How do you price team chemistry?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
greenback44
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11665
Joined: June 26 06, 8:54 pm
Location: In a Small Town with Jack and Diane

Post by greenback44 »

clement wrote:True, but what explains fluctuations in performance? Good year to bad year to good year again? Just normal random variation? It could be, but when a variation extends to months or even a whole season, it becomes hard to categorize as random.
I don't see the connection here. The way baseball is setup, it's built for random variation. Your generic .270 hitter can't get .270 hits each at-bat. He can't get 1.35 hits when he gets 5 at-bats in a game.

Going back to the weather analogy, this spring we've had weekends where the high temperature was in the 70s then in the 30s; that's not psychology. I'm sure teammates, clubhouse, etc. do have some impact on players, but I'm also sure that there's a tendency to overstate their significance and to give post hoc credit/blame to what's merely the noise of a dynamic system. These tendencies have reached the point of mysticism, and I'm not really sure what the gain is when you go from "random variation" to "psychological forces beyond our comprehension are at work."

User avatar
clement
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 6008
Joined: April 20 06, 10:26 pm

Post by clement »

greenback44 wrote:
clement wrote:True, but what explains fluctuations in performance? Good year to bad year to good year again? Just normal random variation? It could be, but when a variation extends to months or even a whole season, it becomes hard to categorize as random.
I don't see the connection here. The way baseball is setup, it's built for random variation. Your generic .270 hitter can't get .270 hits each at-bat. He can't get 1.35 hits when he gets 5 at-bats in a game.
I didn't say anything about .270 at bat, I was talking about over the course of a season. What explains a hitter over the course of 500+ at bats hitting .330 one year and .250 the next? Surely 500+ at bats is a sufficient enough sample size that he should have regressed to his mean, which in this case would be around .290. Or what is his true mean?
Going back to the weather analogy, this spring we've had weekends where the high temperature was in the 70s then in the 30s; that's not psychology.
Sorry but I don't really get the weather analogy. Weather is affected by science, not psychology. There are no humans involved in weather performance, unless you are talking about global warming, which is a different debate entirely.
I'm sure teammates, clubhouse, etc. do have some impact on players, but I'm also sure that there's a tendency to overstate their significance and to give post hoc credit/blame to what's merely the noise of a dynamic system. These tendencies have reached the point of mysticism, and I'm not really sure what the gain is when you go from "random variation" to "psychological forces beyond our comprehension are at work."
Well, what you are sure of, I'm quite not sure of. ;) It may be difficult to understand and pin down, but that doesn't make it mystical. The thing to gain is recognizing the importance of human behaviour, attitudes, motivations, and social interactions, in performance. Businesses took decades to realize it, going back to scientific management, to today. Fortunately for me, times have changed, and dramatically so. CEO's, bankers, engineers, and executives in general are pretty talented people by and large. Yet they seem to have recognized (or at least have been fooled into thinking) that teamwork, creating good "chemistry", work environment, managing conflict, managing relationships, etc. are pretty important. I don't see the harm in baseball players, managers, and GMs also trying to figure this stuff out and learn to benefit from it.

And I don't think these things are beyond our comprehension. They just aren't easily quantifiable and some aspects aren't quantifiable at all. How do you measure the quality of a manager? Wins and losses? I think that's a pretty poor and extremely limited measure, although the more games managed, the more weight such a statistic might carry. Now that might be what most GM's do, but that doesn't mean they are doing it in the best way. Now I'm sure people can devise all kinds of quantifiable ways to measure managerial performance, and I guess you could do an analysis of managerial decision-making (which really is only one of the many duties of a baseball manager). But what about things like keeping the team together when they are down, motivating the troops, getting the most out of each and every player, managing conflicts, communicating well, etc etc. You know, the same kinds of things that managers of businesses have to do.

Ultimately a manager has to deliver results, and he will be held accountable for that. But to suggest that we can't possibly understand what good leadership is, or what good teamwork is, or what good chemistry in a team is, and therefore we have to chalk it up to random variation, to me is giving up way too easily. It's difficult. It's difficult for a baseball team just as it is for multi-national corporations. But I believe it can be done and it does have an effect on team performance.

Izzyman
Everyday Player
Posts: 208
Joined: August 21 06, 4:22 pm
Location: MO.

Post by Izzyman »

Michael wrote:Even if good chemistry has a significant impact on a team how does GM create it? Should a GM even try?


Does winning create good chemistry or the other way around?
I'd say the best way to get good chemistry if you are the GM is to get good guys like Matheny, Eck and Williams. Even if the players don't like each other they still want to win so they do what's best for the team. I'm not sure if a guy like Manny would do that.

User avatar
skmsw
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 6340
Joined: April 18 06, 7:12 pm
Location: The Hub

Post by skmsw »

Izzyman wrote:
Michael wrote:Even if good chemistry has a significant impact on a team how does GM create it? Should a GM even try?


Does winning create good chemistry or the other way around?
I'd say the best way to get good chemistry if you are the GM is to get good guys like Matheny, Eck and Williams. Even if the players don't like each other they still want to win so they do what's best for the team. I'm not sure if a guy like Manny would do that.
Manny has as many rings as Albert. And Manny has one more World Series MVP than Albert.

I believe that ballplayers are human beings, subject to many of the same forces as the rest of us. But I also believe that if we're picking teams, and you give me a "soft" player like Edgar, a "lazy" player like Manny, and a "bad clubhouse" guy like Piazza -- and you take a "hustle" guy like Eck, a "good guy" like Matheny, and a "chemistry" guy like Williams -- all else being equal, my team will kick your team's @$$.

Chemistry does not win ballgames. Luck and talent do.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Post by jim »

I just want to make it clear that my opinion about chemistry not really being a factor(or at least how I think people have it defined in their heads) was defined when I was playing the game, not reading "Moneyball" and such.

If you want to define chemistry as a group of guys that don't necessarily like each other, enjoy each others company, or really care how the other person does outside of their own self interests, yet come to the park and work hard everyday then OK - I'll put stock in that. But if you think of it as the rah-rah, root your teammate on and pat him on the back when he does a good job, go get a pizza after the game, and bite your nails when he's up in a crucial situation, then in my experience it doesn't matter.

Someone way up the thread said something very true - baseball is a game where you can play selfishly with your own self interests in mind and be a "team" player 98 percent of the time. A.J. Pierzynski was once asked about Bonds as a teammate, he paused a moment, and said something like "You know, when he's up to the plate he is the best teammate in the world".

I agree with that.

Leeyat
All-Star
Posts: 1287
Joined: August 10 06, 7:57 am
Location: Taipei, Taiwan

Post by Leeyat »

Image
How about this one? :wink:

I always like it, call it anything you want! =D>

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12536
Joined: April 25 06, 6:43 pm
Location: Austin

Post by Arthur Dent »

clement wrote:Weather is affected by science, not psychology.
Freudian slip? :wink:

Post Reply