Page 24 of 211
Re: General Soccer Thread
Posted: June 22 11, 9:20 am
by thrill
Freed Roger wrote:Fortunately for the US soccer team, they play in the NFC West, (or the normal NL Central) of qualifier regions.
Am I wrong?
You are not wrong.
CONCACAF is essentially us, the Mexicans and whoever out of the rotating group of Honduras, Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago are good at the time. So yes, it's a lightweight conference, but it's still better than Asia and Oceania. The US and Mexico would compete at the top of Africa as well, but Africa's depth makes it a better overall conference.
Re: General Soccer Thread
Posted: June 22 11, 10:32 am
by robbotis
thrill wrote:I'm not worried. Any word on Jozy's hammy yet? I haven't seen anything.
LD starting on the bench in the Jamaica game was interesting. I've long suspected Dempsey and Donovan had their own Lampard-Gerrard issue in the midfield. The offense has to flow through one of them and whoever it goes through, the other suffers. If that's the case, I prefer it going through Clint. Seemed to work v Jamaica.
I haven't heard on Altidore. But Frankly, I'd rather just have Aguedelo up top.
Donvan didn't start(for the first time in like 5 years) because he went to his sister's wedding the day before. He didn't arrive in time. Dempsey was in Texas for his sis' wedding, but Donavon had a red eye from California. I don't think there's anything more to it than that.
Re: General Soccer Thread
Posted: June 22 11, 11:09 am
by thrill
robbotis wrote:thrill wrote:I'm not worried. Any word on Jozy's hammy yet? I haven't seen anything.
LD starting on the bench in the Jamaica game was interesting. I've long suspected Dempsey and Donovan had their own Lampard-Gerrard issue in the midfield. The offense has to flow through one of them and whoever it goes through, the other suffers. If that's the case, I prefer it going through Clint. Seemed to work v Jamaica.
I haven't heard on Altidore. But Frankly, I'd rather just have Aguedelo up top.
Donvan didn't start(for the first time in like 5 years) because he went to his sister's wedding the day before. He didn't arrive in time. Dempsey was in Texas for his sis' wedding, but Donavon had a red eye from California. I don't think there's anything more to it than that.
Yeah I know there's nothing to it more than the travel and I also know that as long as they're both fit, they'll both start and most likely play 90. I'm just saying maybe there
should be more to it than that. It's certainly counter-intuitive to sit one of your two legitimate stars, especially on a team not blessed with prodigious talent, but for some reason they don't play well together consistently.
Re: General Soccer Thread
Posted: June 22 11, 1:05 pm
by thrill
Jozy out for the rest of the tourney.
Re: General Soccer Thread
Posted: June 22 11, 1:07 pm
by Freed Roger
thrill wrote:Jozy out for the rest of the tourney.
who takes his spot.
Re: General Soccer Thread
Posted: June 22 11, 1:10 pm
by thrill
Freed Roger wrote:thrill wrote:Jozy out for the rest of the tourney.
who takes his spot.
Can't replace injured players during tournament, so Agudelo presumably starts and we see more Dempsey up top when needing tactical change for more offense. This increases the likelihood that we stick with the 4-5-1 formation with only one forward that we saw against Jamaica last weekend.
Re: General Soccer Thread
Posted: June 22 11, 4:12 pm
by robbotis
thrill wrote:robbotis wrote:thrill wrote:I'm not worried. Any word on Jozy's hammy yet? I haven't seen anything.
LD starting on the bench in the Jamaica game was interesting. I've long suspected Dempsey and Donovan had their own Lampard-Gerrard issue in the midfield. The offense has to flow through one of them and whoever it goes through, the other suffers. If that's the case, I prefer it going through Clint. Seemed to work v Jamaica.
I haven't heard on Altidore. But Frankly, I'd rather just have Aguedelo up top.
Donvan didn't start(for the first time in like 5 years) because he went to his sister's wedding the day before. He didn't arrive in time. Dempsey was in Texas for his sis' wedding, but Donavon had a red eye from California. I don't think there's anything more to it than that.
Yeah I know there's nothing to it more than the travel and I also know that as long as they're both fit, they'll both start and most likely play 90. I'm just saying maybe there
should be more to it than that. It's certainly counter-intuitive to sit one of your two legitimate stars, especially on a team not blessed with prodigious talent, but for some reason they don't play well together consistently.
Wow, Donovan is NOT in the starting lineup tonight.
Why?
Re: General Soccer Thread
Posted: June 22 11, 4:19 pm
by thrill
Holy [expletive]! I don't know! Let the paranoid US Soccer internet cabal speculation begin!
Clearly Bob is saying this is Clint's team now. #gettingmyusscocerinternetcabalon
Re: General Soccer Thread
Posted: June 22 11, 4:27 pm
by robbotis
thrill wrote:Holy [expletive]! I don't know! Let the paranoid US Soccer internet cabal speculation begin!
Clearly Bob is saying this is Clint's team now. #gettingmyusscocerinternetcabalon
I like Bedoya and all, but him and Kljestan over Donovan?
Later Bradley!
Freddy Adu is on call tonight too.
Weird lineup man.
Re: General Soccer Thread
Posted: June 22 11, 7:13 pm
by G. Keenan
Big game tonight in Argentina, River Plate v. Belgrano de Cordoba. River is playing to avoid relegation and stay in the first division and Belgrano is trying to move up. River getting relegated would be a big deal.