Page 15 of 31

Re: What the hell is (a) bitcoin?

Posted: December 10 21, 9:10 am
by heyzeus
I think it's pretty clear that GRB deserves a 50% finder's fee if we help Smith Corks One unearth his old bitcoins.

Re: What the hell is (a) bitcoin?

Posted: December 10 21, 11:29 am
by Smith Corks One
heyzeus wrote: ↑
December 10 21, 9:10 am
I think it's pretty clear that GRB deserves a 50% finder's fee if we help Smith Corks One unearth his old bitcoins.
Would you settle for 5 years of hosting costs?

Re: What the hell is (a) bitcoin?

Posted: December 10 21, 12:17 pm
by heyzeus
Smith Corks One wrote: ↑
December 10 21, 11:29 am
heyzeus wrote: ↑
December 10 21, 9:10 am
I think it's pretty clear that GRB deserves a 50% finder's fee if we help Smith Corks One unearth his old bitcoins.
Would you settle for 5 years of hosting costs?
I mean, I'd settle for baconator right now.

Re: What the hell is (a) bitcoin?

Posted: December 10 21, 8:06 pm
by Smith Corks One
So, uh, maybe I'm onto something? Definitely found the USB drive. I'm thinking the TrueCrypt was used to encrypt the bitcoin wallet...but where is the wallet? Maybe under "data"? It shows 3 GB of something in there. When I try to open "data," it asks what I want to open it with but nothing I can find works. No idea what kind of format it is. I didn't know much about this stuff at the time and know even less now. I'll have to dive into that TrueCrypt User Guide when I get some time.

I'm fairly certain nothing will end up coming of this, but I have to admit it's getting me at least a little bit excited! Treasure hunts are fun no matter the outcome.

Image

Re: What the hell is (a) bitcoin?

Posted: December 10 21, 8:54 pm
by Superorganism
Do you have the password for the TrueCrypt encryption?

Re: What the hell is (a) bitcoin?

Posted: December 11 21, 3:01 pm
by Transmogrified Tiger
Having used Truecrypt before, you open Truecrypt, select the volume you want to open(presumably that ‘data’ file but in theory it can be any file), and then enter the password to decrypt it. Once decrypted you can open the decrypted files/folders like any other.

Re: What the hell is (a) bitcoin?

Posted: December 11 21, 5:01 pm
by Smith Corks One
I doubt I'll ever remember the password...or passphrase. I mean, I keep telling myself there's a chance, but I think it's more of a Jim-Carrey-Dumb-and-Dumber kind of chance.

Re: What the hell is (a) bitcoin?

Posted: December 11 21, 6:09 pm
by Smith Corks One
That "data" file is around 3 gb... I looked up the size of the Bitcoin blockchain over time, and guess what? It was around 3 gb right around that time. I'm having trouble believing that would be a coincidence.

Re: What the hell is (a) bitcoin?

Posted: December 11 21, 8:49 pm
by Superorganism
Oh man. Gotta be it!

Re: What the hell is (a) bitcoin?

Posted: December 11 21, 10:37 pm
by thrill
This is great. Losing track of a volatile asset for so long that it appreciates astronomically while also not having to care about the volatility along the way? Sounds ideal. No need to ride the roller coaster. Took away your ability to sell on an impulse when it hit like $10k or something.