Post Game Thread: Cards Fall 4-0
-
greenback44
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11665
- Joined: June 26 06, 8:54 pm
- Location: In a Small Town with Jack and Diane
First three-game sweep since 1997. The Brewers swept a four-game series in April 2002. TLR was more concerned with HBP protocol than winning games then IIRC.indyredbird wrote:1st sweep in Milw since 1997
- Bo Hart
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 8770
- Joined: April 14 06, 9:50 pm
I thought Reyes pitched very, very well today. Only three of his runs were earned, and Rolen usually makes that play (the one in the fourth)... so it very well could have been 6 IP of 1 ER ball... but that's getting totally hypothetical.
But yeah, this is becoming very tough to watch. I just can't believe how anemic the offense has been so far. So Taguchi and Skip Schumaker leading off in consecutive games? I think that speaks volumes about the struggles we've been having...
But yeah, this is becoming very tough to watch. I just can't believe how anemic the offense has been so far. So Taguchi and Skip Schumaker leading off in consecutive games? I think that speaks volumes about the struggles we've been having...
-
maddash
- is eerily well-versed on Project Runway and irony
- Posts: 8508
- Joined: June 26 06, 3:07 pm
This is our third shut-out in 26 games. But here's the real kicker, we've scored 2 runs or less in 14 of those 26 games (only one of those was a win). No more than 2 runs in 14 of 26 games - that's just hard for me to grasp.Kyle wrote:I thought Reyes pitched very, very well today. Only three of his runs were earned, and Rolen usually makes that play (the one in the fourth)... so it very well could have been 6 IP of 1 ER ball... but that's getting totally hypothetical.
But yeah, this is becoming very tough to watch. I just can't believe how anemic the offense has been so far. So Taguchi and Skip Schumaker leading off in consecutive games? I think that speaks volumes about the struggles we've been having...
- longhornbaseball
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 5527
- Joined: April 18 06, 10:37 pm
People don't want to hear it because we've lost every start he's made but Reyes is pitching like a #2/#3 and has been one of the unluckiest pitchers in baseball. Based on his peripheral stats (H, HR, K, BB, HBP, IP) his ERA should be between 3.50 and 4.00. Of all pitcher's with component ERA's of 4.50 or lower, only Kip Wells has a higher ERA than Reyes. Of all pitchers with WHIP's of 1.30 or less, again only Wells has a higher ERA. And of all pitchers with FIP's of 4.50 or lower only Russ Ortiz, Dave Bush, and Zach Duke have higher ERA's than Reyes.
Bottom line, pitchers with stat lines like Anthony Reyes don't finish the season with ERA's above 5 (or 4 usually). He's looked better each time out and the ERA will come around.
Bottom line, pitchers with stat lines like Anthony Reyes don't finish the season with ERA's above 5 (or 4 usually). He's looked better each time out and the ERA will come around.
Last edited by longhornbaseball on May 2 07, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- fulldeck
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 3239
- Joined: April 21 06, 7:31 am
- Contact:
Report from the game.
Reyes did pitch well. He was getting into deep counts but was finishing them off. Then he gave up a hit, the ball took that funny hop, the out wasn't called at 2B, and he lost it. He started snapping his glove when he was catching the ball thrown by Bennett and started nibbling. Bennett tried to calm him down from behind the plate several times before heading to the mound. (I would have been ticked off too.)
Hart was tagged out by Eckstein. I was sitting right behind 1B and had a very good view of the play. It looked like Eck got his glove on Hart's hip, side, and arm before he got to the bag.
TLR ended up on the field twice during the game talking to the umps. I really thought he was going to get himself ejected to try and fire up the team.
Pujols was tattooing the ball today and I really thought Bennett's deep fly ball with the bases loaded was gone.
The ball that kicked up on Rolen, the entire ballpark thought that it was a sure out, even with him ranging into the shortstop area.
I will be sure to update my sig line when I get pictures from the game uploaded to my site.
