Page 3 of 3

Posted: April 30 07, 12:48 pm
by Transmogrified Tiger
Like RC alluded to, the Yankees have been the unluckiest team in the AL pythagorean wise(only the Cubs have been unluckier in all of MLB). Their run differential says they should be 12-12 and tied for 2nd place, it would be a terrible overreaction to do something rash like fire Torre.

Posted: April 30 07, 1:49 pm
by Fan_In_NY
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Like RC alluded to, the Yankees have been the unluckiest team in the AL pythagorean wise(only the Cubs have been unluckier in all of MLB). Their run differential says they should be 12-12 and tied for 2nd place, it would be a terrible overreaction to do something rash like fire Torre.
They will continue to have an uneven pythagorean record because they their offense tends to blow teams out when they get the pitching behind them. I look at lucky/unlucky at individual games, and the Yankees have had as many blown saves, 1 run losses, as games they had no business winning (A-Rod's Grand Slam off of Ray, their huge huge comeback in hte 9th versus the Indians with another Walk-off HR by ARod).

They will rarely get blown out. If their pitching has a good start they win 10-3. if it doesnt they lose 8-7.

Posted: April 30 07, 1:53 pm
by Transmogrified Tiger
Fan_In_NY wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Like RC alluded to, the Yankees have been the unluckiest team in the AL pythagorean wise(only the Cubs have been unluckier in all of MLB). Their run differential says they should be 12-12 and tied for 2nd place, it would be a terrible overreaction to do something rash like fire Torre.
They will continue to have an uneven pythagorean record because they their offense tends to blow teams out when they get the pitching behind them. I look at lucky/unlucky at individual games, and the Yankees have had as many blown saves, 1 run losses, as games they had no business winning (A-Rod's Grand Slam off of Ray, their huge huge comeback in hte 9th versus the Indians with another Walk-off HR by ARod).

They will rarely get blown out. If their pitching has a good start they win 10-3. if it doesnt they lose 8-7.
I think they've had way more bad luck than good fortune, even including A-Rod's madness and their subpar pitching. They're 3-10 in games decided by 2 or less, that's going to even out some, even if they don't end up at .500 or over .500 in those games.

Posted: April 30 07, 2:17 pm
by JL21
Also, I'm doubting Mo Rivera continues to blow saves like this. With a guy like that, you pretty much wait for him to prove that he's not good anymore. He's been so good for so long that he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

Posted: April 30 07, 3:11 pm
by ghostrunner
You want to talk about bad pitching, look at the team ahead of them.

NY has scored 131 and allowed 125

Tampa Bay has scored 126 and allowed....162. No really. I thought it was a typo. They've been getting blown out on a regular basis. When they've had a lead, by the way, our old friend Al Reyes has maintained it 9 times in 9 chances. Rivera isn't having that good fortune right now.

Posted: April 30 07, 3:29 pm
by Old_Timer_1944
I just think how sad it would be to be Torre's age and have to live the rest of my life on his meager retirement. Wait a minute, I am almost Torre's age! And I am living on retirement! Maybe just a bit less than Joe's will be.

Let 'em give you the axe and laugh all the way to the bank, Joe. Of course, I do understand that baseball probably gets in your blood a little more than the mundane work I did for 45 years.