Socnorb11 wrote:Anyone who insists on keeping their junk policy should be required to sign a waiver relieving the rest of us responsibility when their plan proves to be completely useless.
It's not just junk policies that are getting canceled. Ours wasn't a junk policy. It was a pretty typical independent policy for a young, healthy family.
Why was it cancelled?
We're not really sure, to be honest.
Not to pick on you, but this is part of the problem, in my opinion. It's easy for people (not you) to throw a tantrum and blame the ACA when their policy is cancelled, but nobody has the balls to confront the insurance companies and ask them why it's being cancelled.
planet p wrote:Sounds like they're to allow insurers to continue plans that had been canceled. Press conference at 10:35 CST.
I'm just kind of catching up on this, but what? How is the government going to allow insurers to continue plans that had been canceled? It's the decision of the private insurance companies to keep or drop plans. Is the govt going to offer some kind of incentive to the companies to keep those plans or take the plans on themselves? Or are they going to just dictate to the companies what they can or can't do? And if they do that, won't that require congressional action... which means it won't actually happen?
I'm curious to hear the details.
As I understand it, the plan is to expand the grandfather clause. Previously, existing plans could be continued if they were unchanged. Now, insurance plans can renew for a while with some changes, so long as you are informed on all the things the plan doesn't covered compared to a market compliant plan. My guess, though I have no expertise, is that this won't make much difference, and most cancelled individual market plans will remain cancelled. The old-style individual market plans weren't canceled only because of rules restricting them but because they are going to lose market share and competitiveness.
Yeah, I was reading up on it now and that sounds about right to me. Some of the original headlines and tweets I read implied that Obama was going to allow the insured to keep their plans not that he was going to allow insurers to keep offering their plans. Small difference in words. Huge difference in meaning.
I agree, though. I don't see a lot of companies to continue to offer their plans. I also don't see many people sticking with their old plans once they have a look at the market.
Oddly enough, the ACA just got real at my company today.
One of our young female employers was diagnosed with leukemia about 2 months ago. It's going to be a long, hard, expensive battle for her.
Today, our company announced that as of January 1, we are switching insurance companies (changing from UHC to Blue Cross Blue Shield). Under the old set of rules, this young lady would almost certainly be denied coverage by BCBC, because of the pre-existing condition. Under the ACA, she will have to be accepted.
Leroy wrote:No matter how you slice it, 'you' are still paying for it.
It isn't that hard to see. No free lunch.
Eidt - So Obama is a hero for letting you keep your pile of crap? If it was so terrible, take it away.
It's not a free program. It's insurance. So what's your big problem with it?
Everyone has said all along that it's flawed. It's just preferable (for some) to a system where preexisting conditions and a lot of poor people weren't covered.
I want the government to tell me what health plan is best for me because they know what is best for me. I want them to cancel my existing plan and replace it with theirs because it is better and they know what is best for me. I will pay whatever they tell me to pay because they know what is best for me and what it should cost. If I don't agree with what they mandate I should pay a penalty. I also want the government to dictate to private businesses what they can, and cannot do.
Socnorb11 wrote:Anyone who insists on keeping their junk policy should be required to sign a waiver relieving the rest of us responsibility when their plan proves to be completely useless.
What?
The government knows what plan is best for you, duh? Accept it, or pay a penalty. Apparently, this is OK with people now.
I don't want to pay for insurance because it's my right not to. I don't want to wear a seatbelt because it's my right not to. When I get a horrible disease and need a transplant I want the government to require the hospital to take care of me then let everyone else pay for my healthcare with increased costs.
I paid for insurance that I liked and the government took it away because they think their plan is better. It costs a whole lot more, and is worse than what I had so that sucks. Now they will make healthcare decisions for me. I don't think it is the government's job to tell me what is best for me, but they do now. I want all young Americans to subsidize a health care system that will fail if they don't "sign up".