Page 3 of 5

Posted: April 9 07, 2:38 pm
by mcgee51taguchi99
thrill wrote:I'd like to put out the cautionary tale of sample size out there for our pitching.

I'm not sure when/if we can become full believers in the four healthy guys, but it isn't that time yet.
Well considering they did the same in ST (of course there's a lot of debate on what ST #s are worth) I'm starting to believe this might be the beginning of a trend.

Wow could I not commit to that any more?

Posted: April 9 07, 2:38 pm
by TGantz
Is Franklin going to continue to pitch against LH hitters? Or is he sharing the SU role with Flores or Johnson?

Posted: April 9 07, 2:39 pm
by thrill
mcgee51taguchi99 wrote:Wow could I not commit to that any more?
Lol, I hope you are right.

Posted: April 9 07, 2:43 pm
by DynamicDynamite
thrill wrote:I'd like to put out the cautionary tale of sample size out there for our pitching.

I'm not sure when/if we can become full believers in the four healthy guys, but it isn't that time yet.
no doubt... thats the beauty of baseball right there... with it only being the beginning of the second week of the season things are thrown in the air as far as wondering and making things just seem so much better...

Im all for saying right now that braden looper and kip wells will finish 1-2 in the Cy Yong voting(now that is a joke)...

interesting note they are 17th according to MLB.com in overrall pitching ERA wise(not sure on the splits between the rotation and the pen, but the pen has been the shaky spot outside of Isringhausen and Frankling for the most part.)

but for the team to have a 4.08 ERA it is a good better than I'd say the starters ERA after todays game(considering the stats aren;t current since today isnt included in the 4.08), will have to drop it down around 3.40 or so overrall...

more than likely won't stay that way all year, but if they can stay somewhere around 10-15 in the bigs I'd say they will be good overrall and stay competitive all year long.

now just hope for the best with Carp and then we dont have to hold out breath with the rest of the guys...

Posted: April 9 07, 2:46 pm
by DynamicDynamite
The funny thing is you have to wonder if Preston started hearing the talk shows and wondering if people were going to run him out of town since he has started hitting the ball the last few days...

Maybe he and So realized that they needed to show a little bit of something so that being the old guys they wouldn't get cut just because they couldn't hack it(course I still see both of them getting cut at some point since WIlson has and always will be a streaky hitter)

Posted: April 9 07, 2:48 pm
by Phyrkrakr
TimmyG wrote:Is Franklin going to continue to pitch against LH hitters? Or is he sharing the SU role with Flores or Johnson?
I imagine we'll see Flores and Johnson a few more times in the 8th inning, but eventually I'd like to see that be a one man job. And that man, if he keeps pitching like this, is Ryan Franklin.

If the starters continue to put up a solid 7, however, there'll be a lot of rotation in the 8th inning just so guys can get some work in. I'm not going to guess what Tony will do, but with his penchant for matchups, I'm sure we'll see a ton of lefty-lefty/righty-righty situations.

Posted: April 9 07, 2:49 pm
by cabby7588
Thrills avatar: =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Posted: April 9 07, 3:38 pm
by greenback44
Nice of Wilson to get the big hit there. Both for his sake and so Edmonds won't whine.

Posted: April 9 07, 4:18 pm
by PurdueSTL
thrill wrote:I'd like to put out the cautionary tale of sample size out there for our pitching.

I'm not sure when/if we can become full believers in the four healthy guys, but it isn't that time yet.
Fair enough that it strains logic to assume the starting pitching will remain this dominant, but IMO it ALSO strains logic to assume that the hitting will remain substandard...

Posted: April 9 07, 5:02 pm
by thrill
PurdueSTL wrote:
thrill wrote:I'd like to put out the cautionary tale of sample size out there for our pitching.

I'm not sure when/if we can become full believers in the four healthy guys, but it isn't that time yet.
Fair enough that it strains logic to assume the starting pitching will remain this dominant, but IMO it ALSO strains logic to assume that the hitting will remain substandard...
I agree. Our two best hitters are playing way below what they will end up at.