Page 52 of 56

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Posted: January 14 08, 10:10 pm
by Maclowery
I'm lost. What are we joking about here?

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Posted: January 14 08, 10:14 pm
by picasso
Maclowery wrote:I'm lost. What are we joking about here?
The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, St.Louis.

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Posted: January 14 08, 11:49 pm
by haltz
Dan Szymborski wrote:Love the challenge trade! Both third basemen are injury concerns. Rolen's a bit better when completely healthy but also has the lower chance of being completely healthy. I think the risk/reward scenarios actually work out pretty well for both teams - the Blue Jays are against very tough competition and have some heavy groundballers, so they want the more fielding oriented guy with the biggest payoff, since they're not going to slip into the playoffs with 88 wins anytime soon and the Cardinals, against rather weak competition, would rather have the safer bet.

Code: Select all

2008 ZiPS Projection - Scott Rolen
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              AB   R    H  2B 3B  HR RBI  BB  SO  SB    BA   OBP   SLG   OPS+  DR   
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Projection   380  58   93  24  1  10  57  38  63   3  .245  .319  .392    84   14
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opt. (15%)   473  89  140  38  2  19  81  50  66   6  .296  .369  .505   127   17
Pes. (15%)   355  47   83  24  0   8  43  28  68   2  .234  .293  .369    73   10 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top Offensive Comps:  Clete Boyer, Pinky "The Egalitarian" Higgins

2008 ZiPS Projection - Troy Glaus
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              AB   R    H  2B 3B  HR RBI  BB  SO  SB    BA   OBP   SLG   OPS+  DR   
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Projection   469  71  120  22  0  24  78  77 107   1  .256  .362  .456   112  -10
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opt. (15%)   497  88  143  27  1  30  97  87 103   2  .288  .397  .527   138   -7
Pes. (15%)   420  54   99  16  0  16  59  60 103   0  .236  .332  .388    87  -14  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top Offensive Comps:  Rico Petrocelli, Todd Zeile

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Posted: January 14 08, 11:59 pm
by Maclowery
picasso wrote:
Maclowery wrote:I'm lost. What are we joking about here?
The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, St.Louis.
Augh! So obvious. I was going for physical features, playings styles, names, jeez. Duh.

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Posted: January 15 08, 8:57 am
by jim
Maclowery wrote:
picasso wrote:
Maclowery wrote:I'm lost. What are we joking about here?
The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, St.Louis.
Augh! So obvious. I was going for physical features, playings styles, names, jeez. Duh.
Don't feel bad, I didn't get it right away either. Until I saw Percival I didn't understand the connection.

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Posted: January 15 08, 11:42 am
by Team
So apparently Glaus has wanted to play for the Cardinals for quite a while, I think it may have all started in the playoffs in 2001
It was October. The Anaheim Angels were sitting at home again. Angels third baseman Troy Glaus had nothing better to do. So he decided to take his buddy up on his invitation.

"Actually, it was a bet. He had to come," St. Louis Cardinals center fielder Jim Edmonds said. "If the Angels made the playoffs, I told him I'd be there. If the Cardinals made it, he had to come to St. Louis.

"I really wanted him to be there. I knew the whole St. Louis experience would blow his mind."

Glaus boarded the plane Oct. 12, figuring he'd stop in for a couple of days, cheer on one of his best friends and maybe get some good barbecue.

Never did he envision that it would be a life-altering experience.

"I'd never seen anything like it," Glaus said.

There he was, sitting in Busch Stadium, absolutely mesmerized, sitting in a sea of red. Everyone was wearing their Cardinals' colors. And that buzz? It was like old-time baseball. He was fascinated to see everyone on the edge of their seat for every pitch.

Full Story

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Posted: January 15 08, 3:00 pm
by Magneto2.0

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Posted: January 15 08, 3:03 pm
by JL21
haltz wrote:
Dan Szymborski wrote:Love the challenge trade! Both third basemen are injury concerns. Rolen's a bit better when completely healthy but also has the lower chance of being completely healthy. I think the risk/reward scenarios actually work out pretty well for both teams - the Blue Jays are against very tough competition and have some heavy groundballers, so they want the more fielding oriented guy with the biggest payoff, since they're not going to slip into the playoffs with 88 wins anytime soon and the Cardinals, against rather weak competition, would rather have the safer bet.

Code: Select all

2008 ZiPS Projection - Scott Rolen
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              AB   R    H  2B 3B  HR RBI  BB  SO  SB    BA   OBP   SLG   OPS+  DR   
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Projection   380  58   93  24  1  10  57  38  63   3  .245  .319  .392    84   14
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opt. (15%)   473  89  140  38  2  19  81  50  66   6  .296  .369  .505   127   17
Pes. (15%)   355  47   83  24  0   8  43  28  68   2  .234  .293  .369    73   10 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top Offensive Comps:  Clete Boyer, Pinky "The Egalitarian" Higgins

2008 ZiPS Projection - Troy Glaus
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              AB   R    H  2B 3B  HR RBI  BB  SO  SB    BA   OBP   SLG   OPS+  DR   
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Projection   469  71  120  22  0  24  78  77 107   1  .256  .362  .456   112  -10
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opt. (15%)   497  88  143  27  1  30  97  87 103   2  .288  .397  .527   138   -7
Pes. (15%)   420  54   99  16  0  16  59  60 103   0  .236  .332  .388    87  -14  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top Offensive Comps:  Rico Petrocelli, Todd Zeile
Wow, that's a pretty highly favorable point in Glaus' favor. Though it's tough to say how much weight to put in DR.

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Posted: January 15 08, 3:12 pm
by Dillagii
Magneto2.0 wrote:Scott Rolen compilation

http://my.break.com/content/view.aspx?ContentID=259491
Can you paraphrase this for those who cant view the page? Its blocked at work.

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Posted: January 15 08, 3:17 pm
by Magneto2.0
DiLLaGii wrote:
Magneto2.0 wrote:Scott Rolen compilation

http://my.break.com/content/view.aspx?ContentID=259491
Can you paraphrase this for those who cant view the page? Its blocked at work.
It's basically all the highlights from Scott Rolen's 2006 season. It's a very good video. I'm still dumbfounded by some of the plays he makes.