Page 4 of 25
Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!
Posted: October 3 07, 2:10 pm
by mikechamp
Is Pittsburgh kicking themselves right now? Probably not.
It'll be interesting if the Seattle rumor turns out to be true.... for both TLR and Jocketty.
Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!
Posted: October 3 07, 2:11 pm
by Radbird
Yeah, I'm not happy to see Walt leave, but if things were as factionalized as reported, and Walt's faction wasn't aligned with DeWitt, then I suspect his effectiveness going forward would've been severely impaired. So that's why I initially viewed this as a step forward.
But it's a whole new ballgame now. Will Tony stay? Probably not. Will his guy, Oquendo, get the manager's chair? Perhaps not as sure a bet as we had thought. And will whoever permanently replaces Jocketty be DeWitt's puppet?
Lots of questions, no answers yet. It's going to be interesting.
Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!
Posted: October 3 07, 2:11 pm
by Arthur Dent
omaha_red wrote:mikechamp wrote:But they're making it sound like they dismissed Walt, not that Walt quit. Or am I misinterpreting your statements?
on STLtoday the headline is
"Cards Fire Jocketty"
If he had another year left on his contract, it can only really be a firing, right?
Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!
Posted: October 3 07, 2:12 pm
by docellis
You would assume that they would work out some type of deal that avoided a "Cards Fire Jocketty" headline. You'd think after all he's done for them they could have allowed him to resign.
Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!
Posted: October 3 07, 2:12 pm
by Bo Hart
In the meeting, DeWitt informed Jocketty that the franchise was moving forward without him and thanked Jocketty for his service.
It’s expected that DeWitt will explain his reasons for what appears to be a dismissal, rather than a Jocketty resignation, during the news conference
Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!
Posted: October 3 07, 2:13 pm
by ghostrunner
F(*&$!
Well, I have to give Strauss credit. Looks like he was right. I still don't get how you can report that you know of a rift without being able to produce more than quote from a minor league employee.
This blows in so many ways. Pardon my French. I'm sure Tony's gone too.
Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!
Posted: October 3 07, 2:14 pm
by omaha_red
docellis wrote:You would assume that they would work out some type of deal that avoided a "Cards Fire Jocketty" headline. You'd think after all he's done for them they could have allowed him to resign.
exactly.. i didn't like seeing that..
Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!
Posted: October 3 07, 2:15 pm
by haltz
Will the press conference be televised? I probably missed the answer to that question somewhere ...
Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!
Posted: October 3 07, 2:15 pm
by cardinalkarp
haltz wrote:Will the press conference be televised? I probably missed the answer to that question somewhere ...
Not that I've seen.
Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!
Posted: October 3 07, 2:16 pm
by cardinalkarp
I've got a feeling this is going to piss of ALOT of the players as well.