Page 104 of 123
Re: Pujols Signs With Angels
Posted: December 13 11, 9:10 am
by Slider
I just find the 10 year personal service contract really funny as a sign that "they really wanted me..."
For crying out loud Albert (I know Ozzie had a contract not sure about other guys...) Stan hasn't played in a game for nearly 50 years and he is still beloved...Nearly 40 years for Brock and Gibby and they are constantly brought back...you signed a stupid contract for 10 years as "loyalty" yet the rest of your life is not "loyalty?" Whatever, the more you all talk the dumber you all sound.
By the way, I have stayed away from the subject for a reason but I will just say this.
Many know I am a pastor and a very conseravtive guy...Albert is making Christians look pretty bad here in his comments and I cringe with everyone he makes. I would ask that Albert not to be a "guide" or "model" to everyone on here's perception of how Christian thought goes.
Lance Berkman made the best statement I have ever heard by a Christian athlete during the playoffs (paraphrasing) "My faith is essential to me. I don't think God cares if I hit a homerun or if I win, but I ask Him to help me be focused and basically carry myself in a way that is pleasing to Him" He nailed it and I have so much more respect for Lance saying "it is about the money. Anyone who says it is not about the money is lying." Albert should take notes from Lance
Another reason why I love Lance Berkman so much!
Re: Pujols Signs With Angels
Posted: December 13 11, 9:14 am
by Numbers
haltz wrote:Just cringed through that interview. Talking about insults and respect, couching all that [expletive] in WWJD-esque verbiage while referring to 100s of millions of dollars on a Christian talk show is incredibly off-putting. They really need to stop talking.
+++++ to everything
Re: Pujols Signs With Angels
Posted: December 13 11, 9:16 am
by Fat Strat
Slider wrote:I just find the 10 year personal service contract really funny as a sign that "they really wanted me..."
For crying out loud Albert (I know Ozzie had a contract not sure about other guys...) Stan hasn't played in a game for nearly 50 years and he is still beloved...Nearly 40 years for Brock and Gibby and they are constantly brought back...you signed a stupid contract for 10 years as "loyalty" yet the rest of your life is not "loyalty?" Whatever, the more you all talk the dumber you all sound.
By the way, I have stayed away from the subject for a reason but I will just say this.
Many know I am a pastor and a very conseravtive guy...Albert is making Christians look pretty bad here in his comments and I cringe with everyone he makes. I would ask that Albert not to be a "guide" or "model" to everyone on here's perception of how Christian thought goes.
Lance Berkman made the best statement I have ever heard by a Christian athlete during the playoffs (paraphrasing) "My faith is essential to me. I don't think God cares if I hit a homerun or if I win, but I ask Him to help me be focused and basically carry myself in a way that is pleasing to Him" He nailed it and I have so much more respect for Lance saying "it is about the money. Anyone who says it is not about the money is lying." Albert should take notes from Lance
Another reason why I love Lance Berkman so much!
++
Berkman is awesome. Love the perspective and attitude that he and Wainwright and Holliday bring.
Re: Pujols Signs With Angels
Posted: December 13 11, 9:17 am
by jagtrader
Who would have thought Berkman would be celebrated and Pujols lamented on a Cardinals message board? Times change fast in MLB.
Re: Pujols Signs With Angels
Posted: December 13 11, 9:21 am
by Popeye_Card
jagtrader wrote:Who would have thought Berkman would be celebrated and Pujols lamented on a Cardinals message board? Times change fast in MLB.
I'll be honest. Even before Pujols departed, if you would have given me the option of having Berkman on the team since 2001 vs. having Pujols, I would have taken Berkman. Slight difference in production, but a huge difference in attitude, which I admit that my fandom is somewhat based on--having players that I like cheering for.
Don't know what it is about Pujols. Always have appreciated the production, but he's never been one of my favorite players.
Re: Pujols Signs With Angels
Posted: December 13 11, 9:25 am
by jagtrader
Berkman is a rare combination of talent, perspective, candor and intellect. It's refreshing.
Re: Pujols Signs With Angels
Posted: December 13 11, 9:30 am
by a_smith
In the HOF-
you can give the Angels Nolan Ryan- he pitched more innings for the Angels than anyone else and was there far longer than at Texas
Re: Pujols Signs With Angels
Posted: December 13 11, 9:33 am
by cards2468
jagtrader wrote:Berkman is a rare combination of talent, perspective, candor and intellect. It's refreshing.
I wish we had him his whole career, he's a great guy to have around.
Albert left us for truck loads of money. He got his. Albert gave us 88 wins above replacement level for a salary severely less than what value he provided. We got ours.
Re: Pujols Signs With Angels
Posted: December 13 11, 9:35 am
by heyzeus
Slider wrote:
Lance Berkman made the best statement I have ever heard by a Christian athlete during the playoffs (paraphrasing) "My faith is essential to me. I don't think God cares if I hit a homerun or if I win, but I ask Him to help me be focused and basically carry myself in a way that is pleasing to Him" He nailed it and I have so much more respect for Lance saying "it is about the money. Anyone who says it is not about the money is lying."
Berkman shows why respect can't be bought.
Re: Pujols Signs With Angels
Posted: December 13 11, 9:37 am
by Hungary Jack
The amateur psychiatrist in me senses a fair amount of buyer's remorse within the Pujols clan. They'll get over it.
But they should stop with the public trial of how the negotiations went down, and just move on to California and get of with their lives. The court of public opinion is pretty squarely within the FO's corner, and there is little Deidre and Albert can do to sway that at this point. I understand that all sides with a stake in this issue (except Angels fans) are disappointed, but there does not have to be a conviction. Just move on Albert.