Page 38 of 347

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Posted: February 3 09, 5:30 pm
by ghostrunner
Jocephus wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:I have to say I've become a little nonplussed with the video quality of the Netflix streaming. The selection could be better, but there's a ton of things available that I'd like to watch. There's a pretty noticeable blur to almost anything I rent that way. It's okay for some tv shows and standup specials, but for movies I'll be sticking with DVDs for now.

On that note, has anyone seen tips for improving the video? My router does port forwarding automatically, so I'm not sure what else I could change there.
this probably wont be of any help, but in my situation (xbox360/dsl)...the tv shows and movies (through streaming) generally appear like regular analog tv right now (not in HD)...so, not perfect or ideal, but workable...one thing that i do is once i get video i pause the movie/show, and let it buffer up...seems to help a little...and, ive been getting emails from netflix asking "how was the video quality on so and so...." and you click the link that it was, usually "great, acceptable, bad"...so that might help...over time
Heh. I was just looking this up and realized the stuff I'm talking about isn't in HD on Netflix, so that's probably it. My DVD player upconverts, so I'm not used to the lesser quality. And the Heroes episode I watched a while back that looked good probably was in HD.

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Posted: February 3 09, 5:39 pm
by Tambourine Man
Has anyone downloaded "Braid" from XBL? It got great reviews.

The streaming thing...My connection must suck because I've only gotten more than 1 bar on the quality meter for Empire of the Sun. Everything else is grainy as hell and subtitiles are painfully hard to read.

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Posted: February 3 09, 5:42 pm
by haltz
I canceled it because I hardly used it, but with a good connection and on a tube TV, it was hard to tell the difference between the streaming movies and popping in a standard definition DVD.

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Posted: February 3 09, 5:47 pm
by ghostrunner
ghostrunner wrote:
Jocephus wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:I have to say I've become a little nonplussed with the video quality of the Netflix streaming. The selection could be better, but there's a ton of things available that I'd like to watch. There's a pretty noticeable blur to almost anything I rent that way. It's okay for some tv shows and standup specials, but for movies I'll be sticking with DVDs for now.

On that note, has anyone seen tips for improving the video? My router does port forwarding automatically, so I'm not sure what else I could change there.
this probably wont be of any help, but in my situation (xbox360/dsl)...the tv shows and movies (through streaming) generally appear like regular analog tv right now (not in HD)...so, not perfect or ideal, but workable...one thing that i do is once i get video i pause the movie/show, and let it buffer up...seems to help a little...and, ive been getting emails from netflix asking "how was the video quality on so and so...." and you click the link that it was, usually "great, acceptable, bad"...so that might help...over time
Heh. I was just looking this up and realized the stuff I'm talking about isn't in HD on Netflix, so that's probably it. My DVD player upconverts, so I'm not used to the lesser quality. And the Heroes episode I watched a while back that looked good probably was in HD.
Actually, I just checked and the Heroes stuff isn't in HD, so I guess the quality is just spotty. I may have been watching that late at night during low traffic hours, which I'm sure makes a difference. I'm kind of anxious to try the HD stuff now.

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Posted: February 3 09, 5:54 pm
by Jocephus
Tambourine Man wrote:Has anyone downloaded "Braid" from XBL? It got great reviews.

The streaming thing...My connection must suck because I've only gotten more than 1 bar on the quality meter for Empire of the Sun. Everything else is grainy as hell and subtitiles are painfully hard to read.
for some reason, i get 1 bar consistently for tv shows and 2 consistently for movies...never been over two...but, like i said they stream in standard definition

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Posted: February 3 09, 5:58 pm
by Michael
joc, what's that game in your sig?

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Posted: February 3 09, 6:02 pm
by Jocephus
Michael wrote:joc, what's that game in your sig?
RESIDENT EVIL...FIVE!!!!!

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Posted: February 4 09, 4:39 pm
by Jocephus
picked up Left 4 Dead at the noon hour

gun'na be guud!

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Posted: February 4 09, 5:44 pm
by Ace
Tambourine Man wrote:Has anyone downloaded "Braid" from XBL? It got great reviews.
I just purchased Castle Crashers, but I'll be getting Braid next when I have time.

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Posted: February 4 09, 5:45 pm
by cpebbles
Called back last night and sat on hold for 45 minutes while trying to convince a guy at the North American tech support center, and then his supervisor, that "highway contract" addresses are not P.O. boxes and I could receive shipments there. They finally agreed to it with a bullheaded insistence on putting the box number first and the H.C. number last as if that was the misunderstanding the whole time. Now I just have to hope that the USPS isn't as obstinate, and will deliver a package with a backwards address.