Page 21 of 39

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 10:30 am
by Jocephus
whats dusty's contract situation?

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 10:30 am
by Bo Hart
This is kind of bittersweet. The end of an era. La Russa did a lot of things well (great motivator, exceptional job of putting players in positions to succeed), and I think things like that were often overlooked by his detractors (including myself). I also think he had some glaring weaknesses, like a tendency to "over-manage" or the fact that he seemingly had a lot of pull with regards to transactions we made (although I guess this is debatable).

Anyway, I'm glad he's gone, but change is always hard. Every time I've left a job in my life -- no matter how awful or horrible it was -- there was always that short period of time after leaving that I felt a little bit of nostalgia for the position. This is sort of a similar situation.

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 10:33 am
by ilstu24
I hope Tony gets his place in Cooperstown. I'm willing to bet more than a handful won't vote for him for the hall because of mistakes some players he managed made.

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 10:34 am
by docellis
ELIAS: Tony La Russa is only individual in MLB history to win a World Series in final season as a manager.
is that true?

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 10:35 am
by Fat Strat
OK, here's my quick list of guys that I think might be serious candidates, in a very rough and debatable order of highest probability to lower probability:

Jose Oquendo
Jim Riggleman
Terry Francona
Joe Pettini
Joe Maddon
Ryne Sandberg
Chris Maloney

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 10:37 am
by vinsanity
Fat Strat wrote:Jim Riggleman
I almost think I'd rather have Pettini. What do you think of his exit from Washington?

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 10:37 am
by lukethedrifter
ilstu24 wrote:I hope Tony gets his place in Cooperstown. I'm willing to bet more than a handful won't vote for him for the hall because of mistakes some players he managed made.
There has never been a surer Hall of Famer.

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 10:38 am
by Slider
Initial candidates I like in no particular order

Maddon
Sandberg (I think he will make a great manager...but it would be really great for him to come here and win a championship...that itself might sink the whole Cubs org. all together. LOL)
Riggleman
Terry Pendleton
Mike S. (this is the most unlikely option....to tied to the angels)

Please stay away from
Bowa
Pettini
Bobby V.
Francona
Pena
Bell


Guys I would be fine with
Jose O.
Big Mac
Pop Warner

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 10:39 am
by Slider
Also TLR leaving could have a positive impact on getting AP to stay...no other manager is going to make what TLR made, that could free up another 2mil a year possibly to throw his way.

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 10:39 am
by wart57
Fat Strat wrote:OK, here's my quick list of guys that I think might be serious candidates, in a very rough and debatable order of highest probability to lower probability:

Jose Oquendo
Jim Riggleman
Terry Francona
Joe Pettini
Joe Maddon
Ryne Sandberg
Chris Maloney
Just give the job to Jim.....our GRB Jim.