Page 5 of 18
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
Posted: July 14 19, 6:05 pm
by phins
Springfield is definitely a major park for home runs, boosts power numbers in that regard quite a bit. However, it also has historically really depressed balls in play quite a bit. This one study found that Hammons wasn't even the biggest hitter heaven in that league.
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... k-factors/
Carlson is more of a nice hitter type who allows all of his tools to play up because his make-up is considered top of the scale. Also being a switch hitter who is capable from the right side gives him a slight boost in upside and makes him someone who is a solid starter on a playoff team.
Gorman possesses the type of tools to be a force with the bat, but threatens to give a lot of his value back with the glove and on the bases. He could be a 4-win player if the glove holds up at 3B. He could be really frustrating if the swing-and-miss issues hold and he has to be a below-average 1B defensively.
I'm quite confident Carlson will make the big leagues and contribute. Gorman has the chance to be an actual star, but is far riskier.
For the most part it just comes down to appetite. I'll take the tools and take my chances that he hits close to his ceiling (Gorman), but I don't begrudge anyone who takes Carlson because he's actually the type of player I really like (walks, does everything well, great worker and character, might play a premium position).
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
Posted: July 14 19, 7:24 pm
by Big Amoco Sign
The thing is with the Texas League and young guys there in the recent half decade or so, the 18-21 year olds who've done Carlson type numbers, have been great. Only Domingo Santana is average. But Bellinger, Tatis Jr., Chapman, Gallo have all been really good. Is Carlson those guys? I just don't really know. If I see it repeated at Memphis, I'm a buyer. There's been a few duds too however, but the Cardinals push for him to be in AA at 20 has been paying off so far. I just don't know what I am getting in Springfield.
That's why I think he will be around 3-4 WAR and not the big time 5-7 WAR Bellinger type. I am not sure the Cardinals are even capable of developing that type of player. Carpenter was the last one, and he's an anomaly. And DeJong, well he's a 3 WAR 3.5 at best IMO. And he may have a low floor that we may not have seen yet, who knows?
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
Posted: July 15 19, 10:05 am
by salukifan2
Big Amoco Sign wrote:The thing is with the Texas League and young guys there in the recent half decade or so, the 18-21 year olds who've done Carlson type numbers, have been great. Only Domingo Santana is average. But Bellinger, Tatis Jr., Chapman, Gallo have all been really good. Is Carlson those guys? I just don't really know. If I see it repeated at Memphis, I'm a buyer.
Lol you are so full of it. You’re not a believer in Carlson’s power until he hits for power in the easiest league to hit for power in American professional baseball? I don’t believe you. You are just disagreeing to disagree because you’re kind of a troll.
Tommy freakin Edman has a .200 ISO in Memphis
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
Posted: July 15 19, 10:09 am
by haltz
salukifan2 wrote:Tommy freakin Edman has a .200 ISO in Memphis
too fast imo
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
Posted: July 15 19, 10:35 am
by Big Amoco Sign
salukifan2 wrote:Big Amoco Sign wrote:The thing is with the Texas League and young guys there in the recent half decade or so, the 18-21 year olds who've done Carlson type numbers, have been great. Only Domingo Santana is average. But Bellinger, Tatis Jr., Chapman, Gallo have all been really good. Is Carlson those guys? I just don't really know. If I see it repeated at Memphis, I'm a buyer.
Lol you are so full of it. You’re not a believer in Carlson’s power until he hits for power in the easiest league to hit for power in American professional baseball? I don’t believe you. You are just disagreeing to disagree because you’re kind of a troll.
Tommy freakin Edman has a .200 ISO in Memphis
Who said anything about Carlson's ISO or power in Memphis? Edman's ISO is .175 in Memphis. And ISO stabilizes at 550 PAs...how many has Edman even had in Memphis? Less than 300? And Edman's ISO in Memphis IS largely due to triples too! Not that it matters.
To be clear: I'm talking Carlson's overall production.
Are you done with the personal attacks and whiny comments yet?
