The Video Game Thread
- clevername
- Bringer of FRBG
- Posts: 10380
- Joined: April 16 06, 7:13 pm
- Location: Alabama
Re: New Xbox Live "experience"
I'm agreeing with Michael here.
I don't like the survival horror part of it to begin with, but I'd be down for all the exploring and zombie killing if I didn't feel like my character was moving through molasses with 100 lb weights tied to each limb. I haven't tried the new demo because I assume they haven't changed that part of it and it sounds like I'm right.
I don't like the survival horror part of it to begin with, but I'd be down for all the exploring and zombie killing if I didn't feel like my character was moving through molasses with 100 lb weights tied to each limb. I haven't tried the new demo because I assume they haven't changed that part of it and it sounds like I'm right.
-
Jocephus
- 99% conan clips
- Posts: 64992
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Re: New Xbox Live "experience"
well thats the whole thing...if you are familiar with the RE controls, this is no different than its been for the previous installments...now you can say "well, the zombies move faster thus making it harder to do the stop and shoot style"...thats why you go for headshots, and use "environmentals" to help the process, plus you dont have to kill all of them, you can get past them...and, it does seem as if they (capcom) put a lot of pick ups (ammo, health, weapons) around, you just need to know where to find 'emMichael wrote:It is a can of worms. I feel they are using an awkward control system in order to build tension, which is backward. I didn't play Dead Space, but I heard it builds the tension that is key to survival horror, while having a more realistic control scheme. That sounds right to me.
I didn't try co-op. Maybe I give it a whirl sometime.
i would agree that the game (or at least, this version) may not be a classic "survival horror" genre anymore and more of the "action" variety, but even still...its tense for me (and not because of the controls)...but because i have limited ammo and tons of zombies comin at me...did you fight the chainsaw guy? that builds tension if you ask me...gettin' yer head chopped off
i am an admitted RE fan (though i haven't played all of them) so i may be biased, but i think the demo is great and i cannot wait for the release.
edit: i dont get the "slow as molasses" stuff either (ive heard a lot of other people say the same thing)...i mean you can run either by holding down the LF joystick, or the LF joystick and the "a button" combo...theres also the 180 turn move you can do to instantly turn around...you can also change the settings to change the aim speed to be faster, plus 4 different controller schemes
for me, most people are used to GoW or CoD control styles (which i understand)...RE doesn't do it that way and never has, and people dont like that...but thats just hwo it is
- ghostrunner
- GOAT
- Posts: 30833
- Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm
Re: New Xbox Live "experience"
Liked this piece of info on MLB 2k9:
http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/ne ... id=3884838
Obviously stats don't mean as much in a game where you control the players, but it's still cool to be able and go look at it. I really liked the addition of WPA to last years game.
This is on ESPN's site, by the way.And for all you stat geeks out there, MLB 2K9 also includes Sabermetrics to track all of your players including runs created, extrapolated runs basic, secondary average, equivalent average, isolated power, linear weights, marginal lineup value, stolen base runs, and range factor for all hitters. For pitchers, the stats are pitching runs, quality starts, game score, VORP, and range factor. This is a cool feature in the game and really helps you understand the value of each player in your lineup in a more detailed way.
As I look over my team, the Giants p
http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/ne ... id=3884838
Obviously stats don't mean as much in a game where you control the players, but it's still cool to be able and go look at it. I really liked the addition of WPA to last years game.
- cpebbles
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 8829
- Joined: August 30 07, 12:28 pm
Re: New Xbox Live "experience"
Incidentally, for all the trouble that getting them to agree to ship me the box was, it got here in 36 hours and the console would be halfway to the repair center already if I'd been able to drop it off before closing today.
- AdmiralKird
- MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD
- Posts: 10174
- Joined: March 7 07, 4:50 pm
- Location: Tycho Crater, Luna
Re: New Xbox Live "experience"
I'm staying away from Halo Wars. A gamepad is severely limited compared to a mouse and keyboard in this genre.
In baseball, it'd be like forcing all players to bat from the right-handed side of the plate, but with only their left hand. I mean, it works, kind of, but it sucks.
In baseball, it'd be like forcing all players to bat from the right-handed side of the plate, but with only their left hand. I mean, it works, kind of, but it sucks.
-
Michael
- GRB Founder
- Posts: 35303
- Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Contact:
Re: New Xbox Live "experience"
I think Halo Wars is meant to be an RTS game for gamers who don't play RTS on the computer. IMO it's the first console RTS game done right. I really dig the demo.
- ghostrunner
- GOAT
- Posts: 30833
- Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm
Re: New Xbox Live "experience"
Tried it last night for about 6 minutes. I'm not a fan of that genre, but it seems weird to take Halo in that direction. I'm not a big FPS person either, but the draw there is that for a run and gun, Halo is as smooth as they come. Half the fun for me is the driving, and in this game you just keep pressing X to move somewhere. That's fine, but since it's a warthog you've got a different expectation in mind. At least i do. I was also annoyed I couldn't see further ahead of the car.AdmiralKird wrote:I'm staying away from Halo Wars.
Plus the cinematic at the front looked so awesome I wanted to play that. I was wishing it would be a squad based game.
-
Jocephus
- 99% conan clips
- Posts: 64992
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Re: New Xbox Live "experience"
++AdmiralKird wrote:I'm staying away from Halo Wars. A gamepad is severely limited compared to a mouse and keyboard in this genre.
- Tambourine Man
- accepts no jimitators
- Posts: 11413
- Joined: April 21 06, 3:31 pm
- Location: I Read the News Today Oh, boy
Re: New Xbox Live "experience"
Full Spectrum Warrior was a game I really enjoyed on the first gen box, so I'm looking forward to Halo Wars. I'm digging the demo.
-
Michael
- GRB Founder
- Posts: 35303
- Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Contact:
Re: New Xbox Live "experience"
Tambourine Man wrote:Full Spectrum Warrior was a game I really enjoyed on the first gen box, so I'm looking forward to Halo Wars. I'm digging the demo.
I think multiplayer is going to be a hoot.
Halo Wars will be the first RTS I've played since C&C 1.


