Page 23 of 39

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 11:05 am
by jagtrader
This is a fascinating hire. Don't see the Cardinals going with a big name like Francona but it's risky to hire a first-time guy. The Braves reporter is saying Pendleton is a candidate. So it's not just message board fodder. That's an interesting option.

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 11:07 am
by BigDCardlvr
I say hire someone from here. We learned how idiotic LaRussa was from all the geniuses here. Make one them prove they can do better.

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 11:09 am
by vinsanity
What kind of return would Tampa want for Maddon? $1.4M on his contract and only for next year? What did the Cubs end up sending to Boston for Epstein? it'd have to be less than that no?

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 11:11 am
by Fat Strat
And 2 out of the 3 are under contract. I hope most people arent getting their hopes high on guys that currently are employed. I would put the odds that not only the Cards paying in salary and players to get those managers low...but also the odds are extremely low that their current teams would be willing to let the Cards talk to their managers. This isnt college sports where you just grab any manager/coach you want.
I agree with you, but for a few guys -- namely Maddon -- the Cards might be able to pull it off. First, because the Rays would willingly take the money and maybe a minor prospect or two. They aren't an organization that feels like having a great, experienced manager is an integral part of the way they operate.

I wouldn't go much beyond Maddon, though. Guys like Scoscia or Gardenhire aren't realistic possibilities.

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 11:16 am
by Swingingbunt
Add me to the surprised list. Glad he went out on his own terms, though. Definitely mixed feelings.

I do think the roster will have a younger look from the bench next year. My guess is that they'll go internal for a backup catcher now. Hopefully both Skip and Theriot are simply let go. From a pitching standpoint, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the vets in the BP (Dotel/Rhodes) were not even offered contracts and the BP was given over to the "kids" -- Motte, Lynn, Sanchez, Salas, Boggs, Rzep, and another lefty.

All of those things free up a little money to help with Pujols and possibly Furcal.

From a managerial standpoint...I like the idea of Pendleton. I hope they talk to Sandberg. I do think, though, that with the number of vets in the clubhouse, it may be wise to go with someone with at least some big league managing experience.

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 11:16 am
by clevername
not that it really matters, but Braves fans have lamented Pendleton's work as a hitting coach forever. I believe he lost that job this year.

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 11:18 am
by Faceman
I don't get paying for another teams on field manager. Makes no sense to me.

We really believe in Joe Maddon that much?

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 11:20 am
by jagtrader
Think it's just easier for fans to talk about known commodities. I think it'll be a first-time skipper in the majors. This is Mozeliak's chance to get his guy.

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 11:21 am
by Jocephus
article from buster olney about TLR. i guess its an "insider" free preview article.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/olne ... k-time-mlb

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Posted: October 31 11, 11:25 am
by greenback44
I have no interest in Scioscia. He's basically a less talented TLR, and as crazy as TLR was, he never engineered anything remotely as bad as the Napoli-for-Wells trade.

You need a guy who's sharp enough to evaluate talent effectively, bright enough to communicate with the players and the front office, and is humble enough to avoid over-managing. Because of the last one, I'd prefer a no-name. When you're throwing seven-digit salaries around, you shouldn't have trouble with the first two.

It would be funny if the Cardinals make candidates run through a simple ten question multiple choice test:
LHP Randy Wolf is starting for the Brewers. Who starts at 2b?
(a) Skip Schumaker - as a LHB he sucks against LHP, but he's 3-for-7 (.429) for his career against Wolf
(b) Allen Craig - he's never faced Wolf, but he beats the snot out of LHP
(c) Ryan Theriot - we're paying him $3 million and he was the starting shortstop before the Furcal trade