Reyes did pitch well. He was getting into deep counts but was finishing them off. Then he gave up a hit, the ball took that funny hop, the out wasn't called at 2B, and he lost it. He started snapping his glove when he was catching the ball thrown by Bennett and started nibbling. Bennett tried to calm him down from behind the plate several times before heading to the mound. (I would have been ticked off too.)
Hart was tagged out by Eckstein. I was sitting right behind 1B and had a very good view of the play. It looked like Eck got his glove on Hart's hip, side, and arm before he got to the bag.
TLR ended up on the field twice during the game talking to the umps. I really thought he was going to get himself ejected to try and fire up the team.
Pujols was tattooing the ball today and I really thought Bennett's deep fly ball with the bases loaded was gone.
The ball that kicked up on Rolen, the entire ballpark thought that it was a sure out, even with him ranging into the shortstop area.
I will be sure to update my sig line when I get pictures from the game uploaded to my site.
- indyredbird
- All-Star
- Posts: 1336
- Joined: September 26 06, 2:35 pm
- Location: Whitestown, IN
greenback44 wrote:First three-game sweep since 1997. The Brewers swept a four-game series in April 2002. TLR was more concerned with HBP protocol than winning games then IIRC.indyredbird wrote:1st sweep in Milw since 1997
I was quoting Bob Uecker. I listened to the Brewers broadcast on XM.
- longhornbaseball
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 5527
- Joined: April 18 06, 10:37 pm
For those who are interested.
Code: Select all
Pitch Count Vel. pitch %
--------------------------------
Fastball 68 91.0 69%
Change 19 75.7 19%
Curve 11 75.6 11%
Fastballs
---------
88 1
89 6
90 6
91 19
92 11
93 6
swinging strikes: 14
with a fastball: 6 (91, 91, 92, 92)
hits on fastball: 1
hits on change: 1
Hits on curve: 1
Inn. fast. pitches fb%
-----------------------------
1st 15 18 83%
2nd 8 9 89%
3rd 11 16 69%
4th 13 23 57%
5th 15 21 71%
6th 6 11 55%
Last edited by longhornbaseball on May 2 07, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Hungary Jack
- Mother Earth
- Posts: 19536
- Joined: July 24 06, 6:03 am
- Location: In Cognito
Thanks Longhorn for your thoughts and stats.
Reyes really seems to be improving. I am starting to feel much better about him. His velocity is better, and he seems to be learning. He seems to get into trouble when he starts wandering up in the K zone.
I am amazed by the amount of bad fortune this team has encountered (Hancock aside). There is all sorts of bizarre $hit going on--bad hops, bad calls, fluky windblown doubles that land in the Bermuda triangle, etc. It reminds me a bit of the Cubs in prior years, where they just seemed to attract bad fortune.
But the little things become big ones when your team is not talented enough to overcome the bumps in the road. We've been spoiled somewhat by excellent fundamental baseball for almost a decade. Now it's torturous to witness the ineptitude. It's dumbfounding, but it's part of the ebb and flow of the world's most metaphorical game.
Reyes really seems to be improving. I am starting to feel much better about him. His velocity is better, and he seems to be learning. He seems to get into trouble when he starts wandering up in the K zone.
I am amazed by the amount of bad fortune this team has encountered (Hancock aside). There is all sorts of bizarre $hit going on--bad hops, bad calls, fluky windblown doubles that land in the Bermuda triangle, etc. It reminds me a bit of the Cubs in prior years, where they just seemed to attract bad fortune.
But the little things become big ones when your team is not talented enough to overcome the bumps in the road. We've been spoiled somewhat by excellent fundamental baseball for almost a decade. Now it's torturous to witness the ineptitude. It's dumbfounding, but it's part of the ebb and flow of the world's most metaphorical game.
- Transmogrified Tiger
- Puppy Murderer
- Posts: 9323
- Joined: April 25 06, 6:07 pm
- Location: Across the River





