Page 40 of 200

Re: Music talk Thread

Posted: February 12 14, 2:13 pm
by Radbird
heyzeus wrote:
StatmanCrothers wrote:anybody listening to "Of Monsters And Men" ?
STATMAN LIVES!

I [expletive] about Of Monsters and Men here. Because that's what I do.

http://gatewayredbirds.com/forum/viewto ... n#p1330642
Thanks, zeus...Statman comes back after a long absence and you [expletive] about the band he mentions? Now we prolly won't see him for another year!!

Re: Music talk Thread

Posted: February 12 14, 2:49 pm
by mikechamp
Radbird:

I don't know how much progressive rock you listen to, but I found Rush's "Snakes & Arrows - Live" album to be a good compilation of their new stuff and a nice sampler of their classic material.

But if you don't dig live albums, then nevermind.

Re: Music talk Thread

Posted: February 12 14, 2:57 pm
by heyzeus
Radbird wrote:
heyzeus wrote:
StatmanCrothers wrote:anybody listening to "Of Monsters And Men" ?
STATMAN LIVES!

I [expletive] about Of Monsters and Men here. Because that's what I do.

http://gatewayredbirds.com/forum/viewto ... n#p1330642
Thanks, zeus...Statman comes back after a long absence and you [expletive] about the band he mentions? Now we prolly won't see him for another year!!
No, I know, I'm awful. StatmanC, you are beloved, and we want you posting here. Of Mice and Men was a fantastic novella. See? All is forgiven.

Re: Music talk Thread

Posted: February 12 14, 9:16 pm
by cardsfansince82
lukethedrifter wrote: Think I'm going to pick up a ticket to go see Dropkick Murphys- gobirds, 82 and Madreamer's fave- and Lucero on the 25th.
I honestly don't know anything about the Dropkick Murphys other than they sound like a Boondock Saints movie converted to musical form. Mostly I just thought it was funny that the Red Sox picked them to sing the anthem.

Re: Music talk Thread

Posted: February 12 14, 10:17 pm
by Radbird
Mike: I used to have a bias against live albums, but that has turned lately. Never paid all that much attention to Rush either - so maybe will give that a listen.

Zeus: Quit persecuting Statty just because Of Mice and Men is too progressive for you to appreciate.
Ok, on to your recs -
The Smiths: there's a box set called Complete which has over 100 songs. I usually prefer to get the original albums but that's a pretty good deal. Only problem is it's $49.99 so goodbye gift card.
Modest Mouse: Have a couple of songs from The Moon & Antarctica and a few from other albums. I'll check them out.
Elliott Smith: I have From A Basement On The Hill and XO (along with a couple of songs from Good Will Hunting) but not Either/Or. If that's better than the two I have then I need to get it.
Built to Spill: I have a mix from my niece with Car on it (which is from There's Nothing Wrong with Love).

go birds: Definitely getting Modern Vampires of the City. Have their other 2 albums already. I can't find Dear Bo Jackson on iTunes. [expletive] Apple.

Thanks. Keep 'em coming.

Re: Music talk Thread

Posted: February 13 14, 7:56 am
by go birds
cardsfansince82 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote: Think I'm going to pick up a ticket to go see Dropkick Murphys- gobirds, 82 and Madreamer's fave- and Lucero on the 25th.
I honestly don't know anything about the Dropkick Murphys other than they sound like a Boondock Saints movie converted to musical form. Mostly I just thought it was funny that the Red Sox picked them to sing the anthem.
Yea, i don't dislike DM's, i just carry the same sentiment about their rendition of the National Anthem. It was [expletive] awful.

Re: Music talk Thread

Posted: February 13 14, 8:08 am
by go birds
Radbird wrote:
go birds: Definitely getting Modern Vampires of the City. Have their other 2 albums already. I can't find Dear Bo Jackson on iTunes. [expletive] Apple.

Thanks. Keep 'em coming.
That's so weird because they removed that album from Spotify as well and i don't know why. Extremely odd that it was taken off iTunes as well.

Another one of their albums i spin alot is Comeback Cadillac. You may want give them a listen before buying though....my favorite songs are:

Buttons
Brother in the Night
The House We Grew Up In
Slave to the South
King Sized Death Bed

Anyway, the only other more recent album that i can listen to all the way thru is Alt-J - An Awesome Wave.

The Head and the Heart - Let's Be Still is also really good.

Re: Music talk Thread

Posted: February 13 14, 9:46 am
by heyzeus
Radbird wrote:
Zeus: Quit persecuting Statty just because Of Mice and Men is too progressive for you to appreciate.
Ok, on to your recs -
The Smiths: there's a box set called Complete which has over 100 songs. I usually prefer to get the original albums but that's a pretty good deal. Only problem is it's $49.99 so goodbye gift card.
Modest Mouse: Have a couple of songs from The Moon & Antarctica and a few from other albums. I'll check them out.
Elliott Smith: I have From A Basement On The Hill and XO (along with a couple of songs from Good Will Hunting) but not Either/Or. If that's better than the two I have then I need to get it.
Built to Spill: I have a mix from my niece with Car on it (which is from There's Nothing Wrong with Love).
Nice, see you know lots about music already!

Smiths: The thing about the Smiths is that they only released a few proper albums. I don't like greatest hits albums either, since you tend to miss the feel of a cohesive album. In their case, you don't need the $50 box set. The Singles is basically 19 perfect songs, and is more or less the perfect essence of that band. And there's still enough to enjoy in their other albums if you feel like later picking them up too. I'd go with that.
Elliot Smith: There are two distinct phases to his career: the low-fi, singer and guitar work of his first three albums, and the more expansive, Beatles-influenced and orchestrated rock of his last 3. XO and From a Basement on A Hill (which was finished/mixed and came out posthumously) are the latter. If you like that, I'd pick up Figure 8, which is probably his best rock album. But if you like the Good Will Hunting type songs, the more intimate and hushed accoustic work, Either/Or is probably the best of that genre. A song or two from GWH is on Either/Or as well. I love both sides of Smith's work. He was a guitar and songwriting master.
Built to Spill: There's Nothing Wrong With Love is neck and neck for my favorite of their albums. The songs there are shorter and poppier. I'd get both if you feel like they're for you.

btw, ever listen to any Neko Case? I think you'd like her. Many good ones, but I'd start with Blacklisted.

Re: Music talk Thread

Posted: February 13 14, 10:38 am
by TimeForGuinness
King Krule - "6 feet beneath the moon" is pretty good

Re: Music talk Thread

Posted: February 13 14, 10:39 am
by TimeForGuinness
...and if you don't have anything by Sigur Ros, then I suggest their whole collection