Oscar Taveras
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: Oscar Taveras
Anyone think Oscar could play CF? Any thoughts?
- go birds
- -go birds
- Posts: 32057
- Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am
Re: Oscar Taveras
no one answer jim's question
let's see how pissed he gets
let's see how pissed he gets
-
Magneto2.0
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 18091
- Joined: June 16 07, 2:12 pm
Re: Oscar Taveras
I really don't think anyone on this board has ever seen Oscar enough in the outfield to really answer that.
- Swirls
- gone fission
- Posts: 8299
- Joined: December 11 07, 4:15 pm
- Location: South Korea
Re: Oscar Taveras
I'm sure phins saw him play live a ton last year at AA.Magneto2.0 wrote:I really don't think anyone on this board has ever seen Oscar enough in the outfield to really answer that.
- lukethedrifter
- darjeeling sipping elite
- Posts: 37260
- Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
- Location: Huis Clos
Re: Oscar Taveras
I wonder if Oscar can play CF.
- go birds
- -go birds
- Posts: 32057
- Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am
Re: Oscar Taveras
I played cf on our frat softball team
-
Socnorb11
- The Last Word
- Posts: 21906
- Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Re: Oscar Taveras
He's playing CF at AAA, right? That tells me that he can likely play it at the MLB level. We won't really know how well he can play it unless we actually see him.
-
jerbyrd25
- Everyday Player
- Posts: 364
- Joined: May 4 10, 6:05 am
Re: Oscar Taveras
Considering the tweets out of Memphis, PRIOR to when he re-injured his ankle, were that he was limping around out there, I don't think he will recovery soon enough to be a factor in CF this year.jim wrote:I keep asking but I don't get an answer, anyone know how he has looked in CF? Is he developing to the point where he could play CF in the big leagues?
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: Oscar Taveras
That is EXACTLY what I wonder too.lukethedrifter wrote:I wonder if Oscar can play CF.
-
phins
- Sobbing quietly during Fox programming
- Posts: 12079
- Joined: June 9 06, 3:51 pm
Re: Oscar Taveras
Yeah, I've seen him live a dozen times or more and he played CF every time I watched him but possibly one, where he might have DH'd for whatever reason. I have not seen him play in Memphis yet.
He'd be passable in CF for a while, but he's a good corner OF'er in my mind. He's not the fastest guy, and his initial instinct is to find the ball rather than reading it immediately off the bat. Some guys do that in CF because the angle is so much different. It's a lot easier to read the ball off the bat in a corner and you can usually play the spin as well. In CF you need more range and read the ball better. I'd have no problem with him playing there for a few years, but he's never going to make you miss Jim Edmonds out there.
At least in my mind...
He'd be passable in CF for a while, but he's a good corner OF'er in my mind. He's not the fastest guy, and his initial instinct is to find the ball rather than reading it immediately off the bat. Some guys do that in CF because the angle is so much different. It's a lot easier to read the ball off the bat in a corner and you can usually play the spin as well. In CF you need more range and read the ball better. I'd have no problem with him playing there for a few years, but he's never going to make you miss Jim Edmonds out there.
At least in my mind...


