Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
dmarx114
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 25473
Joined: December 20 07, 2:45 pm

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by dmarx114 »

Faceman wrote:I don't get paying for another teams on field manager. Makes no sense to me.

We really believe in Joe Maddon that much?
I guess it depends on what it would cost.

But yeah, I do agree that paying for a manager is silly.

I'm back to Francona.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by Jocephus »

wheres lou brown when you need him

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie
Posts: 28010
Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by Fat Strat »

Faceman wrote:I don't get paying for another teams on field manager. Makes no sense to me.

We really believe in Joe Maddon that much?
He's done a fantastic job with a really young Tampa team, and his management style fits with what a lot of people around here really like. It would be hard for anyone to argue why we should want to have any manager (or candidate) in baseball over Maddon.

User avatar
vinsanity
Chili dog truther
Posts: 8836
Joined: July 3 06, 2:19 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by vinsanity »

dmarx114 wrote:
Faceman wrote:I don't get paying for another teams on field manager. Makes no sense to me.

We really believe in Joe Maddon that much?
I guess it depends on what it would cost.

But yeah, I do agree that paying for a manager is silly.
They paid Tony what, $5M this year? And would have next year? So Maddon = $1.4M so they could send $3M of cash and organizational filler to Tampa and still spend less than they would have on Tony.

I'm not saying he's the best option, but it's not really that cost would be the issue.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie
Posts: 28010
Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by Fat Strat »

vinsanity wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:
Faceman wrote:I don't get paying for another teams on field manager. Makes no sense to me.

We really believe in Joe Maddon that much?
I guess it depends on what it would cost.

But yeah, I do agree that paying for a manager is silly.
They paid Tony what, $5M this year? And would have next year? So Maddon = $1.4M so they could send $3M of cash and organizational filler to Tampa and still spend less than they would have on Tony.

I'm not saying he's the best option, but it's not really that cost would be the issue.
That's where I am. It's also not my money so I'm willing to throw it around on random whims and fancies.

User avatar
docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief
Posts: 24741
Joined: April 18 06, 6:54 pm

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by docellis »

Duncan is going to be on 101.1 at 6pm to talk about his future

User avatar
ilstu24
All-Star
Posts: 1344
Joined: September 24 08, 10:31 am
Location: Illinois St.

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by ilstu24 »

docellis wrote:Duncan is going to be on 101.1 at 6pm to talk about his future
You have to think he's gone as well right?

User avatar
slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden
Posts: 14433
Joined: June 10 09, 11:31 pm
Location: In Chula Vista hanging with the Surenos

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by slide_into_first »

jIM tRACY

User avatar
Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 8064
Joined: January 9 08, 5:30 pm

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by Felix The Cat »

cards2468 wrote:Sad to see him go, but I think it's for the best. I really didn't start paying attention to the Cards until 1996, so it's going to be strange seeing somebody else. What a way to go out. The greatest decision makers of all time are highly loved and highly hated. Tony will go down as a Cardinal legend and one of the greatest managers of all time.
+++

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 25473
Joined: December 20 07, 2:45 pm

Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires

Post by dmarx114 »

vinsanity wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:
Faceman wrote:I don't get paying for another teams on field manager. Makes no sense to me.

We really believe in Joe Maddon that much?
I guess it depends on what it would cost.

But yeah, I do agree that paying for a manager is silly.
They paid Tony what, $5M this year? And would have next year? So Maddon = $1.4M so they could send $3M of cash and organizational filler to Tampa and still spend less than they would have on Tony.

I'm not saying he's the best option, but it's not really that cost would be the issue.
Isn't the cost usually a player?

I'm fine with writing Tampa a check, but I'm not fine with parting with a prospect.

Locked