Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
User avatar
wart57
just can't quit you.
Posts: 25075
Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Location: Lost

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by wart57 »

JL21 wrote:
wart57 wrote:
Richie Allen wrote:
wart57 wrote:I think the claims that Palin's experience as a small town mayor was irrelevant came first.
From who?
They were all over the media and this board as well as countless bloggers all over the country.
But not from the Obama camp.
Did I say they were?

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by JL21 »

obucard wrote:This is a political thread. Logic and intelligence go out the window if they make your candidate look bad.
Slamming everyone else's logic and intelligence and intentions really doesn't do the discussion any great service.

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21906
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by Socnorb11 »

wart57 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
wart57 wrote:
Richie Allen wrote:
wart57 wrote:I think the claims that Palin's experience as a small town mayor was irrelevant came first.
From who?
They were all over the media and this board as well as countless bloggers all over the country.
So because the media questioned her experience, that gives Palin the right to mock Obama's service?

I don't get the connection.

The media has also questioned Obama's experience.
So it is not ok for her defend herself?

I don't have a problem with her defending herself. I don't think that it's OK for her to defend herself from the media by mocking Obama's community service.

It seemed like you were trying to make a connection between the two, and I don't see it.

User avatar
BW23
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12896
Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by BW23 »

GatewaySnayke wrote:
BW23 wrote:Maybe they were mocking his "community organizing" because of what many believe that "organizing" entailed.
OOOOH! Good point. He was probably converting wayward kids into Muslims! Muslims who deal drugs! Muslims who are going to bomb the harbor!!!

What do you think the organizing was?
I don't know. That's why you don't see me comment on it. There's enough to question. And there's those that don't think it was anything to certainly brag about.

Do a google search if you want to read any of it. I'm sure you'll find plenty there. Not that you're really interested. It won't fit with your cute comments here.

User avatar
wart57
just can't quit you.
Posts: 25075
Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Location: Lost

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by wart57 »

docellis wrote:
wart57 wrote:
Richie Allen wrote:
wart57 wrote:I think the claims that Palin's experience as a small town mayor was irrelevant came first.
From who?
They were all over the media and this board as well as countless bloggers all over the country.

I hadn't seen that reported anywhere, or blogged about anywhere.
Are you serious? Did you watch the little video that was posted in this thread befor Palin talked at the RNC, whaer the daily show was making fun of the pundits? One othe Dems attacking her was talking about it.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by JL21 »

wart57 wrote:
JL21 wrote:
wart57 wrote:
Richie Allen wrote:
wart57 wrote:I think the claims that Palin's experience as a small town mayor was irrelevant came first.
From who?
They were all over the media and this board as well as countless bloggers all over the country.
But not from the Obama camp.
Did I say they were?
No, but since your post was in direct reply to comments about the Obama/Palin "he said/she said", it seemed implied to me.

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21906
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by Socnorb11 »

BW23 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
BW23 wrote:Maybe they were mocking his "community organizing" because of what many believe that "organizing" entailed.
Maybe they were mocking it because they don't know what it entailed.
Because you do? I'm sure anyone that commented at the RNC had read plenty about it.
Really? Why didn't they elaborate then? Wouldn't that have been better? Then they wouldn't have come across as elitists who think that community leadership is a bad thing.

User avatar
wart57
just can't quit you.
Posts: 25075
Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Location: Lost

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by wart57 »

Socnorb11 wrote:
wart57 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
wart57 wrote:
Richie Allen wrote:
wart57 wrote:I think the claims that Palin's experience as a small town mayor was irrelevant came first.
From who?
They were all over the media and this board as well as countless bloggers all over the country.
So because the media questioned her experience, that gives Palin the right to mock Obama's service?

I don't get the connection.

The media has also questioned Obama's experience.
So it is not ok for her defend herself?

I don't have a problem with her defending herself. I don't think that it's OK for her to defend herself from the media by mocking Obama's community service.

It seemed like you were trying to make a connection between the two, and I don't see it.
I have to ask, why did you cut out my comment about the RNC being over the top in their attacks? Did it not fit with your questioning of me?

User avatar
GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11923
Joined: July 23 06, 11:54 pm
Location: GatewaySnaykebird

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by GatewaySnayke »

BW23 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
BW23 wrote:Maybe they were mocking his "community organizing" because of what many believe that "organizing" entailed.
Maybe they were mocking it because they don't know what it entailed.
Because you do? I'm sure anyone that commented at the RNC had read plenty about it.
It's not that hard to use the Internet and figure out what he was doing.
Obama's work focused on helping poor blacks on Chicago's South Side fight the city for things like job banks and asbestos removal. His teachers were schooled in a style of organizing devised by Saul Alinsky, the radical University of Chicagotrained social scientist. At the heart of the Alinsky method is the concept of "agitation"--making someone angry enough about the rotten state of his life that he agrees to take action to change it; or, as Alinsky himself described the job, to "rub raw the sores of discontent."

On this particular evening, Kruglik was debriefing Obama about his work when a panhandler approached. Instead of ignoring the man, Obama confronted him. "Now, young man, is that really what you want be about?" Obama demanded. "I mean, come on, don't you want to be better than that? Let's get yourself together."

Kruglik remembers this episode as an example of why, in ten years of training organizers, Obama was the best student he ever had. He was a natural, the undisputed master of agitation, who could engage a room full of recruiting targets in a rapid-fire Socratic dialogue, nudging them to admit that they were not living up to their own standards. As with the panhandler, he could be aggressive and confrontational. With probing, sometimes personal questions, he would pinpoint the source of pain in their lives, tearing down their egos just enough before dangling a carrot of hope that they could make things better.

User avatar
GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11923
Joined: July 23 06, 11:54 pm
Location: GatewaySnaykebird

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by GatewaySnayke »

BW23 wrote:
GatewaySnayke wrote:
BW23 wrote:Maybe they were mocking his "community organizing" because of what many believe that "organizing" entailed.
OOOOH! Good point. He was probably converting wayward kids into Muslims! Muslims who deal drugs! Muslims who are going to bomb the harbor!!!

What do you think the organizing was?
I don't know. That's why you don't see me comment on it. There's enough to question. And there's those that don't think it was anything to certainly brag about.

Do a google search if you want to read any of it. I'm sure you'll find plenty there. Not that you're really interested. It won't fit with your cute comments here.
Read ahead.

Locked