Page 3 of 4

Posted: April 28 07, 7:22 pm
by MrCrowesGarden
StL Dan wrote:I like the Carriker pick for the Rams in the first round. At 6' 6", 305 lbs, it looks like he'll play on the interior DEF line.

FB Brian Leonard looks like a nice 52nd overall pick, as well. I would have liked to see an OL or another DEF position player chosen in the 2nd round, however, the Rams definitely filled a hole on the OFF by getting a solid FB in Leonard to complement or even back up Jackson at the RB spot.

Here is a nice highlight video piece of Leonard: Brian Leonard highlights
Leonard is a good player but a bad fit for the Rams IMO. Especially when they have so many needs on the defensive side of the ball...it just seems a waste to use any first-day pick on something other than defense.

Like I said, I like him, but an odd selection for this team at this time.

Posted: April 28 07, 7:58 pm
by stretch
They have got to do something about the length of the draft. Maybe change the time limits to 12 minutes first round, 8 minutes second round.

Posted: April 28 07, 8:05 pm
by StL Dan
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
StL Dan wrote:I like the Carriker pick for the Rams in the first round. At 6' 6", 305 lbs, it looks like he'll play on the interior DEF line.

FB Brian Leonard looks like a nice 52nd overall pick, as well. I would have liked to see an OL or another DEF position player chosen in the 2nd round, however, the Rams definitely filled a hole on the OFF by getting a solid FB in Leonard to complement or even back up Jackson at the RB spot.

Here is a nice highlight video piece of Leonard: Brian Leonard highlights
Leonard is a good player but a bad fit for the Rams IMO. Especially when they have so many needs on the defensive side of the ball...it just seems a waste to use any first-day pick on something other than defense.

Like I said, I like him, but an odd selection for this team at this time.
I have to agree.

Posted: April 28 07, 8:06 pm
by cabby7588
The Colts first two players play the same position as three pro-bowlers on the current roster.

And I think both picks are going to work out just great.

Posted: April 28 07, 10:03 pm
by ZigZagCardsFan
Here's my take on the Rams draft:

1.) Adam Carriker - a week ago I had convinced myself I didn't want this guy. After I heard plans that they wanted to move him to the inside, and interviews with Carriker himself, I was definitely excited they took him since Willis and Akoye were gone.

2.) Brian Leonard - I hated this pick when we made it. After researching the guy, I think it's an ok pick and while I think Leonard could be a rock solid player, I can't see why the Rams would pass on good pass rushing talent like Crowder from Texas.

3.) Jonathan Wade - This guy sounds like a poor man's Tye Hill. Very athletic but will need work before he can contribute. If he continues to develop he could be a very solid pick. For some reason, I'm a little worried about his transition to the pros.

Overall I think the Rams earned a C+ so far on the draft. If they can get a pass rushing DE like Robison in the 4th round tomorrow that'll quickly jump to a B.

Posted: April 28 07, 10:17 pm
by GatewaySnayke
You simply cannot sit there and go straight defense.

If you're a Rams fan, you'll remember that they tried to spend a couple of drafts focusing solely on defense, and it backfired, because it left their offense a giant shell of its former self because there was nobody who could come in and perform at a high-level.

If Jackson gets hurt, the Rams have a guy who can step up and fill-in for them. They also get a guy who can come in on short-yardage downs. This was a good pick as far as I'm concerned.

Posted: April 28 07, 10:23 pm
by ZigZagCardsFan
Instead you used a #2 on Leonard and as it stand right now, you're left with 3 DE's, two of which are over 31 years of age.

I don't think Carriker's athletic enough to turn the corner as an outside pass rusher. If they can't get one of the few good DE's left, they'll be in trouble if James Hall gets injured again.

Posted: April 28 07, 11:41 pm
by StL Dan
I don't see Carriker developing into an outside pass rusher. Too big...not fast enough.

Posted: April 29 07, 1:18 am
by thrill
I enjoy Carriker on the inside. I was against him on the outside, but he could be very disruptive in the middle.

I like the idea of getting a backup running back/FB, but not in the second round. Especially when there are still guys to be had out there like Pittman from Ohio State.

Posted: April 29 07, 1:31 am
by Secret Weapon
What I don't like about the Leonard pick is he is gonna get what, 6-8 plays per game? You can get someone in the later rounds for that. With a second round pick you want someone who has a chance to be a starter or at least have a bigger impact on the game. Just seems like a waste when there were lots of other needs to be filled.