Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
MrSaigon

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by MrSaigon »

Too long, too much, but I'm thrilled.

What does Holliday have to say about Jesus' breakfast burrito?
Can Wainwright pitch without being distracted by his mancrush?

User avatar
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear
Posts: 13356
Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
Location: South City

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by JCShutout »

Cronos69 wrote:
JCShutout wrote:I'd rather Smoltz start and Garcia be a swingman/6th starter (not too many innings after surgery plz), and then Smoltz can be a RP in the playoffs.
5th starter is rarely needed to actually start every 5th day (due to off-days); if they need to give him rest they can do so. I'd like to see what Garcia's got. Besides, I'm not sure Smoltzy will go that cheap. At this point I would think he's going to go the Roger Clemens/Pedro Martinez route and sign halfway through the year.

At this point, I'd say Lohse is probably going to slot in as the 4th/5th starter anyways.
Carp
AW
Lohse
Penny
___________

To have a guy coming of injury (or Boggs, ugh) in that #5 spot when Lohse and Carp are slight health concerns is too gutsy for my like. I'd rather have Smoltz giving us 5 effective innings (and Boggs/Garcia mopping up on those 5th days and starting when people are injured/need rest) than start with Garcia coming off of surgery.

Just my preference though, I'm hesitant with pitchers and surgeries and building arm strength and all that.

User avatar
JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls
Posts: 15010
Joined: April 16 06, 9:15 pm

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by JackofDiamonds »

:cm:

User avatar
cards2468
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 14745
Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by cards2468 »

Cronos69 wrote:
JCShutout wrote:I'd rather Smoltz start and Garcia be a swingman/6th starter (not too many innings after surgery plz), and then Smoltz can be a RP in the playoffs.
5th starter is rarely needed to actually start every 5th day (due to off-days); if they need to give him rest they can do so. I'd like to see what Garcia's got. Besides, I'm not sure Smoltzy will go that cheap. At this point I would think he's going to go the Roger Clemens/Pedro Martinez route and sign halfway through the year.

At this point, I'd say Lohse is probably going to slot in as the 4th/5th starter anyways.
With as much money as we have invested in 4 starting pitchers, I'd prefer we protect those investments with a decent 5th starter so they can occasionally have the extra day off.

User avatar
Cronos
In perpetuum
Posts: 34778
Joined: June 30 06, 7:49 am
Location: St. Louis

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by Cronos »

cards2468 wrote:
Cronos69 wrote:
JCShutout wrote:I'd rather Smoltz start and Garcia be a swingman/6th starter (not too many innings after surgery plz), and then Smoltz can be a RP in the playoffs.
5th starter is rarely needed to actually start every 5th day (due to off-days); if they need to give him rest they can do so. I'd like to see what Garcia's got. Besides, I'm not sure Smoltzy will go that cheap. At this point I would think he's going to go the Roger Clemens/Pedro Martinez route and sign halfway through the year.

At this point, I'd say Lohse is probably going to slot in as the 4th/5th starter anyways.
With as much money as we have invested in 4 starting pitchers, I'd prefer we protect those investments with a decent 5th starter so they can occasionally have the extra day off.
I'd rather invest the team invest the majority of their money in good starting pitching anyway. I don't think investing in a 5th starter "protects" them in the end. If Carp and Wainwright are going to blow their arms off in the future it will have had little to do with whether Smoltz pitches in the 5th spot or if Garcia does. Or Boggs. Or Wellemeyer.

Worry about the relievers, not the starters, when it comes to durability/injury risk of rotation pitchers, IMO. Because if we lose Carp and Wainwright we're in trouble and we know it. Planning for the worst in this economy leads to bad decisions (Lohse).

User avatar
cards2468
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 14745
Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by cards2468 »

your post made it seem like you wanted the Cards to run a 4 man rotation with an occasional spot start in the 5 spot

User avatar
Cronos
In perpetuum
Posts: 34778
Joined: June 30 06, 7:49 am
Location: St. Louis

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by Cronos »

cards2468 wrote:your post made it seem like you wanted the Cards to run a 4 man rotation with an occasional spot start in the 5 spot
Worked last year with a pretty pathetic crew working the 5th spot.

Or in GRB terms, when you have Carp/Wain/Penny you can have LOL and OMG/WTF in the 4th and 5th spot.

And if we lose the top two then we're done no matter what happens.

User avatar
cards2468
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 14745
Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by cards2468 »

Cronos69 wrote:
cards2468 wrote:your post made it seem like you wanted the Cards to run a 4 man rotation with an occasional spot start in the 5 spot
Worked last year with a pretty pathetic crew working the 5th spot.

Or in GRB terms, when you have Carp/Wain/Penny you can have LOL and OMG/WTF in the 4th and 5th spot.

And if we lose the top two then we're done no matter what happens.
yea, it was fine down the stretch... but not for an entire season...

User avatar
haltz
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22630
Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by haltz »

If you have 5 guys start every single game, that's 32.4 starts a piece. Very few teams have done something like that recently, let alone use just 4 primary starters.

We'll need 5 for sure, most likely 7+.

User avatar
cards2468
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 14745
Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by cards2468 »

haltz wrote:If you have 5 guys start every single game, that's 32.4 starts a piece. Very few teams have done something like that recently, let alone use just 4 primary starters.

We'll need 5 for sure, most likely 7+.
Seriously. The odds that Carp, Waino, Lohse and Penny all make ever single start is very very small.

Locked