Page 4 of 20
Posted: December 4 06, 4:19 pm
by I_Bleed_Red
I think also it says what we will spend on other pitchers.
All that Schmidt would get from us is at the max of 3/36 or a 4/48 and nothing over. So if we hear reports of him getting offered more then we can quit talking about him
Posted: December 4 06, 4:21 pm
by Fat Strat
I_Bleed_Red wrote:That averages out to be what almost 13mil a season? If so that is a steal
This is a 3 year contract extension at $16 million a year that doesn't kick in for 2 years.
Considering that he has a lot of pitching to do before now and the beginning of his new contract I wouldn't call that a steal. It's more than I would have given him this far out.
Posted: December 4 06, 4:21 pm
by Dillagii
Zito is slated to get 6yr/105mil. I still feel that Walt should have waited until the end of next season to extend him.
As Cronos said, we got him as bargain all this year. So I guess its Ok to guarantee him some money for future years. I love Carp and I hope he stays healthy all these years especially in 2011 and 2012.
Posted: December 4 06, 4:22 pm
by Fat Strat
I_Bleed_Red wrote:I think also it says what we will spend on other pitchers.
All that Schmidt would get from us is at the max of 3/36 or a 4/48 and nothing over. So if we hear reports of him getting offered more then we can quit talking about him
Nope. We gave Carp $16 million over three years.
That's the new contract benchmark.
Posted: December 4 06, 4:23 pm
by Bo Hart
Note that the big money does not kick in until Izzy and Edmonds are off the books (so that's like $17 million between those two alone).
Posted: December 4 06, 4:24 pm
by JCShutout
Fat Strat wrote:I_Bleed_Red wrote:That averages out to be what almost 13mil a season? If so that is a steal
This is a 3 year contract extension at $16 million a year that doesn't kick in for 2 years.
Considering that he has a lot of pitching to do before now and the beginning of his new contract I wouldn't call that a steal. It's more than I would have given him this far out.
Exactly. I'm with FS on this one. If Carp pitches as well as he has the past 3 years, then the deal will be worth it, but 3 years from now is a long time, I'm having flashbacks to Matt Morris' backloaded deal when his 12mill was hindering us.
Posted: December 4 06, 4:24 pm
by Dwtlr
I said earlier in the year it was the right thing to do and I'm saying it now..
Prices aren't going to get any cheaper for CY caliber pitchers..both Carpenter and the Cardinals are gambling a bit here..but its worth the risk..
I remember a lot of folks here disagreeing about signing him to an extension...
You lockup your playmakers...this "we had control over him for two years" stuff leaves too much up in the air with escalating prices for quality pitching..
Could be the best move of the offseason..
Posted: December 4 06, 4:24 pm
by Fat Strat
Kyle wrote:Note that the big money does not kick in until Izzy and Edmonds are off the books (so that's like $17 million between those two alone).
Yeah. The contract itself will look pretty good on the books in '09 if he's still healthy then.
We can definitely afford to give him an extension, and he's one of the few pitchers in the league that's worth the money.
Posted: December 4 06, 4:25 pm
by Balltilyafall4
Fat Strat wrote:I_Bleed_Red wrote:That averages out to be what almost 13mil a season? If so that is a steal
This is a 3 year contract extension at $16 million a year that doesn't kick in for 2 years.
Considering that he has a lot of pitching to do before now and the beginning of his new contract I wouldn't call that a steal. It's more than I would have given him this far out.
Yes, a 3 yr contract extension at 16 mil TWO YEARS FROM NOW..
16 mil a year for a premier pitcher, the way the market has continued to take an upturn in the past few years, might look like the steal of the century in 2 years...
16 mil per year now seems high, 16 mil per year in 2 years might not seem nearly as high
Posted: December 4 06, 4:25 pm
by Bo Hart
It's a catch-22.
You wait, and you run the risk of the market inflating even more.
You go, and you run the risk of not knowing what you'll get.
Like I said I have mixed feelings... but $13 million (on average) a year is not that bad. Not bad at all.