Swings harder than anyone I've ever seen...including Dustin Pedroia.jim wrote:I am dying to see this guy play. I've read so much about him, sat with a Cards scout on a flight back from Florida a couple of weeks ago who just gushed over this guy. 330/382/589 in AA at the age of 20.
As far as keeping guys together as they advance to keep them comfortable, I don't think it's a terrible idea as long as it's reasonable.
Oscar Taveras
-
phins
- Sobbing quietly during Fox programming
- Posts: 12082
- Joined: June 9 06, 3:51 pm
Re: Oscar Taveras
- Swirls
- gone fission
- Posts: 8299
- Joined: December 11 07, 4:15 pm
- Location: South Korea
Re: Oscar Taveras
Harder than Holliday?phins wrote:Swings harder than anyone I've ever seen...including Dustin Pedroia.jim wrote:I am dying to see this guy play. I've read so much about him, sat with a Cards scout on a flight back from Florida a couple of weeks ago who just gushed over this guy. 330/382/589 in AA at the age of 20.
As far as keeping guys together as they advance to keep them comfortable, I don't think it's a terrible idea as long as it's reasonable.
- MinorLeagueGuy
- The Angst is Real
- Posts: 18456
- Joined: September 8 10, 2:57 pm
Re: Oscar Taveras
Peds swings uber-hard. Minor League Guy might need to tone it down.
-
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
- "I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
- Posts: 27563
- Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
- Location: Thinking of the Children
Re: Oscar Taveras
[/youtube]
Here's a video. He swings at the 25 second mark.
I saw him a couple months ago or so with slider when Springfield came to LR. He sees the ball well and it appears as if he is trying to kill someone when he swings, the video doesn't do the violence of his swing justice.
If you're going to compare his swing to anyone, Prince Fielder might be the closest you'll find. I don't know if they do shifts in the minors, but if he was in the big leagues, there's no doubt in my mind the SS would be playing on the right side of second base.
Here's a video. He swings at the 25 second mark.
I saw him a couple months ago or so with slider when Springfield came to LR. He sees the ball well and it appears as if he is trying to kill someone when he swings, the video doesn't do the violence of his swing justice.
If you're going to compare his swing to anyone, Prince Fielder might be the closest you'll find. I don't know if they do shifts in the minors, but if he was in the big leagues, there's no doubt in my mind the SS would be playing on the right side of second base.
-
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
- "I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
- Posts: 27563
- Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
- Location: Thinking of the Children
Re: Oscar Taveras
Here's a video from only last year with him, wong and rosenthal featured.
[YouTube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=4pZ ... =endscreen][/YouTube]
Pretty crazy they were all in QC last year and Rosenthal is in the bigs and Wong and Taveras will be there likely before the end of next year. That's some quick moving...
[YouTube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=4pZ ... =endscreen][/YouTube]
Pretty crazy they were all in QC last year and Rosenthal is in the bigs and Wong and Taveras will be there likely before the end of next year. That's some quick moving...
-
phins
- Sobbing quietly during Fox programming
- Posts: 12082
- Joined: June 9 06, 3:51 pm
Re: Oscar Taveras
Different types of swings, but Taveras swings as though his life depends on it. Wouldn't shock me if he pulls a lat or two in his career.Swirls wrote:Harder than Holliday?phins wrote:Swings harder than anyone I've ever seen...including Dustin Pedroia.jim wrote:I am dying to see this guy play. I've read so much about him, sat with a Cards scout on a flight back from Florida a couple of weeks ago who just gushed over this guy. 330/382/589 in AA at the age of 20.
As far as keeping guys together as they advance to keep them comfortable, I don't think it's a terrible idea as long as it's reasonable.
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: Oscar Taveras
Yeah he doesn't get cheated up there, does he? I've been reading/talking/digging through videos on this guy I honestly can say that I am more excited about him than I have been in years for any Cardinal prospect - including Rasmus and Miller. He just looks like a hitting specimen, lightening quick swing and strong as an ox. That video that AW posted at 45 seconds where he golfed one I'm guessing 450 feet is crazy. But what is maybe more impressive to me that I think is the triple. AW talks about the shift, not sure about that. I've seen him go the other way, and if you keep defenses honest like that it's going to translate into success. That triple he hit when he rounde second he reminded me a little bit of Roberto Clemente the way those arms were pumping.
- BW23
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 12896
- Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm
Re: Oscar Taveras
jim...I'm right there with ya. I'm excited about him big time. I probably had Adams higher at the start of the season, and I still expect big things from him, no pun intended. I'm heading over to watch Taveres right now. Hoping Fuentes gets to pitch, too.
-
phins
- Sobbing quietly during Fox programming
- Posts: 12082
- Joined: June 9 06, 3:51 pm
Re: Oscar Taveras
Watched Taveras last night. Oh man, those wrists are like lightning.
I might have been most improved about an out he made. He's got two strikes and looking fastball obviously, pitcher throws a nasty breaking ball on the outside corner. He lets it ride deep and realizes it is a strike late. His hands and wrists were just unreal and he smacks a ball the other way that had vapor trails on it. The 3B'man picks it and throws him out, but the 70 grades on the hit tool might just turn out to be light in the end.
Strong, graceful, powerful kid. We have something special here...
I might have been most improved about an out he made. He's got two strikes and looking fastball obviously, pitcher throws a nasty breaking ball on the outside corner. He lets it ride deep and realizes it is a strike late. His hands and wrists were just unreal and he smacks a ball the other way that had vapor trails on it. The 3B'man picks it and throws him out, but the 70 grades on the hit tool might just turn out to be light in the end.
Strong, graceful, powerful kid. We have something special here...
Online
-
cardsfantx
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: November 6 10, 10:58 am
Re: Oscar Taveras
just 2 for 3 last night...a triple and HR, 3 runs, 3 runs batted in.
330/388/593 (980 ops) with 19 hr, 28 2b, 5 3b...60 runs, and 75 runs batted in.
oh, and just turned 20 a month ago...kid is just sick
330/388/593 (980 ops) with 19 hr, 28 2b, 5 3b...60 runs, and 75 runs batted in.
oh, and just turned 20 a month ago...kid is just sick


