Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
- cards2468
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 14745
- Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
- Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Sad to see him go, but I think it's for the best. I really didn't start paying attention to the Cards until 1996, so it's going to be strange seeing somebody else. What a way to go out. The greatest decision makers of all time are highly loved and highly hated. Tony will go down as a Cardinal legend and one of the greatest managers of all time.
I'll echo the sentiment that Red is the interim manager until the new manager is selected.
I'm guessing Dunc will follow Tony out. The new manager will have his own staff, but I hope he keeps Big Mac.
I'll echo the sentiment that Red is the interim manager until the new manager is selected.
I'm guessing Dunc will follow Tony out. The new manager will have his own staff, but I hope he keeps Big Mac.
-
Slider
- All-Star
- Posts: 1643
- Joined: July 23 08, 2:36 pm
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Whitey was similiar and he is still loved and I think Washington should have ponied up for himvinsanity wrote:I almost think I'd rather have Pettini. What do you think of his exit from Washington?Fat Strat wrote:Jim Riggleman
-
Fat Strat
- Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie
- Posts: 28010
- Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
- Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
I didn't really like it at the time. I understood it, but didn't really like it. For the Cards it would just be so different. He would probably start with a multi-year deal and he wouldn't be this lame-duck guy that management wasn't certain about bringing back. He would be the guy.vinsanity wrote:I almost think I'd rather have Pettini. What do you think of his exit from Washington?Fat Strat wrote:Jim Riggleman
As far as his on-the-field stuff, I wish I knew more about him and had paid more attention at his other stops. He's extremely well respected in the Cards organization and he seems to be a very good talent evaluator... which is one of my top priorities in a manager.
Edit: One more thing about the Washington situation. I understood it from both sides -- from Washington's and from Riggleman's. It became a mess, largely because Riggleman wanted it to become a mess. If I was Washington, I would have stuck with him. But, the GM and the club have complete control and I can understand that they wanted to go their own way.
Last edited by Fat Strat on October 31 11, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Slider
- All-Star
- Posts: 1643
- Joined: July 23 08, 2:36 pm
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Thoughts on Terry Pendleton????
I know for the longest time he was the the supposed choice to replace Cox one day and then he got completely overlooked. Has he soured...I am intrigued by him
I know for the longest time he was the the supposed choice to replace Cox one day and then he got completely overlooked. Has he soured...I am intrigued by him
- cards2468
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 14745
- Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
- Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Was Tony the last prolific manager? In an era of stats and less focus on managerial decisions, it just doesn't seem like managers are as emphasized as they once were.
- Fan_In_NY
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 5409
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:22 pm
- Location: Birthplace of Baseball- Hoboken, NJ
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Pendleton is an interesting one. I kinda like that one.Slider wrote:Thoughts on Terry Pendleton????
I know for the longest time he was the the supposed choice to replace Cox one day and then he got completely overlooked. Has he soured...I am intrigued by him
I am not a fan of Riggleman at all. I know people are tending to remember him "fondly" for getting the Nats on a hot streak before he left, but I think if I remember correctly he has the lowest winning percentage of any manager who has managed as many games as he has.
I either want a new manager that shows he has a brain for the game (able to understand proper double switches, sample size/platoon advantages, etc) or an experienced manager who has shown the ability to manage in the postseason successfully.
- fanforever
- Retired
- Posts: 67125
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:03 pm
- Location: Northern NJ-The Twilight Zone
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
for Experience:
Ron Gardenhire
Joe Maddon
Terry Francona
Please no Oquendo...please
Ron Gardenhire
Joe Maddon
Terry Francona
Please no Oquendo...please
- cards2468
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 14745
- Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
- Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Jim Tracy from Colorado?
-
dmarx114
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 25473
- Joined: December 20 07, 2:45 pm
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Gardenhire........yes.fanforever wrote:for Experience:
Ron Gardenhire
Joe Maddon
Terry Francona
Please no Oquendo...please
All 3 choices would make up my "A list".
- Fan_In_NY
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 5409
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:22 pm
- Location: Birthplace of Baseball- Hoboken, NJ
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
And 2 out of the 3 are under contract. I hope most people arent getting their hopes high on guys that currently are employed. I would put the odds that not only the Cards paying in salary and players to get those managers low...but also the odds are extremely low that their current teams would be willing to let the Cards talk to their managers. This isnt college sports where you just grab any manager/coach you want.dmarx114 wrote:Gardenhire........yes.fanforever wrote:for Experience:
Ron Gardenhire
Joe Maddon
Terry Francona
Please no Oquendo...please
All 3 choices would make up my "A list".

