rant: fine dining

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Post Reply
User avatar
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively
Posts: 8390
Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: rant: fine dining

Post by 33anda3rd »

Diddy wrote:I understood just tried to read more into it. Maybe alittle because I've got a family member who used one of those reality shows to further his brand and given him some great oppertunities
The guy who worked for us, he knew our chef. And when he applied we knew that he was going on a reality show and that he finished like 2nd or 3rd or something. So we kept him around, thinking the publicity from the show would be publicity for us, and it would be a good thing. We canned him before the season debuted because he was such a disaster and it was not worth the headache.

User avatar
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively
Posts: 8390
Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: rant: fine dining

Post by 33anda3rd »

jim wrote:If I owned a restaurant on the north side of Chicago and I saw any Cub players come in I would be serving a nice filet covered in a white arsenic sauce.
I'd treat them really well because that person is probably a millionaire with a following and if he passed word along how much he liked my place that would be great for me.

Ian Kinsler (who had a pretty good 2011 WS vs us) was in last summer on a travel day before a White Sox series. I schmoozed the hell out of him, told him I thought he was a legit AL MVP candidate that year, and what an honor it was to have him in. Flirted with Mrs. Kinsler a bit. Next night, Verlander and Scherzer were in. That's how it works.

User avatar
stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother
Posts: 13380
Joined: April 17 06, 7:36 pm

Re: rant: fine dining

Post by stlouie_lipp »

33anda3rd wrote:
Diddy wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:And speaking of the "incessant media turning cooks into chefs in the minds of the public."

So many dumb competition TV shows. One of our cooks, who we fired over a year ago because he could not do a simple line-cook job in our place, recently went deep on a cooking show. What do they call people on those shows? Chefs. Chef this, chef that. Good morning cheftestants. Here is your challenge, chefs. I would bet that people watching on TV actually think that the fat, bloated boozehound we fired because he couldn't prep a station for service see him go deep on a TV show and think he's a "chef." Most of them are line cooks on those shows, not chefs, and the talent is worse the further down the ladder you get from Top Chef, which does have legit talent. Not everyone with a high school degree, a body full of tattoos, and an achy body from working 70 hours/week in the kitchen is "chef." The overwhelming majority of them are not.
Jealous much?
I don't think you get what I'm saying. Maybe you do. There's a guy worked for us. 60 pounds overweight, a trainwreck of a person who we fired because he was a sweaty, hungover, mess of cocaine and booze who could not hack it as a line cook in our kitchen. He was on a reality show, did pretty well. On that show, and others, it's: "Ok, chefts, here's your next challenge." He's not a chef. He's a cook who has had like 5 jobs since we canned him a year ago and who is currently, far as I know, not employed. Those shows make the public think a cook is a chef. Some are, on Top Chef, but most of those competition shows are line cooks being elevated in the minds of the public. They're reality TV stars with cook jobs. Not chefs.
I think most people who watch those shows understand that without even owning a restaurant.

User avatar
stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother
Posts: 13380
Joined: April 17 06, 7:36 pm

Re: rant: fine dining

Post by stlouie_lipp »

33anda3rd wrote:
jim wrote:If I owned a restaurant on the north side of Chicago and I saw any Cub players come in I would be serving a nice filet covered in a white arsenic sauce.
I'd treat them really well because that person is probably a millionaire with a following and if he passed word along how much he liked my place that would be great for me.

Ian Kinsler (who had a pretty good 2011 WS vs us) was in last summer on a travel day before a White Sox series. I schmoozed the hell out of him, told him I thought he was a legit AL MVP candidate that year, and what an honor it was to have him in. Flirted with Mrs. Kinsler a bit. Next night, Verlander and Scherzer were in. That's how it works.
AND U DND'T TELL HIM TO SIGN W/ THE CARDS?!?!?!?

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Re: rant: fine dining

Post by jim »

I know someone how met Chris Duncan in a restaurant and did that thing where you go to the bathroom and don't wash your hands and then shake someone elses hand. You should have done that at least.

