Page 13 of 29

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: August 31 10, 8:29 pm
by sighyoung

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: August 31 10, 9:40 pm
by TGantz
[/youtube]

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: September 4 10, 9:36 am
by JL21
More opera. I know it's not classical per se but I'd be remiss if I didn't share this. I found out about it while watching The Double Life of Veronique earlier this week and it's an astounding piece. You drown in minor chords.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bHC8XEfEYk&sns=em][/youtube]

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: September 4 10, 9:42 am
by redbirdjazzz
[/youtube]

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: September 5 10, 7:34 pm
by sighyoung

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: November 9 10, 8:09 pm
by Leroy
Sunday my wife and I bought at auction a box of about 100 cassettes for 5 bucks. 50% classical, 40% 70's mainstream and 10% Irish stuff. I just pulled out one to see how they sound. Mozart: Divertimento K. 131/ Cassation K. 99. I have no idea what any of that means except that I'm inspired to try to listen to one side of all of these tapes a day.

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: November 9 10, 8:21 pm
by sighyoung
That sounds interesting. A divertimento is a suite of light entertainment music consisting of a few short pieces--often after-dinner or outdoor music. A cassation is basically the same thing.

The "K." for Mozart is the Köchel listing, or catalog number of Mozart's compositions--like an opus number. Those are really early compositions (written when he was 13 and 17, respectively), so it should be easy-listening classical music.

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: November 9 10, 8:23 pm
by Leroy
That is about right. Pretty light stuff except for the Adagio on the first one, but really good. If he wrote that before he was 18, I might as well quit. :)

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: November 14 10, 8:02 pm
by sighyoung

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: December 3 10, 6:57 pm
by sighyoung