biggsy, you keep in touch with tyrell jenkins over twitter, right?
You got any problem with how he uses it? Personally, I don't give a rats ass, but other people might. This morning alone he retweeted Mayweathers tweet about Lin and retweeted a racist/stereotypical joke about black people. On top of all the n-bombs he drops, seems like that might turn a lot of people off once he starts getting a lot of followers....
Re: Tyrell Jenkins Tracker
Posted: March 29 12, 7:10 am
by Slider
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:biggsy, you keep in touch with tyrell jenkins over twitter, right?
You got any problem with how he uses it? Personally, I don't give a rats ass, but other people might. This morning alone he retweeted Mayweathers tweet about Lin and retweeted a racist/stereotypical joke about black people. On top of all the n-bombs he drops, seems like that might turn a lot of people off once he starts getting a lot of followers....
I actually have quit following him twice, and am following him again. I actually fear that his immaturity might be a down fall for him if things don't change quickly. The guy is only 19, already has 2 kids by different girls, and does nothing but talk about drama with girls on his twitter. Then there a lot of retweets he gives to his friends using terms that I am not comfortable with.
I know that certain terms in the AA community are "okay" used towards each other that are not okay for a white person to say. For a white guy that has adopted a bi-racial child and 3 AA kids and just had an another AA child move in with us this past week that we will adopt...I find those terms offensive regardless of ethnic background and codes, etc.
Our 3 AA that are a sibling group came into our home dropping the N word left and right at each other (at the time ages 7, 6, 5)...We broke that habit pretty quick. I just don't see how Dr. King or Mr. Mandella would appreciate AA's calling each other degoratory terms...I could be wrong
Anyhow I got off on a soap box, not what I meant to do. Back to Jenkins, I hope he matures fast...remember reading Matheny talking about his actions on the mound and saying "when carp does it, it is competitiveness, when you do it, it is immaturity." His maturity will be his biggest obstacle to overcome and the only thing I see that might hold him back from living up to his hype. I am pulling for him big time.
Re: Tyrell Jenkins Tracker
Posted: March 29 12, 7:20 am
by cards2468
That's a bit of a shame. I hope he grows up quickly.
And I agree, it's a negative word no matter who uses it. Richard Pryor had a great bit on it and pretty much alluded to saying it's a word of pure hate and that using the word hurts the community. And that's Richard Pryor, who was a very vulgar comedian.
McGee, Ozzie and Brock were all in camp this spring, right? I hope he got a chance to speak with some very well spoken African Americans who are part of the Cardinals family.
Re: Tyrell Jenkins Tracker
Posted: March 29 12, 12:04 pm
by TAZ
Slider wrote:I know that certain terms in the AA community are "okay" used towards each other that are not okay for a white person to say.
This might be appropriate to put here ... or maybe not
[/youtube]
Re: Tyrell Jenkins Tracker
Posted: March 29 12, 1:17 pm
by JackofDiamonds
Why are you adopting kids from AA? Drunk kids are a sad sight.
Never let children mix your drinks for you. It's unseemly and they use too much vermouth.
Re: Tyrell Jenkins Tracker
Posted: March 29 12, 1:23 pm
by cards2468
JackofDiamonds wrote:Never let children mix your drinks for you. It's unseemly and they use too much vermouth.
sig worthy
Re: Tyrell Jenkins Tracker
Posted: April 2 12, 4:09 pm
by JoeMcKim
Looks like Jenkins will be in Quad Cities this year, so that's probably a good 2 years from the big leagues for him. I reckon he might finish the season at Palm Springs.
Re: Tyrell Jenkins Tracker
Posted: April 2 12, 5:18 pm
by a_smith
JoeMcKim wrote:Looks like Jenkins will be in Quad Cities this year, so that's probably a good 2 years from the big leagues for him. I reckon he might finish the season at Palm Springs.
Participating in St. Louis’ major-league spring training camp provided Tyrell Jenkins with more than a small taste of life in the big leagues.
“It was more like a huge bite, a really great experience. There’s no shortage of motivation now,” Jenkins said Tuesday before working out at Modern Woodmen Park, where he is scheduled to start on the mound for Quad-Cities in Thursday’s 7 p.m. Midwest League opener.
Motivation never has been an issue. A supplemental first-round draft choice of the Cardinals in 2010, Jenkins had signed a letter of intent to play football at Baylor before opting for baseball.
“At the end of the day, I couldn’t see myself playing quarterback in the NFL, but I could see myself in the major leagues,” Jenkins said. “Baseball gives me the best chance to get to where I want to be, so I’m taking that chance and running with it.”