Page 26 of 29

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: March 18 15, 7:50 pm
by sighyoung


The last movement of Bedrich Smetana's Piano Trio Op.15. The agitated piece was written after the death of his young daughter. The piano part is notoriously difficult.

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: March 18 15, 7:54 pm
by sighyoung


A very accessible contemporary piece: John Harbison's "Songs America Loves to Sing," based on numerous famous songs, including "The St. Louis Blues."

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: April 22 15, 3:24 pm
by sighyoung




Maybe this will get jim to come back. This is Lee Luvisi (a retired University of Louisville professor of piano, and a former pianist for the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center) performing with University of Louisville School of Music students (and one or two faculty members). My daughter's violin teacher is playing viola in the ensemble.

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: June 23 15, 5:20 pm
by sighyoung

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: July 14 15, 8:22 pm
by sighyoung


This is a wonderful recording of Beethoven's Piano Trio #2 (Opus 1 Number 2) by the ATOS Trio, an outstanding young German piano trio. I've posted the third movement performed by another group a several pages back, but this whole performance is terrific, and especially love the third and final movements.

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: July 16 15, 10:02 am
by MrSaigon

Heard this pretty number on the radio. Turned out to be by a guy who made comedic classical music albums my grandmother used to play for me--PDQ Bach.

I found a Segovia record at a thrift store too. I'm trying to learn this. It's coming along very slowly. May give up soon. Edit: I'll never get to the point where I can get some of those intricate, super-fast fills--but I bet I can fake them if I can get anything at all. Mostly I want to be able to play that part at about :12.

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: October 4 15, 10:12 pm
by sighyoung

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: October 5 15, 7:43 pm
by sighyoung

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: October 6 15, 6:22 am
by Jocephus

Re: Stay classy, GRB

Posted: November 4 15, 7:54 pm
by sighyoung
https://vimeo.com/140169688?from=outro-embed

This is a Vimeo video rather than Youtube: Jean-Efflam Bavouzet performs Gabriel Pierne's Etude de Concert as an encore during a performance with the Gothenburg Symphony Orchesta (the national orchestra of Sweden). The sound is terrific.