User avatar
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively
Posts: 8390
Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: rant: fine dining

Post by 33anda3rd »

stlouie_lipp wrote: I think most people who watch those shows understand that without even owning a restaurant.
You'd be surprised. The media has turned kitchen personnel into rock stars in the eyes of a lot of people, and they have a bit of a rock star thing going, although it's a hyper-specific rock star thing relegated to a small-ish circle of foodies who give a [expletive], right down to the groupies. The bored bougie ladies out prowling events like Bacon Fest and Green City Farmers Market BBQ looking for a chef to hook up with.

Foodies are weird, but they're just like anyone else who has a particularly super-specific interest, right down to their fetishes.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Re: rant: fine dining

Post by TimeForGuinness »

33anda3rd wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote: I think most people who watch those shows understand that without even owning a restaurant.
You'd be surprised. The media has turned kitchen personnel into rock stars in the eyes of a lot of people, and they have a bit of a rock star thing going, although it's a hyper-specific rock star thing relegated to a small-ish circle of foodies who give a [expletive], right down to the groupies. The bored bougie ladies out prowling events like Bacon Fest and Green City Farmers Market BBQ looking for a chef to hook up with.

Foodies are weird, but they're just like anyone else who has a particularly super-specific interest, right down to their fetishes.
I guess I was always of the opinion that if you were already that good, you wouldn't need a reality competition cooking show to cry on.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Re: rant: fine dining

Post by jim »

33anda3rd wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote: I think most people who watch those shows understand that without even owning a restaurant.
You'd be surprised. The media has turned kitchen personnel into rock stars in the eyes of a lot of people, and they have a bit of a rock star thing going, although it's a hyper-specific rock star thing relegated to a small-ish circle of foodies who give a [expletive], right down to the groupies. The bored bougie ladies out prowling events like Bacon Fest and Green City Farmers Market BBQ looking for a chef to hook up with.

Foodies are weird, but they're just like anyone else who has a particularly super-specific interest, right down to their fetishes.
Good lord I can only imagine what the women stalking chefs must be like. An absolutely terrifying thought.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 3583
Joined: April 18 06, 7:45 pm

Re: rant: fine dining

Post by Diddy »

TimeForGuinness wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote: I think most people who watch those shows understand that without even owning a restaurant.
You'd be surprised. The media has turned kitchen personnel into rock stars in the eyes of a lot of people, and they have a bit of a rock star thing going, although it's a hyper-specific rock star thing relegated to a small-ish circle of foodies who give a [expletive], right down to the groupies. The bored bougie ladies out prowling events like Bacon Fest and Green City Farmers Market BBQ looking for a chef to hook up with.

Foodies are weird, but they're just like anyone else who has a particularly super-specific interest, right down to their fetishes.
I guess I was always of the opinion that if you were already that good, you wouldn't need a reality competition cooking show to cry on.
It's an advertisement. It really doesn't matter how good you are if no one knows who you are. I'm really supprised that someone could bs their way through one of those that easily. There is a lot of science and more that goes into being a good chef then just being able to follow a recipe.
Last edited by Diddy on February 18 15, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: rant: fine dining

Post by Freed Roger »

jim wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote: I think most people who watch those shows understand that without even owning a restaurant.
You'd be surprised. The media has turned kitchen personnel into rock stars in the eyes of a lot of people, and they have a bit of a rock star thing going, although it's a hyper-specific rock star thing relegated to a small-ish circle of foodies who give a [expletive], right down to the groupies. The bored bougie ladies out prowling events like Bacon Fest and Green City Farmers Market BBQ looking for a chef to hook up with.

Foodies are weird, but they're just like anyone else who has a particularly super-specific interest, right down to their fetishes.
Good lord I can only imagine what the women stalking chefs must be like. An absolutely terrifying thought.
I was wondering what all those ladies gussied up were doing outside the Olive Garden the other night.

Post Reply