Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
User avatar
BW23
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12896
Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by BW23 »

lukethedrifter wrote:I can't believe the stupidity of Americans. This tripe that BW keeps repeating is just utter nonsense but it clearly works and that depresses me. OTOH the digging through Palin's garbage can to find some trash that may stick when thrown against the wall is nearly as depressing yet doesn't work. When did Republicans get so good at playing the victim? Politics is certainly a cynics game.
Sorry that I'm stupid, I guess.

I think the Rep party is just better at the PR game at the moment. As I've said many times, that can change quickly. I never thought they could out-duel the Obama camp in that game. Not this year. Not in any way. But they're clearly ahead, and Obama and Biden seem to be at a desperate level at the moment.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

tscards wrote:This has been a fun thread to read.

Question: We have some people at my work that just seem to be very "Angry" about the Republican Party. They are 1,000% Dem, and just seem to invoke anger into everything they've been saying to others lately, including "I'm right!!", and "You need to be more open-minded" .... ???

Any recommendations on dealing with political issues with others that share a different viewpoint & are so entirely mad & vocal about it?
I just ignore them. If people want to be mad, that's their way of life, don't let it become yours as well...... Interestingly enough, there is an article about this (being happy) on msn right now.

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/dep ... &GT1=31009
Indeed, a cheerful disposition can help you get through the tough patches that cloud every life, but do people who see the glass half-full also enjoy better health than gloomy types who see it half-empty?

According to a series of studies from the U.S. and Europe, the answer is yes. Optimism helps people cope with disease and recover from surgery. Even more impressive is the impact of a positive outlook on overall health and longevity.

User avatar
BW23
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12896
Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by BW23 »

tscards wrote:This has been a fun thread to read.

Question: We have some people at my work that just seem to be very "Angry" about the Republican Party. They are 1,000% Dem, and just seem to invoke anger into everything they've been saying to others lately, including "I'm right!!", and "You need to be more open-minded" .... ???

Any recommendations on dealing with political issues with others that share a different viewpoint & are so entirely mad & vocal about it?
Clearly I'm not the one to ask. Just look at how a few view me here.

Avoid it at work. That's my suggestion. When I hear stuff I disagree with at work, which is rare, I just shut my door.

Or you can just ask that it not be discussed in the workplace.

User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by lukethedrifter »

BW23 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:I can't believe the stupidity of Americans. This tripe that BW keeps repeating is just utter nonsense but it clearly works and that depresses me. OTOH the digging through Palin's garbage can to find some trash that may stick when thrown against the wall is nearly as depressing yet doesn't work. When did Republicans get so good at playing the victim? Politics is certainly a cynics game.
Sorry that I'm stupid, I guess.

I think the Rep party is just better at the PR game at the moment. As I've said many times, that can change quickly. I never thought they could out-duel the Obama camp in that game. Not this year. Not in any way. But they're clearly ahead, and Obama and Biden seem to be at a desperate level at the moment.
You should certainly be proud of yourself.

User avatar
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB
Posts: 38623
Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Location: Louisville

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by sighyoung »

BW23 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:I can't believe the stupidity of Americans. This tripe that BW keeps repeating is just utter nonsense but it clearly works and that depresses me. OTOH the digging through Palin's garbage can to find some trash that may stick when thrown against the wall is nearly as depressing yet doesn't work. When did Republicans get so good at playing the victim? Politics is certainly a cynics game.
Sorry that I'm stupid, I guess.

I think the Rep party is just better at the PR game at the moment. As I've said many times, that can change quickly. I never thought they could out-duel the Obama camp in that game. Not this year. Not in any way. But they're clearly ahead, and Obama and Biden seem to be at a desperate level at the moment.

James Fallows wrote something interesting about this on his Atlantic blog a few weeks ago--that Obama's campaign is focused on Obama as a brand, while McCain's campaign is focused on winning the nightly news cycle. I agree, the Republican party has been better at this for some time, but I also thought Obama's campaign, which was so efficient in the primaries, would be better than this. They've been losing ground for a month now.

