ndistops wrote:Prior had a 175 ERA+ in his first full season in the majors (03)...and was still an above average pitcher in 2004 and 2005 (113 and 116) despite not being fully healthy either year. (Not comparing to Ankiel here, just for information.)
I really thought that Prior was going to be the next Vida Blue.
Don't get me started on Ankiel. He WAS Sandy Koufax. The worst part is, if he ever plays in the show again, our outfielder will have the best curveball in the lead. Such a waste, he would have been one of the best ever. I've never seen talent like that in my lifetime... Hard sinking 94 heat with the nastiest curve I've seen coming out of the hand of a lefty. Makes me upset everytime I look at his rookie and high school numbers, he was FILTHY. Moral of the story, if your dad is a catcher don't buy him hunting knives.
Arthur Dent wrote:This is a real shame. When he was on, Prior was amazing. I hope to see him on his game again.
As a Baseball fan I love watching dominating pitcher... However, Prior acted like he knew it all and talked way too much smack. Maybe that's just his competitive nature, but you got to earn to talk like he did. I don't mind seeing him struggle a bit when he thought he was untouchable.
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Anyone who ever wants to pitch to David Eckstein over Pujols in any situation, including pick-up whiffle ball games at family barbecues when Pujols has dengue fever and Eckstein gets to use one of those over-sized red bats while Pujols has to hit with a live cobra, is a godd--- moron of the highest order.
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:What else did Prior say besides the comment about hoping the Cards got beat by the Astros?
Nothing that I can recall. But, given the context of when he said it, (middle of heated division race) nothing else was needed to provoke never-ending scorn.
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Anyone who ever wants to pitch to David Eckstein over Pujols in any situation, including pick-up whiffle ball games at family barbecues when Pujols has dengue fever and Eckstein gets to use one of those over-sized red bats while Pujols has to hit with a live cobra, is a godd--- moron of the highest order.
That is awesome.
That's from yesterday's FireJoeMorgan, right? That site is too good for words.
ndistops wrote:With all due respect, there are lots of Ankiels in baseball annals. There aren't many Priors.
175 IP, 133 ERA+ at age 20? Six starts at a 68 ERA+ the next year and then they're pretty much done?
if you look at the people who have topped that ERA+
you have Gooden blowing everyone away 226
(skipping dead ball era players)
Drysdale at 154
Feller at 154
Eck at 146
Walter Johnson 139
Fernando Valenzuala 134
Gary Nolan 132
Burt Blyleven 127
Don Gullet 127
(there are some gaps I dug through baseball reference)
There are some weaker members of that group, but wow that is a studly group of people to be included with.