Life After Eckstein
- BW23
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 12896
- Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm
- GatewaySnayke
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11923
- Joined: July 23 06, 11:54 pm
- Location: GatewaySnaykebird
Miles would put up around a .230/.280/.330 line if he were given 500 at-bats, and the Braves would be in zero position to ask for a team's best prospect for a 32 year old shortstop who is not even among the best in the game.BW23 wrote:Atlanta probably wouldn't want anything from the Cards unless Rasmus is involved. I'll take Miles at SS over Renteria with that being the cost.
The Cards should not, in any way, consider dealing for Renteria. He had his chance to stay. They disrespected him, though. Find someone else.
And the Cardinals would not let some media soap opera BS stand in the way of making a trade. In fact, I'm not sure there's a single team that would look at comments made three years ago as a deciding factor for a trade. This is a business, and money talks.
- Hungary Jack
- Mother Earth
- Posts: 19536
- Joined: July 24 06, 6:03 am
- Location: In Cognito
If it came down to signing Eckstein or Uribe for a price of $3-4M per year, I think I'd take Uribe at this point. He's got more range, a much stronger arm, and will post a similar to slightly higher OPS with more slugging, less on-base. This obviously means finding a new leadoff hitter--probably someone to play RF, which would mean shipping Juan E.
- BW23
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 12896
- Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm
Whether he is or isn't, Renteria is considered one of the best SSs in baseball still. And, at a little over $6M next year, and an option for 09, his contract isn't bad at all for the Braves.
The Braves traded for him when his value couldn't have been much lower. They gave away their top prospect. You better believe they'd ask for Rasmus. And why shouldn't they? There's nothing else they'd even remotely want. With Jones likely leaving, CF seems to be a spot they'll have a need for. In fact, it's easily their biggest need.
Yes, Miles could very well put those numbers up. That's fine if it means not dealing for Renteria.
The Braves traded for him when his value couldn't have been much lower. They gave away their top prospect. You better believe they'd ask for Rasmus. And why shouldn't they? There's nothing else they'd even remotely want. With Jones likely leaving, CF seems to be a spot they'll have a need for. In fact, it's easily their biggest need.
Yes, Miles could very well put those numbers up. That's fine if it means not dealing for Renteria.
- Bo Hart
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 8770
- Joined: April 14 06, 9:50 pm
Uribe has a sub-.300 OBP in his career. I hope we stay far, far away.Hungary Jack wrote:If it came down to signing Eckstein or Uribe for a price of $3-4M per year, I think I'd take Uribe at this point. He's got more range, a much stronger arm, and will post a similar to slightly higher OPS with more slugging, less on-base. This obviously means finding a new leadoff hitter--probably someone to play RF, which would mean shipping Juan E.
- Hungary Jack
- Mother Earth
- Posts: 19536
- Joined: July 24 06, 6:03 am
- Location: In Cognito
Holy smokes, you're right. I didn't realize it was that bad. I recant.Kyle wrote:Uribe has a sub-.300 OBP in his career. I hope we stay far, far away.Hungary Jack wrote:If it came down to signing Eckstein or Uribe for a price of $3-4M per year, I think I'd take Uribe at this point. He's got more range, a much stronger arm, and will post a similar to slightly higher OPS with more slugging, less on-base. This obviously means finding a new leadoff hitter--probably someone to play RF, which would mean shipping Juan E.
-
greenback44
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11664
- Joined: June 26 06, 8:54 pm
- Location: In a Small Town with Jack and Diane
They also could use some starting pitching, and Cox seemed fond of a certain guy you're not so high on.BW23 wrote:You better believe they'd ask for Rasmus. And why shouldn't they? There's nothing else they'd even remotely want. With Jones likely leaving, CF seems to be a spot they'll have a need for. In fact, it's easily their biggest need.
Renteria is getting $9M in 2008; that is, the Braves can pocket the cash the Red Sox are sending to them. I'd rather have Lillibridge or Escobar, but with salaries taken into consideration, both are more valuable than Renteria.
-
planet planet
- http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy
- Posts: 24904
- Joined: April 15 06, 6:25 pm
- Location: St. Louis



