Page 15 of 25

Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!

Posted: October 3 07, 3:42 pm
by JL21
maddash wrote:
RC21 wrote:With all due respect to Luhnow, the way that it was handled- essentially Walt being told that he had to do what ownership wanted- had to cause tension. Given his track record here, particularly at the time that shook down, I don't blame him for being annoyed by that or for it to create tension.

WJ has more than earned the right here to put his front office together the way he wishes to.
Owners giving carte blanche to a GM, even one as successful as Walt, is asking quite a bit don't you think?
I wouldn't consider hiring his own staff to be carte blanche. That seems like a pretty reasonable request for someone in WJ's position.

Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!

Posted: October 3 07, 3:43 pm
by haltz
Radbird wrote:
heyzeus wrote:I see a lot of the recent problems as related to ownership/budget. I'm fearful that the owners will just install some yes man.
Yep, that is my fear as well, zeus.
I don't really know what that means. It's not like a GM can spend money that an owner doesn't want to.

Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!

Posted: October 3 07, 3:46 pm
by JL21
Fat Strat wrote:
RC21 wrote:With all due respect to Luhnow, the way that it was handled- essentially Walt being told that he had to do what ownership wanted- had to cause tension. Given his track record here, particularly at the time that shook down, I don't blame him for being annoyed by that or for it to create tension.

WJ has more than earned the right here to put his front office together the way he wishes to.
Normally I would agree, except that the minor league system was in shambles three-four years ago. The move to Luhnow was clearly the right move. The '05 and '06 drafts have been outstanding, and I think you have to give Mozeliak and Luhnow a lot of credit for that.

THAT SAID, I don't know enough about this situation to determine how much different things would be in that front office if Jocketty had gotten his way. I don't think any of us do.

All I can say is that Mo and Luhnow have done a fantastic job in the last two years, when they were working with each other to direct the drafting, scouting, etc. Over the same period of time Jocketty has allowed the big league club to slip and made some very questionable decisions along the way.

All I'm really saying is that I think there's more to this than just Jocketty not getting his way. There seems to be a reason why DeWitt forced Jocketty to accept Luhnow, and the results seem to support DeWitt... at least in the minor league department.
The pre-Luhnow group gave them Yadi, Pujols, Drew, Ankiel, Haren, tons of acceptable trading chips that yielded Kile, Edgar, Edmonds, Will Clark, etc...

In short, it was in a shambles but that type of thing is cyclical and the overall track record was not one of a shambles.

Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!

Posted: October 3 07, 3:49 pm
by docellis
I wonder if there were any ultimatums - or if Walt walked into this meeting ready to leave St. Louis. I assume they must have known that this was coming since they were able to work out the financials so quickly.

I wonder what that means anyway - I wonder what type of financial stuff was sorted out.

edit, nevermind:
Jocketty's contract runs through 2008. Team president Mark Lamping said Jocketty will be paid through the end of the contract.

Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!

Posted: October 3 07, 3:49 pm
by MDCardsFan
This is just dumb all the way around. I really got nothing more to add. Welcome to the early 90's..

Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!

Posted: October 3 07, 3:52 pm
by cardinalkarp
MDCardsFan wrote:This is just dumb all the way around. I really got nothing more to add. Welcome to the early 90's..
Will that really be smart of ownership? Just building a brand new stadium if they don't show that they are going to put a winning team on the field its going to reflect that in the stands as well, I can almost guarantee it.

Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!

Posted: October 3 07, 3:53 pm
by Michael
I have to admit, I'm excited about the change. This team has been going in the wrong direction for about 3 years.

That said, Walt was great and he has my respect and admiration.

Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!

Posted: October 3 07, 3:53 pm
by mcgee51taguchi99
Did anyone ask DeWitt whether Jocketty's payout would be calculated into the team's payroll the next couple of years?

Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!

Posted: October 3 07, 3:55 pm
by Asmodai
dont steal chris from me

Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!

Posted: October 3 07, 3:57 pm
by maddash
So Walt gets to take Mulder with him, right? :P