thereafter next year.
as goold has pointed out, the FO is going to give him every opportunity to play with the big club next year
- lukethedrifter
- darjeeling sipping elite
- Posts: 37260
- Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
- Location: Huis Clos
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
He should be brought up now if it helps the team win AND it doesn’t impede his growth.
That goes for anytime
That goes for anytime
-
Fat Strat
- Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie
- Posts: 28010
- Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
- Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
Yup, 2020. (editing original)cardsfantx wrote:2021? did you mean 2020?Fat Strat wrote:Considering service time, the situation on the 40 man heading into the offseason, and our general OF depth, I also think that he should not be called up this September. I really like giving Sept. exposure to guys you're going to want to play the next year, but this is a special case. I bet he debuts in May of 2021 to buy that extra year of control.JoeMcKim wrote:Carlson was one of the names listed as playing in the Arizona Fall League this year. It seems like playing in the AFL will be more beneficial to him then getting called up in September. Right now only the starting OFs are getting any significant playing time while they're in a pennant race and with Jose Martinez and Tyler O'Neill due back soon it means even less possible playing time for Carlson. So playing regularly in the AFL makes a lot more sense. Hopefully he can make the team out of Spring Training or shortly thereafter next year.
as goold has pointed out, the FO is going to give him every opportunity to play with the big club next year
-
PA_Hiker
- Everyday Player
- Posts: 352
- Joined: October 2 16, 4:44 pm
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
The Cards are a team that pretty much never mess with the service time of their players. So I would bet that if Carlson is one of the three best OF next spring, he will join the big league club on opening day. Since I suspect that Ozuna won't be back, I would think that the competition for LF will be between O'Neill and Carlson with Bader in CF and Fowler in RF (and Jmart hopefully gone as well unless no one will trade with us).
Randy Arozarena could be a factor as well although he could end up the 4th OF. His minor league stats point to him potentially being a Tommy Pham lite though so he could man an OF spot if Bader or Fowler falter.
Randy Arozarena could be a factor as well although he could end up the 4th OF. His minor league stats point to him potentially being a Tommy Pham lite though so he could man an OF spot if Bader or Fowler falter.
- Big Amoco Sign
- Master of Hyperbole
- Posts: 14398
- Joined: December 1 17, 11:05 am
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
Didn't they wait until after the Super 2 date for Oscar in 2014? Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe he started like right at June 1.PA_Hiker wrote:The Cards are a team that pretty much never mess with the service time of their players.
It's not like we've had generational position player prospect talent since him. I know they didn't mess with Flaherty's or Reyes's but they needed them to contribute in 2017 to be competitive.
I'm curious how they handle Carlson.
- mikechamp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11714
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
- Location: Southwestern Illinois
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
Good memory. Oscar's 1st game appears to have been May 31.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... &year=2014
Having said that, I don't remember the context around his call-up.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... &year=2014
Having said that, I don't remember the context around his call-up.
-
PA_Hiker
- Everyday Player
- Posts: 352
- Joined: October 2 16, 4:44 pm
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
It was the end of May. I suppose it could be seen as service time manipulation, but the Cards had Holliday, Bourjos, Jay and Craig in that OF. It wasn't quite apparent yet that Craig was toast. OT probably came up about at the right time. Wish we had gotten to see him play out a long career.Big Amoco Sign wrote:Didn't they wait until after the Super 2 date for Oscar in 2014? Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe he started like right at June 1.PA_Hiker wrote:The Cards are a team that pretty much never mess with the service time of their players.
It's not like we've had generational position player prospect talent since him. I know they didn't mess with Flaherty's or Reyes's but they needed them to contribute in 2017 to be competitive.
I'm curious how they handle Carlson.
- Big Amoco Sign
- Master of Hyperbole
- Posts: 14398
- Joined: December 1 17, 11:05 am
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
The cutoff varies but if I'm a betting man, I'd say they waited with Oscar to maximize service time. Especially if they were a day or so away from the cutoff...why not at that point?

