Tribune reports Prior is done for '07

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Post Reply
User avatar
Hungary Jack
Mother Earth
Posts: 19536
Joined: July 24 06, 6:03 am
Location: In Cognito

Post by Hungary Jack »

I hate it when players get injured and their careers are put in jeopardy. It doesn't matter to me if they are good, bad, or ugly. Being injured sucks, and I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

User avatar
picasso
All-Star
Posts: 1402
Joined: May 12 06, 2:51 pm

Post by picasso »

If you're the Cubs do you resign him at 2.8 mil+ (min discount over previous contract) or let him go? If I was the Cubs GM ( I'm gonna apply, Hendry will be gone, and I've won my fantasy league several years in a row)

I'm letting him go. Prior=Alan Benes IMO.

greenback44
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11664
Joined: June 26 06, 8:54 pm
Location: In a Small Town with Jack and Diane

Post by greenback44 »

In 2005 Prior struck out 188 batters, good for 9th in the NL, in 166.7 innings. If Mark Mulder can get whatever he got, Prior's worth $3M in 2008.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but it's kinda nasty that Prior was optioned to Iowa before the surgery.

User avatar
fulldeck
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 3239
Joined: April 21 06, 7:31 am
Contact:

Post by fulldeck »

That is crazy. I am reading this to mean he basically had 3 different types or surgery. Is that correct? I know some of those Cubs fans that dogged him for being "fragile". I hope this news changes their tune.

User avatar
GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11923
Joined: July 23 06, 11:54 pm
Location: GatewaySnaykebird

Post by GatewaySnayke »

I'm betting we don't see Prior back on a mound again until 2009, and that he won't be half the pitcher he once was.

It's an interesting quandry if you're a Cardinals fan. Do you go cold and just shrug your shoulders about him, or do you feel bad for a guy who once had a very promising career?

I'm not sure which side to take. On one hand, I don't think players should hold back and just give the media cliches, but I also think that a player should show a little bit of candor.

User avatar
Hungary Jack
Mother Earth
Posts: 19536
Joined: July 24 06, 6:03 am
Location: In Cognito

Post by Hungary Jack »

greenback44 wrote:In 2005 Prior struck out 188 batters, good for 9th in the NL, in 166.7 innings. If Mark Mulder can get whatever he got, Prior's worth $3M in 2008.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but it's kinda nasty that Prior was optioned to Iowa before the surgery.
I think the Mulder deal is an "outlier" and really not a valid comparison. If Mulder isn't lefthanded, I highly doubt he gets that deal.

The report on Prior's surgery made me think immediately of Alan Benes. Maybe the procedure has improved in 15 years, but anything that involves the capsule involves the structural integrity of the joint. Rotator cuffs are muscles, and they generally heal better than the fibrous non-blooding bearing tissue that makes up the capsule. The odds are against Prior.

bobapples1993
Single A Minor League Player
Posts: 11
Joined: April 25 07, 8:07 pm

Post by bobapples1993 »

I have pretty much given up on this. :(

greenback44
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11664
Joined: June 26 06, 8:54 pm
Location: In a Small Town with Jack and Diane

Post by greenback44 »

Hungary Jack wrote:
greenback44 wrote:In 2005 Prior struck out 188 batters, good for 9th in the NL, in 166.7 innings. If Mark Mulder can get whatever he got, Prior's worth $3M in 2008.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but it's kinda nasty that Prior was optioned to Iowa before the surgery.
I think the Mulder deal is an "outlier" and really not a valid comparison. If Mulder isn't lefthanded, I highly doubt he gets that deal.
I think it had more to do with Mulder's age and him starting in the ASG as "recently" as 2004.

I'd give Prior $3M before I'd give Wood $1.75M. I don't know what the odds of recovery are, but one year of a good starting pitcher is worth so much that it doesn't take much to make the deal breakeven.

User avatar
fanforever
Retired
Posts: 67125
Joined: April 17 06, 5:03 pm
Location: Northern NJ-The Twilight Zone

Post by fanforever »

I really feel bad for the man. When he was healthy (see 2003) he was hard to beat. Read tony's book Three days in August. Even tony had respect for him

Magneto
Veteran Player
Posts: 984
Joined: April 20 06, 5:39 pm

Post by Magneto »

GatewaySnayke wrote:I'm betting we don't see Prior back on a mound again until 2009, and that he won't be half the pitcher he once was.

It's an interesting quandry if you're a Cardinals fan. Do you go cold and just shrug your shoulders about him, or do you feel bad for a guy who once had a very promising career?

I'm not sure which side to take. On one hand, I don't think players should hold back and just give the media cliches, but I also think that a player should show a little bit of candor.
I don't remember any Cubs fans sheding tears for Ankiel...

Post Reply