User avatar
BW23
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12896
Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by BW23 »

lukethedrifter wrote:
BW23 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:I can't believe the stupidity of Americans. This tripe that BW keeps repeating is just utter nonsense but it clearly works and that depresses me. OTOH the digging through Palin's garbage can to find some trash that may stick when thrown against the wall is nearly as depressing yet doesn't work. When did Republicans get so good at playing the victim? Politics is certainly a cynics game.
Sorry that I'm stupid, I guess.

I think the Rep party is just better at the PR game at the moment. As I've said many times, that can change quickly. I never thought they could out-duel the Obama camp in that game. Not this year. Not in any way. But they're clearly ahead, and Obama and Biden seem to be at a desperate level at the moment.
You should certainly be proud of yourself.
What's that mean?

User avatar
BW23
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12896
Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by BW23 »

sighyoung wrote:
BW23 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:I can't believe the stupidity of Americans. This tripe that BW keeps repeating is just utter nonsense but it clearly works and that depresses me. OTOH the digging through Palin's garbage can to find some trash that may stick when thrown against the wall is nearly as depressing yet doesn't work. When did Republicans get so good at playing the victim? Politics is certainly a cynics game.
Sorry that I'm stupid, I guess.

I think the Rep party is just better at the PR game at the moment. As I've said many times, that can change quickly. I never thought they could out-duel the Obama camp in that game. Not this year. Not in any way. But they're clearly ahead, and Obama and Biden seem to be at a desperate level at the moment.

James Fallows wrote something interesting about this on his Atlantic blog a few weeks ago--that Obama's campaign is focused on Obama as a brand, while McCain's campaign is focused on winning the nightly news cycle. I agree, the Republican party has been better at this for some time, but I also thought Obama's campaign, which was so efficient in the primaries, would be better than this. They've been losing ground for a month now.
I think Obama peaked a few months ago. But I thought once he started matching up with McCain, he'd go back up. Hasn't really worked that way. The chance he had to do it was snuffed out with the timing of the Palin announcement. This was a week where they could have started moving forward again, but I believe they've gone back further. The pig and Muslim comments from Obama and the numerous gaffes by Biden have outweighed anything positive at all that they've said.

User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by lukethedrifter »

BW23 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
BW23 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:I can't believe the stupidity of Americans. This tripe that BW keeps repeating is just utter nonsense but it clearly works and that depresses me. OTOH the digging through Palin's garbage can to find some trash that may stick when thrown against the wall is nearly as depressing yet doesn't work. When did Republicans get so good at playing the victim? Politics is certainly a cynics game.
Sorry that I'm stupid, I guess.

I think the Rep party is just better at the PR game at the moment. As I've said many times, that can change quickly. I never thought they could out-duel the Obama camp in that game. Not this year. Not in any way. But they're clearly ahead, and Obama and Biden seem to be at a desperate level at the moment.
You should certainly be proud of yourself.
What's that mean?
I guess I'm just bitter at regular people who promote the politics of the sound bite. I am sure you aren't dumb but rather cagey and adept at parsing words to find a useable soundbite to make a point, one that has little to do with leadership.

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21906
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by Socnorb11 »

BW23 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
BW23 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:I can't believe the stupidity of Americans. This tripe that BW keeps repeating is just utter nonsense but it clearly works and that depresses me. OTOH the digging through Palin's garbage can to find some trash that may stick when thrown against the wall is nearly as depressing yet doesn't work. When did Republicans get so good at playing the victim? Politics is certainly a cynics game.
Sorry that I'm stupid, I guess.

I think the Rep party is just better at the PR game at the moment. As I've said many times, that can change quickly. I never thought they could out-duel the Obama camp in that game. Not this year. Not in any way. But they're clearly ahead, and Obama and Biden seem to be at a desperate level at the moment.
You should certainly be proud of yourself.
What's that mean?

It clearly means that Palin is a pig and McCain is an old fish. How can you not see that? Open your eyes.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 10952
Joined: May 18 06, 10:09 pm
Location: East of the middle of West Tennessee

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by Spider John »

It showed poor judgment by Obama to use the line, whether it was meant as a jab at Palin or not. It left him open for the negative uproar it is causing.

It may be ridiculous to base your vote on this one thing, but there are some who will vote for McCain because of this, just as some will vote for McCain just because he has chosen a woman for his VP, or Obama because he is black. Many of the votes cast in elections have little to do with the issues.

Locked