The Video Game Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by Jocephus »

robbotis wrote:Yeah, it's way too hard to tell balls from strikes in baseball games. They need to improve that.
When playing the computer I can win by just swinging all the time, then when I play a person there's no reason they'd throw a strike.
thats one thing i think mvp 05 did really well (but i also think that game is close to perfect)...when the ball left the pitchers hand, it would flash a color (for like half a second) to help indicate the pitch type...white for fastball, red for curveball/breaking pitch, etc, etc...it helped so you would at least have an idea on how fast the pitch was

User avatar
ghostrunner
GOAT
Posts: 30814
Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by ghostrunner »

robbotis wrote:Yeah, it's way too hard to tell balls from strikes in baseball games. They need to improve that.
When playing the computer I can win by just swinging all the time, then when I play a person there's no reason they'd throw a strike.
This is the biggest flame war topic on baseball games forums, as far as I can tell.

"I'm sick and tired of MF'ers who don't throw strikes. Maybe you could just learn how to pitch."

"If it's a ball, don't swing at it, moron!"

Personally, I throw a good portion of balls. The reality is, if you go online and check the numbers of walks online players take, it's enormously low. Far lower than a real player would have. So either they're good enough hitters where this shouldn't be a problem, or somebody must be throwing strikes.

I almost always take the first pitch too. I don't so much try to recognize the pitch, rather I just try to guess what they'll do at that point in the count and decide whether or not I'm swinging ahead of time. It doesn't always work. Sometimes it turns out good, other times I'm swinging at balls that are 2 feet off. It takes a LOT of playing for me to start reacting accurately to pitches.

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by Michael »

Are there any decent video game forums?

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Michael wrote:Are there any decent video game forums?
I think we should start one...GatewayGamers.com

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by Jocephus »

Michael wrote:Are there any decent video game forums?
ive been going to the xbox forums...just 'cause my gamertag is my login and stuff....not the greatest though...so many complainers for gears 2...but, every xbox title has its own forum

http://forums.xbox.com/

User avatar
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18725
Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by cardinalkarp »

Jocephus wrote:
Michael wrote:Are there any decent video game forums?
ive been going to the xbox forums...just 'cause my gamertag is my login and stuff....not the greatest though...so many complainers for gears 2...but, every xbox title has its own forum

http://forums.xbox.com/
You being a stoner and all I can't believe you haven't had an xbox for years.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by Jocephus »

cardinalkarp wrote:
Jocephus wrote:
Michael wrote:Are there any decent video game forums?
ive been going to the xbox forums...just 'cause my gamertag is my login and stuff....not the greatest though...so many complainers for gears 2...but, every xbox title has its own forum

http://forums.xbox.com/
You being a stoner and all I can't believe you haven't had an xbox for years.

yeah...i know...i had a 64 and gamecube...then just kinda lost interest...or didn't know if i wanted another system and i was always loyal to nintendo...a buddy of mine had a 360 (and a great tv) so id play over there a lot (we'd be smoking of course)...and realized how great of a system it was...but then i made the poor decision to go to canada for a woman and got rid of most of my stuff, including my tv...then i came back, without a job and had no money so i couldn't afford one...now that i have a good job, i got a new HD flat screen tv, the xbox and xbl...and now im set...unfortunately, im currently outta herb and waiting

Pujols is a God
Everyday Player
Posts: 179
Joined: April 17 06, 2:02 pm

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by Pujols is a God »

Ok so I got PES 2009, GTA 4, and Oblivion. I am loving Oblivion so far, I have not really got into GTA yet cause of Oblivion. Next on my list for christmas or when I get some money is NHL 09, Fallout 3, and I heard that Mass Effect is really good.

User avatar
ghostrunner
GOAT
Posts: 30814
Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by ghostrunner »

Pujols is a God wrote:Ok so I got PES 2009, GTA 4, and Oblivion. I am loving Oblivion so far, I have not really got into GTA yet cause of Oblivion. Next on my list for christmas or when I get some money is NHL 09, Fallout 3, and I heard that Mass Effect is really good.
Oblivion's more my cup of tea. The run and gun thing in FPS games wears on me. I needs a break now and then. The combat could be better, but it's an improvement over trying to play on a PC.

I love the thievery component. Though some lady caught me in her house and all she did was fuss at me a little, didn't even call the guards. Not sure what that's about.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by TimeForGuinness »

The only thing I didn't like about Oblivion was the constant sleeping to level up...and waiting for things to develop. It could have been quicker and it still wouldn't have taken away from the game.

Post Reply