2007-2008 Blues Draft and Off-Season thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
Post Reply
User avatar
StL Dan
banned
Posts: 8159
Joined: June 14 06, 9:40 pm
Location: St. Louis in spirit

Post by StL Dan »

So, let me get this straight. The Blues selected TJ Oshie and Eric Johnson in the NHL draft knowing full well they were taking the risk of each player retaining amateur status for a period of time which might allow them to become uncommitted to the Blues organization?

If true, the Blues were stupid...stupid....stupid. And, it makes me wonder if they will make the same boneheaded mistakes with any or all three of their 3 first round selections this June.

Online
User avatar
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18728
Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am

Post by cardinalkarp »

I'm not sure if the Blues selected Oshie or that got him via trade, I'm thinking it was from a trade.

User avatar
StL Dan
banned
Posts: 8159
Joined: June 14 06, 9:40 pm
Location: St. Louis in spirit

Post by StL Dan »

cardinalkarp wrote:I'm not sure if the Blues selected Oshie or that got him via trade, I'm thinking it was from a trade.
Either way, it was a bad acquisition if there was even a 25% chance he'd never be signed for reasons other than lack of talent.

User avatar
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy
Posts: 24841
Joined: July 9 06, 11:33 am
Location: Out of the Loop

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

cardinalkarp wrote:I'm not sure if the Blues selected Oshie or that got him via trade, I'm thinking it was from a trade.
They drafted him 23rd overall. He was projected before the draft to be a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Now, he's the 27th best prospect in hockey according to hockeysfuture.com.

Jarmo= genius.

User avatar
stlmark
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4089
Joined: January 20 07, 1:57 am
Location: redbirdsnation

Post by stlmark »

I wouldn't worry guys. The Blues will never let Oshie get away. Trust the Blues brass. Oshie will be a Blue for the start of the 2008 season. Also, has it been made official that Oshie is staying in UND? I know I read the article from a paper up north, but I haven't heard anything from the Blues themselves.

As far as EJ, I'm willing to bet millions that he will be with the Blues next year.

Online
User avatar
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18728
Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am

Post by cardinalkarp »

stlmark wrote:I wouldn't worry guys. The Blues will never let Oshie get away. Trust the Blues brass. Oshie will be a Blue for the start of the 2008 season. Also, has it been made official that Oshie is staying in UND? I know I read the article from a paper up north, but I haven't heard anything from the Blues themselves.

As far as EJ, I'm willing to bet millions that he will be with the Blues next year.
I heard it on the radio today that Oshie said he's staying at UND for his Junior year.

User avatar
stlmark
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4089
Joined: January 20 07, 1:57 am
Location: redbirdsnation

Post by stlmark »

cardinalkarp wrote:
stlmark wrote:I wouldn't worry guys. The Blues will never let Oshie get away. Trust the Blues brass. Oshie will be a Blue for the start of the 2008 season. Also, has it been made official that Oshie is staying in UND? I know I read the article from a paper up north, but I haven't heard anything from the Blues themselves.

As far as EJ, I'm willing to bet millions that he will be with the Blues next year.
I heard it on the radio today that Oshie said he's staying at UND for his Junior year.
Ok, then it's official. No worries. He'll be a St.Louis Blue to start the 2008-2009 season.

User avatar
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear
Posts: 13355
Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
Location: South City

Post by JCShutout »

StL Dan wrote:So, let me get this straight. The Blues selected TJ Oshie and Eric Johnson in the NHL draft knowing full well they were taking the risk of each player retaining amateur status for a period of time which might allow them to become uncommitted to the Blues organization?

If true, the Blues were stupid...stupid....stupid. And, it makes me wonder if they will make the same boneheaded mistakes with any or all three of their 3 first round selections this June.
That's the case with every player drafted.

Relax, Oshie will be a blue. The kid just wants a last shot at a nat'l championship. Remember, he's not 20 yet. He could spend all of next year at ND, all of 09 in Peoria and start with the Blues in 10 and he would be almost 22. Relax guys, that's still young.

User avatar
stlmark
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4089
Joined: January 20 07, 1:57 am
Location: redbirdsnation

Post by stlmark »

JCShutout wrote:
StL Dan wrote:So, let me get this straight. The Blues selected TJ Oshie and Eric Johnson in the NHL draft knowing full well they were taking the risk of each player retaining amateur status for a period of time which might allow them to become uncommitted to the Blues organization?

If true, the Blues were stupid...stupid....stupid. And, it makes me wonder if they will make the same boneheaded mistakes with any or all three of their 3 first round selections this June.
That's the case with every player drafted.

Relax, Oshie will be a blue. The kid just wants a last shot at a nat'l championship. Remember, he's not 20 yet. He could spend all of next year at ND, all of 09 in Peoria and start with the Blues in 10 and he would be almost 22. Relax guys, that's still young.
Exactly what I'm saying JC. :thumbup:

User avatar
StL Dan
banned
Posts: 8159
Joined: June 14 06, 9:40 pm
Location: St. Louis in spirit

Post by StL Dan »

JCShutout wrote:
StL Dan wrote:So, let me get this straight. The Blues selected TJ Oshie and Eric Johnson in the NHL draft knowing full well they were taking the risk of each player retaining amateur status for a period of time which might allow them to become uncommitted to the Blues organization?

If true, the Blues were stupid...stupid....stupid. And, it makes me wonder if they will make the same boneheaded mistakes with any or all three of their 3 first round selections this June.
That's the case with every player drafted.

Relax, Oshie will be a blue. The kid just wants a last shot at a nat'l championship. Remember, he's not 20 yet. He could spend all of next year at ND, all of 09 in Peoria and start with the Blues in 10 and he would be almost 22. Relax guys, that's still young.
Of course it is, but, the odds appear to be greater that the guys we are discussing not being Blues seems greater than normal.

That's a problem.

Post Reply