Page 4 of 11

Re: The Wonders of Dubai

Posted: March 28 08, 2:55 am
by G. Keenan
mikechamp wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:I do wonder about the sustainability of these massive projects in such an arid place though.
I bet at one point people said the same thing about Las Vegas.
I still wonder about Vegas. Yeah, it's okay now, but in 100 years?

Re: The Wonders of Dubai

Posted: March 28 08, 7:34 am
by clevername
G. Keenan wrote:
mikechamp wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:I do wonder about the sustainability of these massive projects in such an arid place though.
I bet at one point people said the same thing about Las Vegas.
I still wonder about Vegas. Yeah, it's okay now, but in 100 years?
according to Resident Evil movies once the zombies take over Vegas will have sand covering most of the strip. I'm not sure what's keeping the sand out now (do they have giant fans?), but we shouldn't neglect the zombie factor.

Re: The Wonders of Dubai

Posted: March 28 08, 7:44 am
by lukethedrifter
Besides the zombie issue there is the sustainability issue and the upcoming water wars (which may lead to the zombie issue)

Re: The Wonders of Dubai

Posted: March 28 08, 9:21 am
by thrill
clevername wrote: I'm not sure what's keeping the sand out now (do they have giant fans?)
It's not much of a sandy climate. It's a rocky desert. Dusty, sure.

Re: The Wonders of Dubai

Posted: March 28 08, 9:58 am
by clevername
thrill wrote:
clevername wrote: I'm not sure what's keeping the sand out now (do they have giant fans?)
It's not much of a sandy climate. It's a rocky desert. Dusty, sure.
yeah, I know. I was speaking from a view inside the Resident Evilverse.

Re: The Wonders of Dubai

Posted: March 28 08, 10:10 am
by thrill
clevername wrote:
thrill wrote:
clevername wrote: I'm not sure what's keeping the sand out now (do they have giant fans?)
It's not much of a sandy climate. It's a rocky desert. Dusty, sure.
yeah, I know. I was speaking from a view inside the Resident Evilverse.
Ah. The Evilverse is not my domain so I cannot speak to that.

Re: The Wonders of Dubai

Posted: March 28 08, 11:00 am
by jim
G. Keenan wrote:
mikechamp wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:I do wonder about the sustainability of these massive projects in such an arid place though.
I bet at one point people said the same thing about Las Vegas.
I still wonder about Vegas. Yeah, it's okay now, but in 100 years?
Me too. It's just not natural for that many people to be in a desert. Something is going to give.

Re: The Wonders of Dubai

Posted: March 28 08, 11:06 am
by Dillagii
I love Dubai. All my folks live in Dubai. You get everything in Dubai. The society is so diverse over there.

I agree with Clement regarding the traffic in Dubai. Its really horrible. But once subway train service comes, which is under construction, things will get better. There is so much to do in Dubai.

Re: The Wonders of Dubai

Posted: March 28 08, 12:02 pm
by Maclowery
I think it looks like an absolutely amazing city. Some of the stuff you see pictures of looks more like a sci-fi movie than some real place. It's fascinating to me.

I hope they succeed and continue to become this amazing spectacle city. Otherworldly splendor isn't the end of the world. Des Moines is.

Re: The Wonders of Dubai

Posted: August 15 08, 12:45 pm
by TimeForGuinness
Update (August 8th) on the Burj Dubai skyscraper: http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2008 ... i_1009.jpg

Pic is too big to post here.