Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
-
Jocephus
- 99% conan clips
- Posts: 64992
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
whats dusty's contract situation?
- Bo Hart
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 8770
- Joined: April 14 06, 9:50 pm
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
This is kind of bittersweet. The end of an era. La Russa did a lot of things well (great motivator, exceptional job of putting players in positions to succeed), and I think things like that were often overlooked by his detractors (including myself). I also think he had some glaring weaknesses, like a tendency to "over-manage" or the fact that he seemingly had a lot of pull with regards to transactions we made (although I guess this is debatable).
Anyway, I'm glad he's gone, but change is always hard. Every time I've left a job in my life -- no matter how awful or horrible it was -- there was always that short period of time after leaving that I felt a little bit of nostalgia for the position. This is sort of a similar situation.
Anyway, I'm glad he's gone, but change is always hard. Every time I've left a job in my life -- no matter how awful or horrible it was -- there was always that short period of time after leaving that I felt a little bit of nostalgia for the position. This is sort of a similar situation.
- ilstu24
- All-Star
- Posts: 1344
- Joined: September 24 08, 10:31 am
- Location: Illinois St.
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
I hope Tony gets his place in Cooperstown. I'm willing to bet more than a handful won't vote for him for the hall because of mistakes some players he managed made.
- docellis
- America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief
- Posts: 24741
- Joined: April 18 06, 6:54 pm
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
is that true?ELIAS: Tony La Russa is only individual in MLB history to win a World Series in final season as a manager.
-
Fat Strat
- Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie
- Posts: 28010
- Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
- Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
OK, here's my quick list of guys that I think might be serious candidates, in a very rough and debatable order of highest probability to lower probability:
Jose Oquendo
Jim Riggleman
Terry Francona
Joe Pettini
Joe Maddon
Ryne Sandberg
Chris Maloney
Jose Oquendo
Jim Riggleman
Terry Francona
Joe Pettini
Joe Maddon
Ryne Sandberg
Chris Maloney
- vinsanity
- Chili dog truther
- Posts: 8836
- Joined: July 3 06, 2:19 pm
- Location: Indianapolis
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
I almost think I'd rather have Pettini. What do you think of his exit from Washington?Fat Strat wrote:Jim Riggleman
- lukethedrifter
- darjeeling sipping elite
- Posts: 37260
- Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
- Location: Huis Clos
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
There has never been a surer Hall of Famer.ilstu24 wrote:I hope Tony gets his place in Cooperstown. I'm willing to bet more than a handful won't vote for him for the hall because of mistakes some players he managed made.
-
Slider
- All-Star
- Posts: 1645
- Joined: July 23 08, 2:36 pm
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Initial candidates I like in no particular order
Maddon
Sandberg (I think he will make a great manager...but it would be really great for him to come here and win a championship...that itself might sink the whole Cubs org. all together. LOL)
Riggleman
Terry Pendleton
Mike S. (this is the most unlikely option....to tied to the angels)
Please stay away from
Bowa
Pettini
Bobby V.
Francona
Pena
Bell
Guys I would be fine with
Jose O.
Big Mac
Pop Warner
Maddon
Sandberg (I think he will make a great manager...but it would be really great for him to come here and win a championship...that itself might sink the whole Cubs org. all together. LOL)
Riggleman
Terry Pendleton
Mike S. (this is the most unlikely option....to tied to the angels)
Please stay away from
Bowa
Pettini
Bobby V.
Francona
Pena
Bell
Guys I would be fine with
Jose O.
Big Mac
Pop Warner
-
Slider
- All-Star
- Posts: 1645
- Joined: July 23 08, 2:36 pm
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Also TLR leaving could have a positive impact on getting AP to stay...no other manager is going to make what TLR made, that could free up another 2mil a year possibly to throw his way.
- wart57
- just can't quit you.
- Posts: 25075
- Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
- Location: Lost
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Just give the job to Jim.....our GRB Jim.Fat Strat wrote:OK, here's my quick list of guys that I think might be serious candidates, in a very rough and debatable order of highest probability to lower probability:
Jose Oquendo
Jim Riggleman
Terry Francona
Joe Pettini
Joe Maddon
Ryne Sandberg
Chris Maloney





