cardsfansince82 wrote:If people were happy with their old, cheap coverage it's because they hadn't gotten around to actually using it yet.
I've heard this argument a lot and I just don't think it's true. Sure, some insurance policies were probably [expletive]. And, there's probably not a person on this board that hates insurance companies as much as I do.
But, I know of many a people that have now looked at the exchange policies, compared them to their policies and chosen to stay with their policies only to have them cancelled. And, those same people have run the gamut from never seeing a doctor to having heart surgery. Obviously some of them might not know what their insurance covers, but I have a hard time believing those that have had surgery and want to stay with their current provider don't know exactly what they're signing up for.
Socnorb11 wrote:Anyone who insists on keeping their junk policy should be required to sign a waiver relieving the rest of us responsibility when their plan proves to be completely useless.
What?
The government knows what plan is best for you, duh? Accept it, or pay a penalty. Apparently, this is OK with people now.
If you think the old way was the best plan for anyone then clearly you aren't capable of what is deciding is best for you and the govt does need to tell you.
It's funny that people somehow think the old way was the best. The insurance companys kill more people then murderers do in this country but that's ok?
I can tell you very personal examples of the insurance companies basically telling loved ones of mine to go die because they didn't want to pay for treatment. I won't because I'll get very pissed off at you and them so I'm just going to bow out of this discussion.
cardsfansince82 wrote:If people were happy with their old, cheap coverage it's because they hadn't gotten around to actually using it yet.
I've heard this argument a lot and I just don't think it's true. Sure, some insurance policies were probably [expletive]. And, there's probably not a person on this board that hates insurance companies as much as I do.
But, I know of many a people that have now looked at the exchange policies, compared them to their policies and chosen to stay with their policies only to have them cancelled. And, those same people have run the gamut from never seeing a doctor to having heart surgery. Obviously some of them might not know what their insurance covers, but I have a hard time believing those that have had surgery and want to stay with their current provider don't know exactly what they're signing up for.
Obamacare didn't fundamentally change the cost of healthcare. The cost of health care has been constantly increasing completely unrelated to that bill. For the sake of discussion, assume the cost is constant within a year. Under ACA, you pay more in monthly premiums up front, and less out of pocket later. Old plans you had a small monthly premium and much more out of pocket later. Both plans end up costing roughly the same unless you have a lot of claims (in which the ACA helps you more) or no claims in which your old plan saves you some money overall. Insurance companies could either expand their coverage and compete on a level playing field, or choose to cancel the coverage because they didn't want to do that.
The biggest problem is that half of the country was convinced this bill is the worst thing ever and half of the country was convinced it was the best. The truth is somewhere in between. But instead of spending time and energy figuring out ways to make it better and educate the public, we spent all of that time arguing whether it should exist at all because one side didn't get their way.
Socnorb11 wrote:Anyone who insists on keeping their junk policy should be required to sign a waiver relieving the rest of us responsibility when their plan proves to be completely useless.
What?
The government knows what plan is best for you, duh? Accept it, or pay a penalty. Apparently, this is OK with people now.
If you think the old way was the best plan for anyone then clearly you aren't capable of what is deciding is best for you and the govt does need to tell you.
It's funny that people somehow think the old way was the best. The insurance companys kill more people then murderers do in this country but that's ok?
I can tell you very personal examples of the insurance companies basically telling loved ones of mine to go die because they didn't want to pay for treatment. I won't because I'll get very pissed off at you and them so I'm just going to bow out of this discussion.
Sir, the government does not know what is best for me and you certainly don't. You have no idea what my capabilities are in deciding what is best for me. Get pissed off at me all you want - I don't care and it won't bother me one bit. I don't know why I feel the urge to go into these political threads once a month, but I won't ever again I know that much.
cardsfansince82 wrote:If people were happy with their old, cheap coverage it's because they hadn't gotten around to actually using it yet.
