Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
User avatar
Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5409
Joined: April 18 06, 7:22 pm
Location: Birthplace of Baseball- Hoboken, NJ

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by Fan_In_NY »

Isn't Red Schoendienst required to manage for a few games during every vacancy?

Also what about Tony Pena? I know he shown brightly for KC for a tiny period of time. Now with the Yankees staff. Has a strong Latin influence and connections to Stl...

User avatar
Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 8386
Joined: May 12 06, 7:09 pm
Location: CoMo

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by Secret Weapon »

One thing we have to remember...

Oquendo shows No Mercy

User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by lukethedrifter »

vinsanity wrote:I would love to see them talk to Joe McEwing to at least beat the 3B Coach if they hire Oquendo for the managerial spot.
I think Joe McEwing just got hired by the White Sox.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie
Posts: 28010
Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by Fat Strat »

vinsanity wrote:I would love to see them talk to Joe McEwing to at least beat the 3B Coach if they hire Oquendo for the managerial spot.

As for why Oquendo; a decade with Tony has to rub off on you, continuity, has stirred interest from other teams wanting him to manage, plenty of time coaching in the majors. There are some things to like about him.
I agree. The only reason why I like Pettini more is that he's shown some real creativity in analyzing the roster, the statistical tendencies of his players, and then putting them into a position to maximize their value. I realize that's putting a lot of weight onto his idea of playing Craig at 2b, but it's an actual physical managerial decision. What do we know about Oquendo? He can sometimes gets his players to listen to him as they are rounding third? He can turn OF'ers into awful middle infielders?

We just don't have enough information about any of these guys and their managerial abilities to really have any idea what we're talking about.

User avatar
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22007
Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
Location: High A Minors

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by pioneer98 »

Fan_In_NY wrote:Isn't Red Schoendienst required to manage for a few games during every vacancy?

Also what about Tony Pena? I know he shown brightly for KC for a tiny period of time. Now with the Yankees staff. Has a strong Latin influence and connections to Stl...
I like that idea.

User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by lukethedrifter »

I would settle for Mike Sciosia.

User avatar
BW23
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12896
Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by BW23 »

Will Lilliquist be a candidate for pitching coach? I have to think Duncan had already made up his mind which helped Tony in making up his.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie
Posts: 28010
Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by Fat Strat »

lukethedrifter wrote:I would settle for Mike Sciosia.
++

User avatar
docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief
Posts: 24741
Joined: April 18 06, 6:54 pm

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by docellis »

Image

User avatar
vinsanity
Chili dog truther
Posts: 8836
Joined: July 3 06, 2:19 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by vinsanity »

lukethedrifter wrote:
vinsanity wrote:I would love to see them talk to Joe McEwing to at least beat the 3B Coach if they hire Oquendo for the managerial spot.
I think Joe McEwing just got hired by the White Sox.
I thought I mentioned that, ya he's the White Sox 3B coach but how do coaches contracts work? Seems like pitching coaches/base coaches/bench coaches move around pretty freely?

Locked