Page 5 of 22

Re: St. Louis Cardinals 2011 World Series Champions

Posted: October 29 11, 7:07 am
by Cronos
Felix The Cat wrote:Just took a peek at NSBB. Man, they are [expletive] bitter. There's like 1 or 2 sensible posters in that thread and they're getting shouted down by the masses of angry, irrational ones.
It's kind of sad. It was such a great series to watch just as a fan of the game of baseball regardless of allegiance.

As long as I'm out of Chicago when it happens (it has to eventually), a small part of me will be happy for them. I've come to know too many Cubs fans personally and they really deserve to know what this feels like.

Re: St. Louis Cardinals 2011 World Series Champions

Posted: October 29 11, 7:31 am
by BigDCardlvr
12come12 wrote:Heck of a way to break the odd decade curse. :) Seriously, the first day of preseason we lost our ace, and somehow we finish the last day of the season the only team still standing. Incredible!
I'm worried about your new moniker. You were five years off on your old one. I think to be safe you should be 08come12. ;)

Re: St. Louis Cardinals 2011 World Series Champions

Posted: October 29 11, 7:39 am
by AdmiralKird
Well, we really shouldn't win a WS except once every twenty-two years. I will take five any day.

Re: St. Louis Cardinals 2011 World Series Champions

Posted: October 29 11, 7:51 am
by Leroy
Yay.

My heart aches for the people that stopped watching the Cardinals.

Re: St. Louis Cardinals 2011 World Series Champions

Posted: October 29 11, 8:05 am
by jagtrader
Congratulations to everyone. It's a unique experience to see your favorite team win it all. I couldn't watch last night because of work, so I listened on the radio when possible and had my brother relentlessly text updates that I could sneak a furtive glance at while no one was paying attention. It was agony to experience a Game 7 that way but there was a big payoff at the end.

This one feels different to me than '06. That World Series title was just giddy jump-up-and-down happiness. I've had two kids, went to three funerals and have generally been kicked around by life since then. So this was sweet in a different way. I watched the Game 6 comeback with quiet awe. I tried to savor it knowing something like that will probably never happen for my team again.

I once thought I was finished seeing the Cardinals win the World Series when all those great teams fizzled out in the playoffs in the early 2000s. To win twice in six years is great beyond words.

Re: St. Louis Cardinals 2011 World Series Champions

Posted: October 29 11, 8:15 am
by Leroy
:cm: :cm: :cm: :cm:

Re: St. Louis Cardinals 2011 World Series Champions

Posted: October 29 11, 8:29 am
by JL21
jagtrader wrote:This one feels different to me than '06. That World Series title was just giddy jump-up-and-down happiness. I've had two kids, went to three funerals and have generally been kicked around by life since then. So this was sweet in a different way. I watched the Game 6 comeback with quiet awe. I tried to savor it knowing something like that will probably never happen for my team again.

I once thought I was finished seeing the Cardinals win the World Series when all those great teams fizzled out in the playoffs in the early 2000s. To win twice in six years is great beyond words.
It's funny how personal experiences can paint stuff like this. I was in a bad place in '06, so I can never remember that WS without also remembering all of the other bad stuff. I never could really enjoy that one. I'm so glad that I can have this amazing, improbable, insanely fun team to remember. I'll never forget this one.

Re: St. Louis Cardinals 2011 World Series Champions

Posted: October 29 11, 8:43 am
by PurdueSTL
phins wrote:Just makes me smile to see the 2011 up next to the other years...
This.

What a wonderful thing to root for a team whose present is every bit as glorious as its past.

World friggin' CHAMPIONS --I never get tired of hearing that!!

Re: St. Louis Cardinals 2011 World Series Champions

Posted: October 29 11, 8:44 am
by DonT15
jagtrader wrote:So this was sweet in a different way. I watched the Game 6 comeback with quiet awe. I tried to savor it knowing something like that will probably never happen for my team again.
That's how I feel about it, too. As we'd won the WS in 2006 (not too long ago), I saw us go down by three games to two, and then by three runs in Game 6, and I was all but resigned to defeat. But rather calmly. It just felt like it was our time to take a turn losing the WS, and it was Texas's time to win one. The Rangers have proven to be a classy organization and a worthy opponent, and if the Cards had to bow out to any team in the playoffs, it might as well have been them.

The Game 6 comebacks were an amazing thing but it just wasn't a jumping, screaming, celebratory chain of events for me. Quiet awe is an appropriate term. After Hamilton hit that 2-run blast to put the Rangers' back in front, I almost thought it was over. It seemed like a storybook tale for Texas - Hamilton finally coming back from all he's been through, years ago as well as recently, to be a hero.

Then Freese hit a walkoff homer and things got crazy.

As far as Game 7 goes, I wasn't concerned at all when Texas scored two runs in the beginning. I knew our offense would show up as well. After the Craig HR and especially after the walk and HBP made it 5-2, it just felt like a victory lap.

This series was won in Game 6, no doubt about it. Texas went all-in then (e.g. using Holland then rather than on Game 7). When we came out on top then, it was a done deal.

Re: St. Louis Cardinals 2011 World Series Champions

Posted: October 29 11, 8:46 am
by Cronos
DonT15 wrote:This series was won in Game 6, no doubt about it. Texas went all-in then (e.g. using Holland then rather than on Game 7). When we came out on top then, it was a done deal.
The decision to not use Derek Holland again may haunt Ron Washington for the rest of his days if he doesn't win one eventually.

Say what you like about Tony, but he pretty much schooled Washington in this series.