Page 42 of 85
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
Posted: December 10 13, 7:58 am
by Socnorb11
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I don't think republucans are any smarter than democrats. Not nearly as many young healthy people are signing up as expected. Since the tax is a fraction of the premiums, imo.
Also, how much money is the gov't expecting to receive ftom insurance companies through this corridor?
I don't really care about the Republican/Democratic issue. I'm just surprised that you're SO appalled by this, as if it's unprecedented. 1) It's temporary and 2) It's not really unique.
The younger people not signing up doesn't help, for sure.
I don't kow how much they expect to receive.
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
Posted: December 10 13, 8:16 am
by AWvsCBsteeeerike3
Again, if it's temporary, and insurance companies are in fact losing money, then what's going to happen in 3 years? They just continue to lose money? Of course not. They either raise rates, cut coverage or the govt continues to bail them out.
I just get sick of the 'well the republicans wouldn't allow single-payer' argument as the republicans had no control. The democrats controlled all.
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
Posted: December 10 13, 8:20 am
by Socnorb11
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Again, if it's temporary, and insurance companies are in fact losing money, then what's going to happen in 3 years? They just continue to lose money? Of course not. They either raise rates, cut coverage or the govt continues to bail them out.
That's correct. Rates will be adjusted accordingly. That's the whole idea.
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I just get sick of the 'well the republicans wouldn't allow single-payer' argument as the republicans had no control. The democrats controlled all.
I'm not sure who's telling you that, but it's not me. As I said, all Republicans and a handful of Democrats were 100% opposed to single-payer. Clearly enough that it wasn't going to happen.
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
Posted: December 10 13, 8:23 am
by Socnorb11
Actually, with regard to what's going to happen in 3 years, there is another possibility. Ideally, insurance companies will eventually recognize that the key to bumping their own profits is to fight health care costs (which is the real problem anyway). My insurance company is already doing it, and that's the ONLY reason my rates aren't going up this year.
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
Posted: December 10 13, 8:25 am
by AWvsCBsteeeerike3
Socnorb11 wrote:AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Again, if it's temporary, and insurance companies are in fact losing money, then what's going to happen in 3 years? They just continue to lose money? Of course not. They either raise rates, cut coverage or the govt continues to bail them out.
That's correct. Rates will be adjusted accordingly. That's the whole idea.
And, your prediction if insurance companies are losing money on the direction those rates will go?
soc wrote:AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I just get sick of the 'well the republicans wouldn't allow single-payer' argument as the republicans had no control. The democrats controlled all.
I'm not sure who's telling you that, but it's not me. As I said, all Republicans and a handful of Democrats were 100% opposed to single-payer. Clearly enough that it wasn't going to happen.
Right there were basically a handful of democrats that the insurance companies bought. I have given their names before, but they were led by Mike Ross, who surprise surprise, is now running for governor. I wonder where he's getting his money?
The entire thing is gross.
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
Posted: December 10 13, 8:35 am
by Socnorb11
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote: And, your prediction if insurance companies are losing money on the direction those rates will go?
See my post above, with regard to lowering health care costs.
But honestly, I'll be shocked if they're losing money.
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
Posted: December 10 13, 8:39 am
by AWvsCBsteeeerike3
Stay tuned, I guess.
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
Posted: December 10 13, 10:27 am
by Joe Shlabotnik
About the young not signing up. That happened in Massachusetts too. The young and healthy waited until the last minute. Makes sense since its a financial transaction. Not saying it will happen like that with o-care, but there's a good probability that will happen. No need for alarm until them last week of March when penalties are on the doorstep.
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
Posted: December 11 13, 9:25 am
by Jocephus
for what its worth looks like the site may be operating better as they apparently have hit 1 million sign ups
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
Posted: December 11 13, 10:27 am
by Jocephus
"Senator Rubio spent time looking at all the options and decided to enroll through the D.C. exchange for coverage for him and his family," Rubio's spokeswoman Brooke Sammon told the Times, adding that "Senator Rubio is following the law, even though he opposes it."