I've heard this argument a lot and I just don't think it's true. Sure, some insurance policies were probably [expletive]. And, there's probably not a person on this board that hates insurance companies as much as I do.
But, I know of many a people that have now looked at the exchange policies, compared them to their policies and chosen to stay with their policies only to have them cancelled. And, those same people have run the gamut from never seeing a doctor to having heart surgery. Obviously some of them might not know what their insurance covers, but I have a hard time believing those that have had surgery and want to stay with their current provider don't know exactly what they're signing up for.
Obamacare didn't fundamentally change the cost of healthcare. The cost of health care has been constantly increasing completely unrelated to that bill. For the sake of discussion, assume the cost is constant within a year. Under ACA, you pay more in monthly premiums up front, and less out of pocket later. Old plans you had a small monthly premium and much more out of pocket later. Both plans end up costing roughly the same unless you have a lot of claims (in which the ACA helps you more) or no claims in which your old plan saves you some money overall. Insurance companies could either expand their coverage and compete on a level playing field, or choose to cancel the coverage because they didn't want to do that.
The biggest problem is that half of the country was convinced this bill is the worst thing ever and half of the country was convinced it was the best. The truth is somewhere in between. But instead of spending time and energy figuring out ways to make it better and educate the public, we spent all of that time arguing whether it should exist at all because one side didn't get their way.
That's the problem with this program without the single payer. This is the highly altruistic phase where people need to buy in to the idea that covering prexisting conditions is important (even if you don't have one), that young people need to have more coverage and pay a premium for that so that they in turn can have it when they need it later, and that less fortunate people need and deserve healthcare. Even though some people have access to less expensive independent plans than they did before (highly dependent upon which state you're living), you're typically going to pay more for those things.
cardsfansince82 wrote:If people were happy with their old, cheap coverage it's because they hadn't gotten around to actually using it yet.
I've heard this argument a lot and I just don't think it's true. Sure, some insurance policies were probably [expletive]. And, there's probably not a person on this board that hates insurance companies as much as I do.
But, I know of many a people that have now looked at the exchange policies, compared them to their policies and chosen to stay with their policies only to have them cancelled. And, those same people have run the gamut from never seeing a doctor to having heart surgery. Obviously some of them might not know what their insurance covers, but I have a hard time believing those that have had surgery and want to stay with their current provider don't know exactly what they're signing up for.
Obamacare didn't fundamentally change the cost of healthcare. The cost of health care has been constantly increasing completely unrelated to that bill. For the sake of discussion, assume the cost is constant within a year. Under ACA, you pay more in monthly premiums up front, and less out of pocket later. Old plans you had a small monthly premium and much more out of pocket later. Both plans end up costing roughly the same unless you have a lot of claims (in which the ACA helps you more) or no claims in which your old plan saves you some money overall. Insurance companies could either expand their coverage and compete on a level playing field, or choose to cancel the coverage because they didn't want to do that.
The biggest problem is that half of the country was convinced this bill is the worst thing ever and half of the country was convinced it was the best. The truth is somewhere in between. But instead of spending time and energy figuring out ways to make it better and educate the public, we spent all of that time arguing whether it should exist at all because one side didn't get their way.
I agree, I think. That doesn't mean people whose policies were cancelled didn't know what they had or had a horrible policy.
cardsfansince82 wrote:If people were happy with their old, cheap coverage it's because they hadn't gotten around to actually using it yet.
I've heard this argument a lot and I just don't think it's true. Sure, some insurance policies were probably [expletive]. And, there's probably not a person on this board that hates insurance companies as much as I do.
But, I know of many a people that have now looked at the exchange policies, compared them to their policies and chosen to stay with their policies only to have them cancelled. And, those same people have run the gamut from never seeing a doctor to having heart surgery. Obviously some of them might not know what their insurance covers, but I have a hard time believing those that have had surgery and want to stay with their current provider don't know exactly what they're signing up for.
