Page 56 of 127
Re: rant: fine dining
Posted: February 18 15, 10:38 am
by Diddy
One of my chef friends posted this on Facebook. He's not related just a friend, to bad he's got tattoos and only a high school education.
Re: rant: fine dining
Posted: February 18 15, 10:56 am
by jim
I think people should stop playing with their food.
Re: rant: fine dining
Posted: February 18 15, 10:58 am
by Diddy
Lol I'm sure it would be great but probably not what I'd order. There are a lot if people that will go there just to try it though.
Re: rant: fine dining
Posted: February 18 15, 11:02 am
by AWvsCBsteeeerike3
That looks good, and I'm sure it is. But, gosh dangit. There's so little of it.
Re: rant: fine dining
Posted: February 18 15, 11:04 am
by Freed Roger
I'd hit it.
Re: rant: fine dining
Posted: February 18 15, 11:09 am
by Diddy
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:That looks good, and I'm sure it is. But, gosh dangit. There's so little of it.
I'd guess its under $15 knowing their price point. so not priced horrible but most people aren't going to order just one plate.
Re: rant: fine dining
Posted: February 18 15, 11:16 am
by 33anda3rd
Diddy wrote:It's an advertisement. It really doesn't matter how good you are if no one knows who you are. I'm really supprised that someone could be their way through one of those that easily. There is a lot of science and more that goes into being a good chef then just being able to follow a recipe.
You can BS your way through one of those shows if you are a good cook. Those shows require you to cook, challenge-to-challenge. You have to be a good cook.
You can work your way to a certain spot in the restaurant world without being a great cook, a lesser cook than those on reality shows, if you have the very specific skills required for restaurant work, most of them stress- and time management-related. Prepping a station starting at 1pm, being ready for the first guest when you open, tickets firing off, chef yelling at you, dietary restrictions and allergies causing you to change up routine, the dishwasher dropping a pile of hotel pans on the floor, chef yelling at you, servers sending on-the-fly pickups because they forgot to ring something, a million other things. If you can manage that, and execute the dishes the way chef wants them done, you can succeed without being a very good cook.
Re: rant: fine dining
Posted: February 18 15, 11:18 am
by jim
Diddy wrote:AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:That looks good, and I'm sure it is. But, gosh dangit. There's so little of it.
I'd guess its under $15 knowing their price point. so not priced horrible but most people aren't going to order just one plate.
$15 for an egg? That's pretty horrible. That's a rip-off actually.
Re: rant: fine dining
Posted: February 18 15, 11:21 am
by ghostrunner
I understand enjoying a good, well-prepared meal and it's always fun to eat when you don't have to make it. Also fun to try new things, but it's a weird thing when people get elitist about restaurant food. Someone else made something and you gave them money for it. It's not really an accomplishment. I'd think if anything people would get snobby about their own cooking ability. I'm by no means a great cook and I could never just improvise a dish, but the only food pictures I've ever taken are when I've made something difficult. I usually take a picture of the paella I make at Easter, even though so far I haven't been completely satisfied with how it's turned out. Partly it's to have a record of what I did, but mostly just because it takes so damn long to make.
Re: rant: fine dining
Posted: February 18 15, 11:25 am
by 33anda3rd
Ghost, I'm with you. I never photograph food I get at a restaurant. I think it's the new form of hipster elitism. I think I've said this on this board before. 20 years ago it was "I got this available-on-the-Japanese-tour-only 12-inch of Radiohead remixes." Now, the internet has flattened that. Everyone has heard that collection of Radiohead remixes. Everyone has heard the new Rae Sremmurd song the day it hits the web and has an instant opinion. So now, it's food. It's "here's a pic of my $400 meal at Alinea." It cracks me up to no end when someone takes a pic of a cocktail. A cocktail! Brown, with some orange peel as garnish, in a glass. There couldn't be anything less interesting to share, visually. But people think it's important to put it out there with a tag on it saying "Hey, I was at this place tonight!"