Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
User avatar
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Posts: 62315
Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by Radbird »

slide_into_first wrote:Yahoo says the Rockies offer had been 4/72 not 4/80.
You're right, slide. Here's the link I remembered reading the 4/80 on.

http://umpbump.com/press/2009/05/03/mat ... ies-money/

If you click on the four-year, $80 million contract link in that article it takes you to this one which says it was "in the neighborhood of $18-$20 million per".

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2 ... artner=RSS

The latter article is an interesting one about Matt's views at the end of the 2008 season on signing with the Rockies, being traded, or becoming a free agent.
But Holliday strenuously denies he has made a decision to test the market. To the contrary, he suggests the Rocks are determining that outcome by the nature of their offer.

"I'd like to stay here and be part of this and play here a long time, but there are things as a player that are important to me, and if those aren't part of whatever their offer is or ends up being, maybe I will test the market," he said.

"But to say that I don't want to be here and that I'm headed to the open market to get the most money I can get is extremely inaccurate."

User avatar
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn
Posts: 43288
Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by heyzeus »

They worked out the deal here in Austin today. Although I took a flight from st Louis back to Austin, all I saw at the airport was
milt thompson

User avatar
ManEatingTarp
Veteran Player
Posts: 526
Joined: April 16 06, 7:06 pm
Location: Hog butcher to the world.

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by ManEatingTarp »

Happy with the deal. I think this sets the Birds up for the next 4-5 years (as long as they sign Pujols, and I think they will.)

I'll enjoy comparing Holliday and Soriano's numbers with my idiot Cub fan friends and family in a few years. :)

User avatar
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster
Posts: 28275
Joined: October 12 07, 12:28 pm
Location: Raptured

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

heyzeus wrote:They worked out the deal here in Austin today. Although I took a flight from st Louis back to Austin, all I saw at the airport was
milt thompson
Man, you could have been the Dave Gall of GRB.

Swatcat27
All-Star
Posts: 1830
Joined: July 25 06, 12:58 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by Swatcat27 »

let's go get Smoltz now...and put him to setup Franklin.

User avatar
haltz
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22630
Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by haltz »

LOL at Cubs fans thinking the Cards overpaid. Anything to somehow get rid of the taste of that Soriano contract.
the Soriano comparison is retarded, but whatever helps them sleep at night.

Soriano 2004-2006: 9.3 WAR, +47 offense
Holliday 2007-2009: 20 WAR, +128 offense

I still don't see why they went that high or that long, but it's not a terrible deal. 93-94 paper wins on January 5th is awesome.

and props to the dude at scout that leaked this.

Swatcat27
All-Star
Posts: 1830
Joined: July 25 06, 12:58 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by Swatcat27 »

While Pujols wasn’t as effective with Holliday in a St. Louis uniform – his OPS before the deal was 1.161, after it 1.018 – he obliquely pointed to Holliday’s return as a sign of the Cardinals’ dedication as he approaches free agency in 2011.
Just sayin.
Last edited by Swatcat27 on January 5 10, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster
Posts: 28275
Joined: October 12 07, 12:28 pm
Location: Raptured

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

haltz wrote:
LOL at Cubs fans thinking the Cards overpaid. Anything to somehow get rid of the taste of that Soriano contract.
the Soriano comparison is retarded, but whatever helps them sleep at night.

Soriano 2004-2006: 9.3 WAR, +47 offense
Holliday 2007-2009: 20 WAR, +128 offense

I still don't see why they went that high or that long, but it's not a terrible deal. 93-94 paper wins on January 5th is awesome.

and props to the dude at scout that leaked this.
Soriano stole 89 bases. Your argument is invalid.

User avatar
haltz
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22630
Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by haltz »

Swatcat27 wrote:
While Pujols wasn’t as effective with Holliday in a St. Louis uniform – his OPS before the deal was 1.161, after it 1.018 – he obliquely pointed to Holliday’s return as a sign of the Cardinals’ dedication as he approaches free agency in 2011.
Just sayin.
???

User avatar
Cole Burns
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 3749
Joined: July 30 06, 10:53 am
Location: I'm not here.

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by Cole Burns »

Swatcat27 wrote:
While Pujols wasn’t as effective with Holliday in a St. Louis uniform – his OPS before the deal was 1.161, after it 1.018 – he obliquely pointed to Holliday’s return as a sign of the Cardinals’ dedication as he approaches free agency in 2011.
Just sayin.
Image

Locked