Page 14 of 26
Re: Rant: Tebow
Posted: December 27 11, 1:11 pm
by Bo Hart
I think, at least relative to baseball, football stats are overrated. There is way too much of a team dynamic going on to put too much stock into individual numbers. This is especially true with Tebow and quarterback stats, considering he's not a traditional quarterback and doesn't play in a traditional-style offense. I also seriously entertain ideas and concepts like "clutch" and "intangibles" in football more so than baseball. Finally, I think Tebow has major Derek Jeter syndrome going on: polarization to the point that he's either so praised that he's overrated, or bashed so severely that he's underrated.
I think he did positively contribute to the Broncos run, but he obviously had a lot of assistance. In one of the games I watched, the Broncos kicked a game-tying 59-yard field goal as time expired. The real hero in that game was clearly Matt Prater.
I'm interested in seeing how his career plays out. I could see him becoming a decent quarterback and having a decent career, but I could see him transitioning to a new position within a couple years. I think that the future for him is largely an unknown.
Re: Rant: Tebow
Posted: December 28 11, 1:21 am
by MrSaigon
Kyle wrote:I think, at least relative to baseball, football stats are overrated. There is way too much of a team dynamic going on to put too much stock into individual numbers. This is especially true with Tebow and quarterback stats, considering he's not a traditional quarterback and doesn't play in a traditional-style offense. I also seriously entertain ideas and concepts like "clutch" and "intangibles" in football more so than baseball. Finally, I think Tebow has major Derek Jeter syndrome going on: polarization to the point that he's either so praised that he's overrated, or bashed so severely that he's underrated.
I think he did positively contribute to the Broncos run, but he obviously had a lot of assistance. In one of the games I watched, the Broncos kicked a game-tying 59-yard field goal as time expired. The real hero in that game was clearly Matt Prater.
I'm interested in seeing how his career plays out. I could see him becoming a decent quarterback and having a decent career, but I could see him transitioning to a new position within a couple years. I think that the future for him is largely an unknown.
I'm scratching my head here. Are you saying you absolutely love him and want to bare his children, or that he should be urinated on and sacrificed to Cthulu? Or are you exploring as yet traversed--anywhere--middle ground?
Re: Rant: Tebow
Posted: December 28 11, 10:54 am
by Bo Hart
MrSaigon wrote:I'm scratching my head here. Are you saying you absolutely love him and want to bare his children, or that he should be urinated on and sacrificed to Cthulu? Or are you exploring as yet traversed--anywhere--middle ground?
I'm ambivalent. I'm an innocent bystander that thinks that both sides have legitimate points to support their claims.
Re: Rant: Tebow
Posted: December 28 11, 10:57 am
by Bo Hart
Socnorb11 wrote:jim wrote:If the bears don't just give the game away that would be 3 in a row.y
If the Broncos hadn't dumped Orton for Tebow, it would probably be about 9 in a row.
This is kind of off-topic, but, uhm... who was that guy for the Chiefs? The one that lead a team who had lost five of their last six to a victory over the undefeated Packers? He had like 299 yards passing. I always forget his name.
Re: Rant: Tebow
Posted: December 28 11, 11:22 am
by AdmiralKird
possibly nsfw
- [SHOW]

Re: Rant: Tebow
Posted: December 28 11, 12:09 pm
by Socnorb11
Kyle wrote:Socnorb11 wrote:jim wrote:If the bears don't just give the game away that would be 3 in a row.y
If the Broncos hadn't dumped Orton for Tebow, it would probably be about 9 in a row.
This is kind of off-topic, but, uhm... who was that guy for the Chiefs? The one that lead a team who had lost five of their last six to a victory over the undefeated Packers? He had like 299 yards passing. I always forget his name.
It was the same guy that threw 3 interceptions and lost to the Packers in Week 4 (as a member of the Broncos).
FWIW, Green Bay has the 2nd worst pass defense in the NFL.
Re: Rant: Tebow
Posted: December 28 11, 12:32 pm
by Michael
Socnorb11 wrote:FWIW, Green Bay has the 2nd worst pass defense in the NFL.
I believe that's because they run up the score on teams and use the prevent defense.
Re: Rant: Tebow
Posted: December 28 11, 2:29 pm
by cardsfansince82
They also gamble a lot on coverages since they are playing from ahead all the time. The packers have 29 INTs, eight more than the second best team.
Re: Rant: Tebow
Posted: December 28 11, 3:17 pm
by Radbird
All I can say is if you think the Tebow coverage is too much where you live you should be thankful that you aren't in his home market.
Re: Rant: Tebow
Posted: December 28 11, 4:10 pm
by Socnorb11
Radbird wrote:All I can say is if you think the Tebow coverage is too much where you live you should be thankful that you aren't in his home market.
What's the vibe there, Rad. Positive? Negative? Mixed bag? Are people being reasonable?