Page 24 of 39
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Posted: October 31 11, 11:29 am
by dmarx114
Faceman wrote:I don't get paying for another teams on field manager. Makes no sense to me.
We really believe in Joe Maddon that much?
I guess it depends on what it would cost.
But yeah, I do agree that paying for a manager is silly.
I'm back to Francona.
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Posted: October 31 11, 11:33 am
by Jocephus
wheres lou brown when you need him
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Posted: October 31 11, 11:39 am
by Fat Strat
Faceman wrote:I don't get paying for another teams on field manager. Makes no sense to me.
We really believe in Joe Maddon that much?
He's done a fantastic job with a really young Tampa team, and his management style fits with what a lot of people around here really like. It would be hard for anyone to argue why we should want to have any manager (or candidate) in baseball over Maddon.
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Posted: October 31 11, 11:42 am
by vinsanity
dmarx114 wrote:Faceman wrote:I don't get paying for another teams on field manager. Makes no sense to me.
We really believe in Joe Maddon that much?
I guess it depends on what it would cost.
But yeah, I do agree that paying for a manager is silly.
They paid Tony what, $5M this year? And would have next year? So Maddon = $1.4M so they could send $3M of cash and organizational filler to Tampa and still spend less than they would have on Tony.
I'm not saying he's the best option, but it's not really that cost would be the issue.
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Posted: October 31 11, 11:44 am
by Fat Strat
vinsanity wrote:dmarx114 wrote:Faceman wrote:I don't get paying for another teams on field manager. Makes no sense to me.
We really believe in Joe Maddon that much?
I guess it depends on what it would cost.
But yeah, I do agree that paying for a manager is silly.
They paid Tony what, $5M this year? And would have next year? So Maddon = $1.4M so they could send $3M of cash and organizational filler to Tampa and still spend less than they would have on Tony.
I'm not saying he's the best option, but it's not really that cost would be the issue.
That's where I am. It's also not my money so I'm willing to throw it around on random whims and fancies.
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Posted: October 31 11, 11:46 am
by docellis
Duncan is going to be on 101.1 at 6pm to talk about his future
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Posted: October 31 11, 11:52 am
by ilstu24
docellis wrote:Duncan is going to be on 101.1 at 6pm to talk about his future
You have to think he's gone as well right?
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Posted: October 31 11, 11:55 am
by slide_into_first
jIM tRACY
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Posted: October 31 11, 11:55 am
by Felix The Cat
cards2468 wrote:Sad to see him go, but I think it's for the best. I really didn't start paying attention to the Cards until 1996, so it's going to be strange seeing somebody else. What a way to go out. The greatest decision makers of all time are highly loved and highly hated. Tony will go down as a Cardinal legend and one of the greatest managers of all time.
+++
Re: Update p 2: Tony LaRussa Retires
Posted: October 31 11, 11:58 am
by dmarx114
vinsanity wrote:dmarx114 wrote:Faceman wrote:I don't get paying for another teams on field manager. Makes no sense to me.
We really believe in Joe Maddon that much?
I guess it depends on what it would cost.
But yeah, I do agree that paying for a manager is silly.
They paid Tony what, $5M this year? And would have next year? So Maddon = $1.4M so they could send $3M of cash and organizational filler to Tampa and still spend less than they would have on Tony.
I'm not saying he's the best option, but it's not really that cost would be the issue.
Isn't the cost usually a player?
I'm fine with writing Tampa a check, but I'm not fine with parting with a prospect.