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
Posted: July 15 19, 10:48 am
by salukifan2
Big Amoco Sign wrote:salukifan2 wrote:Big Amoco Sign wrote:The thing is with the Texas League and young guys there in the recent half decade or so, the 18-21 year olds who've done Carlson type numbers, have been great. Only Domingo Santana is average. But Bellinger, Tatis Jr., Chapman, Gallo have all been really good. Is Carlson those guys? I just don't really know. If I see it repeated at Memphis, I'm a buyer.
Lol you are so full of it. You’re not a believer in Carlson’s power until he hits for power in the easiest league to hit for power in American professional baseball? I don’t believe you. You are just disagreeing to disagree because you’re kind of a troll.
Tommy freakin Edman has a .200 ISO in Memphis
Who said anything about his ISO or power in Memphis?
To be clear: I'm talking overall production.
Are you done with the personal attacks and whiny comments yet?
Edman's ISO is .175 in Memphis btw.
No you have been talking about power. That’s your basis for questioning Carlson’s “overall production.”
See?
Big Amoco Sign wrote:That's good but we're supposed to ignore his earlier numbers because of a power surge at a small park? Haven't we been burned by prospects before with good Springfield numbers? I like him but he's got a couple years still, if not longer.
And how about
Big Amoco Sign wrote:ISO numbers are due to triples. More a reflection of speed and not power. Power also coming from pulling 316+ hits in cracker jack park. w/r/t Yelich, we can pick just as many failed prospect straw mans with better numbers/similar numbers too.
Edman has a .200 ISO in 2019.
You are a goal post mover and a troll
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
Posted: July 15 19, 10:51 am
by Big Amoco Sign
I guess you're still not done being mad/whiny.
How am I moving goal posts when you're using small sample 2019 stats rather than all of Edman's Memphis stats?
Where is ISO mentioned in
The thing is with the Texas League and young guys there in the recent half decade or so, the 18-21 year olds who've done Carlson type numbers, have been great. Only Domingo Santana is average. But Bellinger, Tatis Jr., Chapman, Gallo have all been really good. Is Carlson those guys? I just don't really know. If I see it repeated at Memphis, I'm a buyer. There's been a few duds too however, but the Cardinals push for him to be in AA at 20 has been paying off so far. I just don't know what I am getting in Springfield.
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
Posted: July 15 19, 10:54 am
by salukifan2
Big Amoco Sign wrote:I guess you're still not done being mad/whiny.
How am I moving goal posts when you're using small sample 2019 stats rather than all of Edman's Memphis stats?
Where is ISO mentioned in
The thing is with the Texas League and young guys there in the recent half decade or so, the 18-21 year olds who've done Carlson type numbers, have been great. Only Domingo Santana is average. But Bellinger, Tatis Jr., Chapman, Gallo have all been really good. Is Carlson those guys? I just don't really know. If I see it repeated at Memphis, I'm a buyer. There's been a few duds too however, but the Cardinals push for him to be in AA at 20 has been paying off so far. I just don't know what I am getting in Springfield.
Still struggling with reading comp and logical reasoning?
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
Posted: July 15 19, 10:56 am
by Big Amoco Sign
salukifan2 wrote:Big Amoco Sign wrote:I guess you're still not done being mad/whiny.
How am I moving goal posts when you're using small sample 2019 stats rather than all of Edman's Memphis stats?
Where is ISO mentioned in
The thing is with the Texas League and young guys there in the recent half decade or so, the 18-21 year olds who've done Carlson type numbers, have been great. Only Domingo Santana is average. But Bellinger, Tatis Jr., Chapman, Gallo have all been really good. Is Carlson those guys? I just don't really know. If I see it repeated at Memphis, I'm a buyer. There's been a few duds too however, but the Cardinals push for him to be in AA at 20 has been paying off so far. I just don't know what I am getting in Springfield.
Still struggling with reading comp and logical reasoning?
Still struggling with reading stats?
This is a wrong statement:
salukifan2 wrote:Tommy freakin Edman has a .200 ISO in Memphis
What do you not get about my post and production? ISO discussion was already hashed four posts ago. What does it have to do with a new post about Carlson and Texas League? Seems you're struggling with following along.You're the one causing a stir and started the personal attacks for no reason.
Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread
Posted: July 17 19, 8:28 pm
by salukifan2
3-4 2 HR tonight