Sure they wanted to stay with their current provider. I'm assuming that the premiums are cheaper......... so it doesn't really matter what the benefits are.
Let's assume Sally's insurance plan didn't cover major medical. So Sally gets a bill for $100,000 for the heart surgery (just a random number). Sally can't afford to pay that bill, so she just pays ten bucks a month, or whatever. Sally never really gets the bill paid off, but why does she care? The rest of us will pick up the slack, and Sally is still saving 50 bucks a month on her premiums, so it works out great for her!
cardsfansince82 wrote:If people were happy with their old, cheap coverage it's because they hadn't gotten around to actually using it yet.
I've heard this argument a lot and I just don't think it's true. Sure, some insurance policies were probably [expletive]. And, there's probably not a person on this board that hates insurance companies as much as I do.
But, I know of many a people that have now looked at the exchange policies, compared them to their policies and chosen to stay with their policies only to have them cancelled. And, those same people have run the gamut from never seeing a doctor to having heart surgery. Obviously some of them might not know what their insurance covers, but I have a hard time believing those that have had surgery and want to stay with their current provider don't know exactly what they're signing up for.
Sure they wanted to stay with their current provider. I'm assuming that the premiums are cheaper......... so it doesn't really matter what the benefits are.
Let's assume Sally's insurance plan didn't cover major medical. So Sally gets a bill for $100,000 for the heart surgery (just a random number). Sally can't afford to pay that bill, so she just pays ten bucks a month, or whatever. Sally never really gets the bill paid off, but why does she care? The rest of us will pick up the slack, and Sally is still saving 50 bucks a month on her premiums, so it works out great for her!
Again, what? Did you even read what I wrote are did you just figure it was time for you to say the same thing again?
No. I'm not talking about finding the cheapest premium. I'm talking about people who had surgeries, paid their premiums, paid their deductibles and paid all their medical bills. They not only know what they have, they used it, and preferred it to what was on the exchange.
Instead of assuming and making up fake situations, let's talk about real life.
cardsfansince82 wrote:If people were happy with their old, cheap coverage it's because they hadn't gotten around to actually using it yet.
I've heard this argument a lot and I just don't think it's true. Sure, some insurance policies were probably [expletive]. And, there's probably not a person on this board that hates insurance companies as much as I do.
But, I know of many a people that have now looked at the exchange policies, compared them to their policies and chosen to stay with their policies only to have them cancelled. And, those same people have run the gamut from never seeing a doctor to having heart surgery. Obviously some of them might not know what their insurance covers, but I have a hard time believing those that have had surgery and want to stay with their current provider don't know exactly what they're signing up for.
Sure they wanted to stay with their current provider. I'm assuming that the premiums are cheaper......... so it doesn't really matter what the benefits are.
Let's assume Sally's insurance plan didn't cover major medical. So Sally gets a bill for $100,000 for the heart surgery (just a random number). Sally can't afford to pay that bill, so she just pays ten bucks a month, or whatever. Sally never really gets the bill paid off, but why does she care? The rest of us will pick up the slack, and Sally is still saving 50 bucks a month on her premiums, so it works out great for her!
Again, what? Did you even read what I wrote are did you just figure it was time for you to say the same thing again?
No. I'm not talking about finding the cheapest premium. I'm talking about people who had surgeries, paid their premiums, paid their deductibles and paid all their medical bills. They not only know what they have, they used it, and preferred it to what was on the exchange.
Instead of assuming and making up fake situations, let's talk about real life.
You didn't say ANY of that. You simply said that they had heart surgery, and they liked their policy.
So you had discussions with several people who assured you that they've paid all of their medical bills, deductibles, etc.? Really? Those would be odd conversations to be having with folks. And these same people, coincidentally, are some of the twelve or so that have actually been able to get on the website and look at the exchanges?
That's handy.
I assume you asked them why their policy was cancelled, also?