Page 16 of 211

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: May 23 11, 9:47 pm
by MrSaigon
Just 3 forwards for the U.S. in the Gold Cup? Can any of those mids move up?
I guess they can't score anyway. I was hoping Davies would get to go (and I'm hoping he's well enough to see me on Sunday).

Is a Turkish second league club better than playing in MLS?

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: May 24 11, 8:20 am
by thrill
Dude this Gold Cup roster is [expletive].

G: Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

D: Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Étienne), Jonathan Bornstein (Tigres), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brøndby), Eric Lichaj (Aston Villa), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)

MF: Freddy Adu (Rizespor), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (New England Revs), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew)

F: Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Jozy Altidore (Bursaspor), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
MrSaigon wrote:Just 3 forwards for the U.S. in the Gold Cup? Can any of those mids move up?
I assume Dempsey will play forward against tough teams. Will see Agudelo-Altidore against the minnows.

MrSaigon wrote: I was hoping Davies would get to go (and I'm hoping he's well enough to see me on Sunday).
Me too but at least he has an excuse, an injury. Teal Bunbury or Herculez Gomez should absolutely be on this squad instead of Wondolowski.

MrSaigon wrote:Is a Turkish second league club better than playing in MLS?
Hell no. This Adu call up is inexplicable. Makes me miss Stu Holden. That should be his roster spot.

Also Robbie Rogers sucks, shouold have been Alejandro Bedoya. Apparently Tim Chandler wanted the summer off since this was his first year of a full season starting with Nurnberg, but I love him and think he'd be dangerous for us.

The roster is good enough to win it for us, and it appears Bob is treating it like a World Cup and won't experiment unless it's some Caribbean gimme, but there's still some odd choices.

I'm guessing this is the primary lineup:

---------------------------------------Howard---------------------------------------------
-------Cherundolo--------Onyewu---------------Ream-----------Bocanegra---------
--------Donovan-----------Bradley----------Jones-----------------Dempsey----------
-----------------------------Altidore------Agudelo----------------------------------------


Then against tough teams it'll be something like this with Dempsey and Donovan cheating forward on offense and getting back on defense.

---------Bradley----------Jones--------Edu/Feilhaber-------------
--------------Donovan------------------------Dempsey--------------
------------------------------Altidore----------------------------------

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: May 25 11, 11:25 am
by InvincibleCakeEater
Image

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: May 25 11, 1:14 pm
by robbotis
My squad(Juventus) just signed Pirlo, NICE!!!

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: May 25 11, 2:16 pm
by thrill
5 years ago it'd be nice.

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: May 26 11, 9:32 am
by robbotis
thrill wrote:5 years ago it'd be nice.
He'll be fine. They tried for Forlan, but I guess he's going to go play for some oil baron in the Middle East that will pay him way too much.

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: May 26 11, 5:09 pm
by TGantz
robbotis wrote:
thrill wrote:5 years ago it'd be nice.
He'll be fine. They tried for Forlan, but I guess he's going to go play for some oil baron in the Middle East that will pay him way too much.
Forlan would have been great. I absolutely love watching him play. Pirlo is ok I guess, but he's definitely lost a step.

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: May 27 11, 9:25 am
by thrill
robbotis wrote:
thrill wrote:5 years ago it'd be nice.
He'll be fine. They tried for Forlan, but I guess he's going to go play for some oil baron in the Middle East that will pay him way too much.
Well Forlan or no, it looks like you guys have some cash to splash (even if people keep turning you down).
http://theoriginalwinger.com/2011-05-26 ... m-juventus
Sportsmail is reporting that club officials from Juventus, who were in Manchester for Gary Neville’s testimonial approached Carlos Tevez with a massive £20million a year (plus bonuses) offer to join the club. Andrea Agnelli, who is currently serving as president of the Italian football and
has been said to be personally overseeing the pursuit of Tevez, saw the Argentine as the first step an attempt to return Juventus to former glory.
20 million pounds to live in Torino and play soccer? Who turns that down? Tevez is a weird dude.

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: May 28 11, 12:15 pm
by Tambourine Man
Time to hate on Rooney and stumpy people in general.

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: May 31 11, 7:33 am
by TimeForGuinness
Tambourine Man wrote:Time to hate on Rooney and stumpy people in general.
The goals by Villa and Messi were great strikes