haltz wrote:If you were a server assigned to the kid's section, the appropriate response would be to just kill yourself.
Do servers ever get training on how to handle kids? I wish servers would always bring the kids food out first. That can solve a lot of problems for everyone. Also, don't being kids drinks in huge glasses without lids.
I tell servers to ask the parents if they'd like the kids food out first or not. Sometimes they want them to learn some patience and eat their entrees with everyone else. Lids are great unless you want to clean up a mess. Every once in a while you offend the older of the siblings by putting lids on everything. It's hard to know where the cutoff is.
Now you've got me wondering what other people do with lids.
That's an interesting thought about patience. I can't decided if it's learned or genetic, but some people lose all reason when they're hungry. My sister and I were raised to wait, wait, wait, and we had late dinner times. My wife gets "hangry" (her word) though and she's big about getting the kids food early. And I have to admit the difference between having dinner at 6 vs 7 or 7:30 is noticeable. Our 4 year old doesn't even know he's hungry, just starts [expletive] about anything. And the earlier we feed him the less likely he is to be picky about it. Wait too long and he nitpicks and takes forever to eat. Exact opposite of what you'd think should happen.
IMADreamer wrote:You know how there used to be a smoking and non smoking section in restaurants? There needs to be a kids and no kids section. Screaming ass kids are unacceptable.
+++
I'm not opposed to that as a parent, but potentially you just end up with a bunch of bratty adults who never had to adjust their behavior for anyone else.
So true Ghost. I think even when I don't have kids, I will still frequent places that welcome them. They provide some sort of balance. Places that cater too much to an age-range or specific demographic tend to be obnoxious.
On the extreme for kids' -Chuck E Cheese, Magic House -eek. On the adult side-Vegas, adult only wedding receptions. etc Lame.
I'm pretty much the opposite. Balance is overrated. I like Vegas and had an adult only wedding. I think shoehorning kids into every place and event is obnoxious.
That's not to say kids don't have their place, but sometimes everyone (including kids and parents) have a better time when they stay home. On the other hand, Chuck E Cheese is great as well.
I don't care so much about restaurants, but I'd definitely go to a kid free movie theater if we had one. I miss the Alamo in Austin.
IMADreamer wrote:You know how there used to be a smoking and non smoking section in restaurants? There needs to be a kids and no kids section. Screaming ass kids are unacceptable.
+++
I'm not opposed to that as a parent, but potentially you just end up with a bunch of bratty adults who never had to adjust their behavior for anyone else.
So true Ghost. I think even when I don't have kids, I will still frequent places that welcome them. They provide some sort of balance. Places that cater too much to an age-range or specific demographic tend to be obnoxious.
On the extreme for kids' -Chuck E Cheese, Magic House -eek. On the adult side-Vegas, adult only wedding receptions. etc Lame.
I'm pretty much the opposite. Balance is overrated. I like Vegas and had an adult only wedding. I think shoehorning kids into every place and event is obnoxious.
That's not to say kids don't have their place, but sometimes everyone (including kids and parents) have a better time when they stay home. On the other hand, Chuck E Cheese is great as well.
Just generalizing. There are some nice restaurants I wouldn't take my kid to, and can enjoy. Maybe it's because I prefer more outside, and casual dining experiences. Maybe it's more of the St. Louis family thing - the few times I've been in urban Chicago -I preferred not to have kids around. The adult only weddings I've been to, which I enjoyed, were in Chicago.
When we have adult only gatherings with friends, and no kids - almost every time someone does something regrettably stupid, that they probably wouldn't have with one foot in the real world. Going out with a few other adults is fun, but with a huge group isn't. Stupid ass adult party buses to the wineries. ugh. We did a pub crawl with party bus, a few of the bars wouldn't let us in when they saw the bus, and someone puking. [expletive] that.
Rest assured, my kid was bar-trained from a young age.
Last edited by Freed Roger on August 25 14, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
That's an interesting thought about patience. I can't decided if it's learned or genetic, but some people lose all reason when they're hungry. My sister and I were raised to wait, wait, wait, and we had late dinner times. My wife gets "hangry" (her word) though and she's big about getting the kids food early. And I have to admit the difference between having dinner at 6 vs 7 or 7:30 is noticeable. Our 4 year old doesn't even know he's hungry, just starts [expletive] about anything. And the earlier we feed him the less likely he is to be picky about it. Wait too long and he nitpicks and takes forever to eat. Exact opposite of what you'd think should happen.
I'm sure it's both. You can need food quickly because you have blood sugar issues or you can just be a [expletive] a-hole or a brat.
A lot of things depend on age and parenting style. Your kids are pretty young, but there comes a point where I have no idea about lids or bringing food out first. If it were me I'd be very explicit about how I wanted things done until my kids were obviously old enough to eat and drink in the same manner as everyone else (whenever that is, 12yo or something).
At least where I work, kids are about 1/5th of the cover average (price per head), so it's a lot more work for a lot less money. A couple extra bucks and an apology for the food all over the floor is a nice gesture. But whatever, it's all part of the business and I don't have to deal with it all that often. I don't understand how someone works at a Red Robin or some place like that.
There tends to be a stark contrast around food and dining experiences with girls vs boys. I say this even with my stepdaughter being a kind of food slob.
I grew up in male-dominated environment - we were wild at the table. I'm reminded about this when our friends' boys are around.
haltz wrote:If you were a server assigned to the kid's section, the appropriate response would be to just kill yourself.
Seriously.
ghostrunner wrote:Do servers ever get training on how to handle kids? I wish servers would always bring the kids food out first. That can solve a lot of problems for everyone. Also, don't being kids drinks in huge glasses without lids.
Depending on how busy I am, what kind of party I'm dealing with, etc. I'll sometimes ask if they'd rather I brought the kids' stuff out first.
haltz wrote:Every once in a while you offend the older of the siblings by putting lids on everything. It's hard to know where the cutoff is.
My rule of thumb is just if they look old/strong enough to pick up a glass without any difficulty they can have one.
If I want to go to dinner with my kids, I do. If you have a problem with kids, sorry. Mrs. Wart and I work very hard to make sure we are keeping the noise down with our kids; it takes constant reinforcement to keep things somewhat orderly. My wife gets all worked up if the kids make too much noise, I understand they are little and need to get the energy out somehow. If my kids get too loud, we walk outside so as not to bother other patrons. I have gotten dirty looks a few times when my kids get a little loud, but it is the [expletive] Olive Garden, if you don't like kids, don't go to a family restaurant, or asked to get moved. Don’t give me the death stare, I am married, the death stare has no effect on me. I am more likely to let the little ones get a little louder than normal if you give me an attitude, I have as much right to be there as you do, as long as my kids don’t get too out of hand, and we never let them get too loud. Live and let live, you are not the only person on this planet.
I hear you, wart. IMO, every place that's not a fine dining place or a bar, should be fair game for kids. I think it's important for their growth and maturation as well. I'm surprised people bring their kids into haltz' place though.
planet p wrote:I hear you, wart. IMO, every place that's not a fine dining place or a bar, should be fair game for kids. I think it's important for their growth and maturation as well. I'm surprised people bring their kids into haltz' place though.
I agree with this. If I go to Olive Garden, I should expect kids and as long as the parents are reasonable, I'm fine with them. I'm glad there are places that are effectively adults only and it's also great there are places for kids.