Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Is that to say that anyone in their right mind would pick the Cubs? Not at all. But you all are smart enough to know why someone would make that choice, and it's not a crazy one by any means.
It's not crazy, but it's not a better decision.
Right.
If you're someone who has succeeded in their field to the extent that you have a shot at the Cardinals or Cubs managerial job, you have the confidence that you'll be able to win despite historic baggage. Chicago offers so much that St Louis doesn't that any manager might (I SAID MIGHT) prefer to manage there for the same reasons that I believe Theo Epstein is general managing there but would never have left Boston to come to St Louis were we looking for a GM. Although resources the Cubs can offer a general manager are more important to a GM than a manager when you consider the existing product on the field and the depth of our minor league system compared to the Cubs. GM's get multiple managerial hires typically. Someone like Theo will have as many as he wants. That gives a GM the luxury of going somewhere where the long term payoff would be higher but will take longer to achieve.
@dgoold Derrick Goold
Favorite Retweet Reply · Open
Mozeliak has has a list of manager candidates who intrigue him in his desk drawer for at least three years. Now gets to use it
What about Ryne Sandburg? Would it be a 'better decision' for him to manage the Cubs or Cards? Like Albert, Ryne would get much more leeway and freedom with the Cubs. More support from fans. Etc.
I would think that he would be a possible candidate. I would support it. Without a doubt.
Chicago offers so much that St Louis doesn't that any manager might (I SAID MIGHT) prefer to manage there for the same reasons that I believe Theo Epstein is general managing there but would never have left Boston to come to St Louis were we looking for a GM.
EXCEPT that the Red Sox under Epstein have always treated the manager role as the guy who fills out the lineup, makes pitching changes, and doesn't really have much impact on really winning or losing. I don't really see that changing for Theo with the Cubs. In Chicago, you would be 2nd or 3rd fiddle to Epstein and his GM. In StL, you have a manager's GM and owner.
jagtrader wrote:Why is this thread about the Cubs? Who cares? Let's talk about who will manage the Cardinals next season and La Russa's legacy here.
Good point. We'll have our manager before the Cubs do anyway. I would give the Cards about a week before we announce a replacement. This won't take very long at all.